An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beautiful, Beautiful Dvd Available

faithcecelia

I have just seen that Notting Hill now have the other DVD I have mentioned on their website, 'Never Lose Hope'. This is the biography of Sr Patricia Mary who was diagnosed with and died from cancer during the filming of 'No Greater Love'.

It is a stunning dvd - in its simplicity and its beauty, and in the way you can see how calmly Sister accepted what was happening and managed to stay calm and serene through to the end. I cried buckets watching it and this was a sister I only knew by reputation. The scene of her body in its open coffin, hands clutching her handwritten vows had me a sobbing wreck (and has again just writing it!)

There is no set charge for the dvd and all profits go to charity [url="http://carmelitesnottinghill.org.uk/craftynun/never-lose-hope-dvd-2/"]http://carmelitesnottinghill.org.uk/craftynun/never-lose-hope-dvd-2/[/url] I recommend it to absolutely anyone!

Totally Franciscan

I would like to order this DVD, but there is no indication that they mail to the United States. Also, and I am showing my lack of knowledge for all things electronic, are there differences in US and UK DVD's? Help !!!!!

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1315266042' post='2300694']
I would like to order this DVD, but there is no indication that they mail to the United States. Also, and I am showing my lack of knowledge for all things electronic, are there differences in US and UK DVD's? Help !!!!!
[/quote]

They do mail internationally - all their main items at present include international postage - so I would just bear that in mind when making a donation. I have just looked at my copy, and compared it to No Greater Love, and I think this one is just a DVR so should be fine - these were made by s sister in the community not the film maker, though it uses some of his film. Im sure they could confirm if you email - they reply very quickly. Also, most PC/Lappys with dvd drive can play international discs.

Edited by faithcecelia

Totally Franciscan

Thanks so much, faithcecelia. I hadn't thought about playing it on the computer. I will contact them tonight.

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1315266042' post='2300694']
[/quote]

Yes US and Canada are Region 1 DVDs (so look for Region 1 on any DVDs you buy). I think the UK and other countries are Region 2. So this DVD would have to be Region 1 playable or non-region - forget the term for it. The "No Greater Love" DVD was made available in Region 1 so unless you have an international DVD player. Or use the laptop.

Hopefully it's available in Region 1 or all player ready. I would love to get it myself.

I have sent an email (that I needed to send anyway) and at the end asked about what region the disks are, so I will post here when I get a reply.

Totally Franciscan

I just heard back from Sister Susan, who said the DVD, Never Lose Hope, will NOT play on US DVD players, but will play on computers. She also said they ship anywhere in the world.

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1315680679' post='2303014']
I just heard back from Sister Susan, who said the DVD, Never Lose Hope, will NOT play on US DVD players, but will play on computers. She also said they ship anywhere in the world.
[/quote]

Thanks, my email was to SrMJ so delayed but her mother's sudden death. I love Sr Susan, she was my angel :saint2:

Totally Franciscan

I ordered the DVD this morning, but had some trouble. First, I had to figure out US currency into UK pounds. (Is the UK still using pounds instead of Euros?) Then it asked for my credit card and listed Discover Card, but when submitting, the program said it could not take Discover and to choose another form of payment. The only other card I had was Mastercard; thankfully, it took that. Then, when I put in my US address, it automatically put in United Kingdom. Thankfully I found a box that allowed me to tell of this problem that I was NOT in the UK. As security, I sent Sr. Susan an email explaining the problem, as faithcecelia said the sisters make and mail the DVD's. So, if anyone wants to order, just be aware that you might run into these problems, especially if you are in a different country than the UK.

Good point, I think one problem would be that we dont have Discover card types over here, so UK systems may not accept them. The did ask me for feedback, so once SrMJ is back and I have discussed the vocational things with her, I will let her have a little list, so thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally Franciscan

I received my DVD, Never Lose Hope, today and watched it this evening. Very lovely; I recommend it highly. I was surprised to receive it only nine days after ordering, AND it played very well on my computer.