MissyP89 Posted September 12, 2011 Posted September 12, 2011 You can just call him SEAN MY MANNNN like I do. Or not.
Mark of the Cross Posted September 12, 2011 Posted September 12, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1315785209' post='2303471'] What do you think about the possibility that the cosmological principle is incorrect? I saw this possible cosmological anisotropy the other day: [url="http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1109/1109.0941v3.pdf"]Direction Dependence of the Deceleration Parameter[/url] Also, Brian, what research field(s) are you interested in? Are you on more of an experimenter track or theorist? Etcetera. Peace. ETA: Woot! Finally posted in this thread. I've been meaning to for a while. :-D [/quote] The accelerated expansion of the cosmos appears to not take into account the time rate change effect of decreasing cosmic average mass density. ie near mass, like an event horizon, time stops. It follows that as the density of the cosmos decreases time should speed up. To an observer in the same time frame this should not have any apparent effect on observations, but since on earth in our solar system the average density would be decreasing less than the cosmic average, this may give rise to a observation that the cosmos is speeding up. Edited September 12, 2011 by Mark of the Cross
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 12, 2011 Posted September 12, 2011 [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1315856825' post='2303894'] Mainly I'm interested in AMO (atomic, molecular, and optical) physics and condensed matter physics. I really like both experiment and theory. I've done some research in both, but I'm looking at doing experimental physics towards my doctorate (or at least master's because I still have to get accepted into the doctorate program). I'm currently working in an experimental lab in AMO looking at optical forces on atoms (pretty much I work with lasers; I shine them on atoms and the atoms get pushed). My advisor is happy with my work so far, so if I get accepted into the doctoral program, then he will work with me towards my thesis. I asked you before about your interests and I got the "far and wide" response. So what do you study, or what do you do for a living? [/quote] Whoa... That's amesome! I'm jealous. I wouldn't mind hearing more about this research. So are you working Bose-Einstein condensates (or Fermionic!?) and studying phenomena such as coherence? Just a shot in the dark. lol. I'm currently employed as a software engineer but I'm something of a general knowledge enthusiast and had some exposure to physics growing up (my mom and step dad are physicists for example). My understanding is pretty patchy though. lol. [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1315857889' post='2303901']Laudate_Dominum, I didn't realize you posted a video as well. So funny! That's kind of how it feels sometimes when I get asked to explain certain aspects of physics to a non-physicist sometimes. (also, how would you prefer I shorten your name? Laud, Dom, LD?) [/quote] L_D is typical. [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1315865252' post='2303935'] You can just call him SEAN MY MANNNN like I do. Or not. [/quote] You're amesome. [quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1315866272' post='2303938'] The accelerated expansion of the cosmos appears to not take into account the time rate change effect of decreasing cosmic average mass density. ie near mass, like an event horizon, time stops. It follows that as the density of the cosmos increases time should speed up. To an observer in the same time frame this should not have any apparent effect on calculations, but since on earth in our solar system the average density would be decreasing less than the cosmic average, this may give rise to a calculation that the cosmos is speeding up. [/quote] Spocking out? Woot! Dang, g2g.. more later
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 12, 2011 Posted September 12, 2011 P.S. L_D is best because LD is LoungeDaddy.
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 12, 2011 Posted September 12, 2011 [quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1315541625' post='2302424'] Lol right! Also my waves and vibrations class is classical physics and it is driving me crazy. I want to move onto the fun stuff but we are going soooo slowly. [/quote] If you don't mind talking about it I'm curious to know what text you're using (assuming there is a main text for the course). I'm familiar with A.P. French's vibrations and waves text but that's about it.
TheresaThoma Posted September 13, 2011 Posted September 13, 2011 Yup A.P French's Vibrations and waves. I haven't spent too much time with the book yet but it seems to be pretty good.
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 13, 2011 Posted September 13, 2011 I've just gotta say, I love space... Other planets and stuff... Woot!
brianthephysicist Posted September 14, 2011 Author Posted September 14, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1315867480' post='2303944'] Whoa... That's amesome! I'm jealous. I wouldn't mind hearing more about this research. So are you working Bose-Einstein condensates (or Fermionic!?) and studying phenomena such as coherence? Just a shot in the dark. lol. [/quote] Well, my previous theoretical research was studying p-wave scattering to understand Fermionic Condensates. It was tons of fun, but it felt more like math than physics. My current experimental work is on the Bichromatic Force. We use two frequencies of light, each detuned from atomic resonance by an equal and opposite amount. They are overlapped and after passing through the interaction region are retro-reflected back through it again. Since they are two frequencies, they form a beat pattern. We time our beats as pi-pulses such that an atom sees an incoming pi-pulse and absorbs light, it then sees a second pi-pulse coming from the other direction (from retro-reflected beam) that causes it to undergo stimulated emission. Light carries both momentum and energy. The energy is conserved by absorption and later by emission. Just as in Doppler forces, there are two times in which momentum is transferred to the atom. In Doppler, the first momentum kick (from absorption) follows the +k vector of the light and the second momentum kick (from spontaneous emission) is in a random direction. Spontaneous emission has no preferential direction, so the average change in momentum will be zero. In Bichro, we follow the same first momentum kick, but instead of spontaneous emission, we use stimulated emission. The emitted light travels in the -k direction, giving a second +k kick to the light. The total momentum kick is larger and it takes less time to occur, giving Bichro a much larger force than Doppler. I prefer to be able to hand-wave and draw this stuff out and I even have a nice picture that gives a nice sketch of what's happening but I don't know how to upload it. I'll try to figure it out later and I'll post it when I do. We study various aspects of this force, such as the velocity capture range provided by the detuning and the cooling limit. [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1315867480' post='2303944'] I'm currently employed as a software engineer but I'm something of a general knowledge enthusiast and had some exposure to physics growing up (my mom and step dad are physicists for example). My understanding is pretty patchy though. lol. [/quote] That's pretty cool. What types of software do you work on? Or is it more of a general "whatever my employer asks me to make"?
brianthephysicist Posted September 14, 2011 Author Posted September 14, 2011 [quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1315879457' post='2304031'] Yup A.P French's Vibrations and waves. I haven't spent too much time with the book yet but it seems to be pretty good. [/quote] Also, TheresaThoma, I was wondering, will you be studying gravitational waves before the end of the course or is it restricted only to classical waves?
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 14, 2011 Posted September 14, 2011 [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1316020517' post='2304624'] Well, my previous theoretical research was studying p-wave scattering to understand Fermionic Condensates. It was tons of fun, but it felt more like math than physics. My current experimental work is on the Bichromatic Force. We use two frequencies of light, each detuned from atomic resonance by an equal and opposite amount. They are overlapped and after passing through the interaction region are retro-reflected back through it again. Since they are two frequencies, they form a beat pattern. We time our beats as pi-pulses such that an atom sees an incoming pi-pulse and absorbs light, it then sees a second pi-pulse coming from the other direction (from retro-reflected beam) that causes it to undergo stimulated emission. Light carries both momentum and energy. The energy is conserved by absorption and later by emission. Just as in Doppler forces, there are two times in which momentum is transferred to the atom. In Doppler, the first momentum kick (from absorption) follows the +k vector of the light and the second momentum kick (from spontaneous emission) is in a random direction. Spontaneous emission has no preferential direction, so the average change in momentum will be zero. In Bichro, we follow the same first momentum kick, but instead of spontaneous emission, we use stimulated emission. The emitted light travels in the -k direction, giving a second +k kick to the light. The total momentum kick is larger and it takes less time to occur, giving Bichro a much larger force than Doppler. I prefer to be able to hand-wave and draw this stuff out and I even have a nice picture that gives a nice sketch of what's happening but I don't know how to upload it. I'll try to figure it out later and I'll post it when I do. We study various aspects of this force, such as the velocity capture range provided by the detuning and the cooling limit.[/quote] Whoa. If I'm understanding you correct I suppose my first question (more later) would be, how does the cooling limit of this technique compare with doppler? Sounds like cutting-edge stuff. That's so amesome. Oh, and what atoms are you working with? [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1316020517' post='2304624']That's pretty cool. What types of software do you work on? Or is it more of a general "whatever my employer asks me to make"? [/quote] I currently have a contract doing medical software, but yeah, I'll do whatever. I wish I could do hardcore scientific computing but that hasn't quite been my career path. Oh, video games would be sweet too. lol.
brianthephysicist Posted September 15, 2011 Author Posted September 15, 2011 <p>[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1316026096' post='2304655']</p> <p>Whoa. If I'm understanding you correct I suppose my first question (more later) would be, how does the cooling limit of this technique compare with doppler? Sounds like cutting-edge stuff. That's so amesome. Oh, and what atoms are you working with?</p> <p>[/quote]</p> <p> </p> <p>Well, as of right now, it doesn't really have a well defined limit, it's just what we can experimentally observe. We know it can't reach as low a temperature but it looks like it will be roughly one order of magnitude difference. The big thing with Bichro is that its velocity capture range is about one order of magnitude larger and that it reaches its limit much faster. Around the lab we throw around the analogy of Doppler being like tweezers and Bichro being like a sledgehammer. Also, we use meta-stable Helium 4.</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <div style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "> <p>[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1316026096' post='2304655']</p> <p>I currently have a contract doing medical software, but yeah, I'll do whatever. I wish I could do hardcore scientific computing but that hasn't quite been my career path. Oh, video games would be sweet too. lol.</p> <p>[/quote]</p> <div> </div> <div>Wow that's really cool. What kind of medical software are you working on? Like imaging software? I think it's amesome, but I'm absolutely terrible at programming lol. </div> </div>
Laudate_Dominum Posted September 15, 2011 Posted September 15, 2011 (edited) [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1316059153' post='2304913'] Well, as of right now, it doesn't really have a well defined limit, it's just what we can experimentally observe. We know it can't reach as low a temperature but it looks like it will be roughly one order of magnitude difference. The big thing with Bichro is that its velocity capture range is about one order of magnitude larger and that it reaches its limit much faster. Around the lab we throw around the analogy of Doppler being like tweezers and Bichro being like a sledgehammer. Also, we use meta-stable Helium 4.[/quote] I don't know anything about Bichro so forgive me, but is it at a stage where you're experimenting with possible applications, or still more preliminary? I want to say I've heard of He-4 beam experiments for possible nanoscale manufacturing and all that. I figured the pi-pulse, +k vector kicking explanation above had to do with capturing and collimating the atoms anyway, and your sledgehammer analogy is suggestive. What kind of velocities do you get? Do you experiment on different target materials or whatever? Is there any kind of application to microscopy? This is interesting to me as I've never known anyone in your field before. I remember when my mom was in grad school seeing lots of lasers and esoteric gadgetry related to low temperature physics experiments; I tend to imagine your lab in this way. haha. [quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1316059153' post='2304913']Wow that's really cool. What kind of medical software are you working on? Like imaging software? I think it's amesome, but I'm absolutely terrible at programming lol.[/quote] Nothing as interesting as imaging software. The stuff I work on relates to the more mundane aspects of running hospitals. Well, to be fair there are interesting things to do from time to time. I'm not super into my work btw, it's just a practical necessity for me. Do you have to do much programming for school and/or your research? Are you into any math software? Do you use Matlab? I recently downloaded an open source program called Maxima and it seems decent. Haven't had time to really get into it yet. lol. I'm interested in Octave too but doubt I'll find time to mess with it any time soon. Anyway, I don't want to start rambling... Edited September 15, 2011 by Laudate_Dominum
missionseeker Posted September 15, 2011 Posted September 15, 2011 [img]http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/d/d3/VMX-Beaker%26Bunsen.jpg[/img]
missionseeker Posted September 15, 2011 Posted September 15, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1315867480' post='2303944'] You're amesome. Spocking out? Woot! Dang, g2g.. more later [/quote] In a 2004 Internet poll sponsored by the BBC and the British Association for the Advancement of Science, Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew were voted Britain's favorite cinematic scientists. They beat [url="http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek"][i]Star Trek[/i][/url]'s Mr. Spock, their closest rival, by a margin of 2 to 1 and won 33 percent of the 43,000 votes cast.
brianthephysicist Posted September 15, 2011 Author Posted September 15, 2011 <p>[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1316069611' post='2304941']</p> <p>I don't know anything about Bichro so forgive me, but is it at a stage where you're experimenting with possible applications, or still more preliminary? I want to say I've heard of He-4 beam experiments for possible nanoscale manufacturing and all that. I figured the pi-pulse, +k vector kicking explanation above had to do with capturing and collimating the atoms anyway, and your sledgehammer analogy is suggestive. What kind of velocities do you get? Do you experiment on different target materials or whatever? Is there any kind of application to microscopy? This is interesting to me as I've never known anyone in your field before. I remember when my mom was in grad school seeing lots of lasers and esoteric gadgetry related to low temperature physics experiments; I tend to imagine your lab in this way. haha.</p> <p>[/quote]</p> <p> </p> <p>It's a little of both actually. Our lab was originally using Bichro for, as you suggested, nano-scale manufacturing. Originally our advisor decided on it for lithography and there have been previous theses written on the success of it for collimating the He-4 beam. I'm not sure exactly what material they used it for, but I know that it was gold with a monolayer of some molecule that is damaged when exposed to the metastable He-4. We are currently going back to the basics and trying to better study the force itself because the theory is not analytically solvable. This means any kind of calculations we do from theory are all numerical, typically Monte-Carlo simulations. The general idea is that the velocity range is dependent on detuning, so the velocity range changes based from day to day, unfortunately, I don't have a rough estimate. I'd have to dig through an old thesis to find it and it would probably take awhile lol. Yea, our lab does look pretty crazy with all of the optics, lasers, electronics racks, and the ever so important vacuum chamber. I do want to stress that I'm the newest member in the group so there's still tons of stuff about the experiment that I don't know yet, but I'm taking it one step at a time and I've learned a lot so far.</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <div style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "> <p>[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1316069611' post='2304941']</p> <p>Nothing as interesting as imaging software. The stuff I work on relates to the more mundane aspects of running hospitals. Well, to be fair there are interesting things to do from time to time. I'm not super into my work btw, it's just a practical necessity for me. Do you have to do much programming for school and/or your research? Are you into any math software? Do you use Matlab? I recently downloaded an open source program called Maxima and it seems decent. Haven't had time to really get into it yet. lol. I'm interested in Octave too but doubt I'll find time to mess with it any time soon. Anyway, I don't want to start rambling...</p> <p>[/quote]</p> <div> </div> <div>As I mentioned earlier the Monte-Carlo simulations that 'we' run is pretty much what the senior grad student Chris runs. He runs this in fortran. I tend to avoid programming if I can because I'm not very good at it. When I was doing theoretical work, I sometimes had to work with MatLab for numerics and it was tiring. MatLab seemed like a nice program and it worked very well for me. The only other two programs I use are Mathematica and Scientific Workplace (LaTex editor and algebraic manipulator), both primarily for homework. I haven't heard of Maxima or Octave, but I'll have to try them out.</div> <div> </div> <div>Don't worry about rambling, that's what half my posts are about lol</div> <div> </div> <div> </div> <div> </div> </div>
brianthephysicist Posted September 15, 2011 Author Posted September 15, 2011 [quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1316073139' post='2304945'] In a 2004 Internet poll sponsored by the BBC and the British Association for the Advancement of Science, Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew were voted Britain's favorite cinematic scientists. They beat [url="http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek"][i]Star Trek[/i][/url]'s Mr. Spock, their closest rival, by a margin of 2 to 1 and won 33 percent of the 43,000 votes cast.[/quote] That's amesome! I love Beaker! Also, why do my posts keep having weird html things?
BG45 Posted September 17, 2011 Posted September 17, 2011 Brian, I actually thought of you here on Phatmass when I saw a section at the Newman Used Book Sale I just went to. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/ordos45/real%20life/IMAG0489.jpg[/IMG]
brianthephysicist Posted September 17, 2011 Author Posted September 17, 2011 Aww man, I would've been so excited to see what was there
BG45 Posted September 17, 2011 Posted September 17, 2011 It was mostly chem and bio, but I saw a few Physics textbooks that would've probably been $100 last semester being sold for a dollar because they were hardcover!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now