An Old School Catholic Message Board

What To Do About Transients?

Lil Red

For those of you who don't know, I don't live in the best neighborhood - drug activity, gang activity, graffiti on our fences, etc. Well, lately, there seems to have developed a little 'tent' city of transients in the empty field next to us (owned by a large company in town - not fenced in, lots of overgrown bushes, trees, etc; lots of things get dumped there). Having a lot of transients in the neighborhood tends to make me nervous - I don't know what's going on with them (drugs, drinking, whatever), plus they are using our trashcan to dump their trash (my husband says at least they aren't leaving it out). So what should I do? Inform the city? It seems like they don't do anything about the lot being overgrown or things being dumped there, because nothing ever happens (i.e. the company probably pays a fine and makes it go away). Ask the company to fence in their property? :idontknow: edit: i would add that this is a DRY, empty field. Every July 4th, I'm afraid someone is going to set it on fire (accidentally). So there is definite public safety at risk here.

at the same time, i'm struggling with the Christian response. there are definitely programs in place in this city to help those who need help paying rent, etc. (lots of programs, it's a bigger city) I would definitely not feel comfortable walking up to them and saying, "Don't you know there are programs to help you?" and at the same time, it's not like our family is in a position to help them (I mean, look where we live).

thoughts?

Edited by Lil Red

My grandparents had a problem with transient people using their large field to sleep or live. There was a little wooded area and we were always finding suitcases and beer bottles in there, so we knew that someone was staying there at night. My grandparents had "No Trespassing" signs up but it didn't stop the homeless from coming. Eventually, they got so irritated with the constant drifters that they ended up calling the police one night when there was someone setting up camp. They were taken to a homeless shelter, I believe.

Trespassing is trespassing. If it's making you uncomfortable, you have a right to contact the police and ask what can be done about the situation. I hope you find the answers soon.

Call the police. It's a risk to the public safety; while they may not be constitutionally obligated to protect you, they should respond to it none the less. Odds are they'll try to take them to a shelter if one's available like MM said, or maybe put them in jail for the night; I remember one prof in one of my intro courses years ago talking about how he had some homeless people who would actually come to the jail of an evening to ask if he had any spots for them to sleep in.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315365595' post='2301419']My grandparents had a problem with transient people using their large field to sleep or live. There was a little wooded area and we were always finding suitcases and beer bottles in there, so we knew that someone was staying there at night. My grandparents had "No Trespassing" signs up but it didn't stop the homeless from coming. Eventually, they got so irritated with the constant drifters that they ended up calling the police one night when there was someone setting up camp. They were taken to a homeless shelter, I believe.

Trespassing is trespassing. If it's making you uncomfortable, you have a right to contact the police and ask what can be done about the situation. I hope you find the answers soon.[/quote]
That's the thing, there are no "no trespassing" signs in this field. It is just a big open field, which may lead people to think that it's city owned (it's not, i checked).

What about long term? What is this company's responsibility to fence in this area or post no trespassing signs? Should I contact my ward's councilman?

Sounds like my neighborhood. We had lots of transients 5 years ago, and the Safeway next door added security guards. It was like their "job" got taken away from them, so they moved somewhere else where they could beg. I'd call the city, not the police. We aren't doing them a favor by letting them live like this. There are places where they can help.

Basilisa Marie

This is hard. Personally I've helped at enough homeless aid facilities to know that not all homeless are drug addicts and drunkards...(especially nowadays) but at the same time you do have a family to care for. I think what it comes down to is that you have an obligation to protect your family first, especially if the people in the field are giving you weird vibes. I'd call the city. It's not your property, so you can't make the decision whether or not to let them stay, and they really shouldn't be using your trash cans.

I would agree with contacting the authorities - state, whatever you call the civil authorities there! I would also try little things like saying hello, acknowledging them - its much harder to be 'nasty' to someone you 'know' even in the loosest sense of the word. I grew up on homeless hostels as my parents ran them for nearly 20years. I used, and still do, struggle a bit with how overwhelming the situation is with so many people in such desperate need, and so little help available (its nowhere near as easy to get help as some think - as I discovered a year ago when I almost ended up homeless myself) but I have realised that I can help some, and helping some is to me better than helping none. Even with the most addicted druggie or alcoholic, I always remember 'there, but for the grace of God, go I'.

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but also pray for them. My home parish is in a rough area - an area that had been wealthy in Victorian times but now the big houses are bedsits, many residents are refugees, etc. On the whole, its actually a lovely atmosphere - no one has anything but everyone shares the little they have - but yes, there is a big addiction problem. I used to go to the Sunday night Mass and we would invariably get hecklers. Some of what was said was extremely unpleasant, racist, blasphemous etc. Without it ever being discussed in the parish, we all just ignored it, we carried on, the priest continued with Mass and we recieved Christ in the Eucharist. Over time (months) the heckling became quieter, then the people started hanging about in the doorways but quiet. Eventually one was received into the Church! When a year or so later we started to get other people damaging the building, making a mess, etc, it was some of these guys who not only helped clear up, but also got it to stop - they could meet this new group where they were and relate to them.

Edited by faithcecelia

Is there a way to bring the programs to them? I recently took an almost-homeless friend to rehab facility at a small, independent bible based church 40 minutes away. There's no way I could do that for some random homeless stranger, but I could contact the church to ask if they would consider ministering to the homeless people. Maybe one or more of the local programs would go out to the tent city if you asked.