An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Changing Life

o jesu mi dulcis

o jesu mi dulcis

+Praised be Jesus Christ! After reading some of the posts on the forum lately regarding similar experiences I finally have the courage to share more of my story. I was never a prolific poster,( formerly Peaceful_Spirit) although I enjoy reading all the threads.

I was in my canonical year as a novice when I left my community early this summer. I can echo the sentiments others have shared with it being a painfully emotional time. I miss them very much and feel like my heart is still there. I also know that they love me and only want the best for me. I have been blessed to remain in close contact with my former Abbess, as well as being able to talk to my pastor who is very understanding.

In a few days I am leaving to enter a volunteer program that the Religious Sisters of Mercy have in my state. It is a program my former superior found out about that is offered to young women who have been in religious life who need time to discern their next step. I am really looking forward to going because it is not easy to be home in our little town without too many options!

I am praying for all discerning phatmassers, and beg you to pray for me, too!

Laurie

AccountDeleted

It sounds as if you had a wonderful superior, if she was interested in helping you adapt back into the secular life. What wonderful charity on their part. For you, be kind to yourself during this adjustment time. I am glad you are going to do something that will help you make the transition. Prayers for you. :pray:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1315723939' post='2303200']
It sounds as if you had a wonderful superior, if she was interested in helping you adapt back into the secular life. What wonderful charity on their part. For you, be kind to yourself during this adjustment time. I am glad you are going to do something that will help you make the transition. Prayers for you. :pray:
[/quote]

I have to agree with Nunsense here, it is wonderful to hear that you have had care an support from your former Abbess as you go through the hard and painful readjustment period. Yes, do be gentle withyourself, take you time, and see what God seems to be planning for you next.

God bless you x

The programme seems like a really good idea - it's the first I have heard of and I pray for you and all those who will be attending.

Welcome, Laurie! It sounds as though you are proceeding in peace and in the arms of the Lord. Please, if you can, keep us "posted" (!) about your work with the RSM.

~AS

[color=#800000][size=4][b]Definately praying for you. One step at a time. It takes a long time, so hopefully this program will gentle the healing.[/b][/size][/color]

I know that when we are hurting, it's easy to feel regrets. And maybe now, you are tempted to blame yourself (at least a tiny bit) for how things turned out. Don't. If you never take any risks, if you never love...you won't be heartbroken. But that is a poor and pathetic way to go through life. So...life and love are worth the risks. But these risks are just that...risky. It doesn't always work out how we intend. Grieve, heal, learn your lessons...and move on. Someday, looking back, you will be able to see God's grace at work in all of this.

I'm sorry if that sounds too preachy. I just want to encourage you that as painful as this is right now...it won't always be that way.

Thanks for having the courage to share this with us; I'm sure this will be encouraging to other reading this!

o jesu mi dulcis

May God reward you for all the kind responses! It is good just to be able to share my experience with people who can understand how I feel. Even at this point I can honestly say that I have no regrets about entering when I did. The self-knowledge and spiritual growth that I gained has only strengthened me.

Both my Mother Abbess and my spiritual director tell me that God has a plan for my life, but I need to be patient and allow healing to happen. I grew up in a very difficult family situation which made certain aspects of community life challenging for me.

Sometimes the uncertainty of the future really scares me, and yet I think that is when our Lord is calling me to have deeper trust in Him. I wish only to follow His will for me. I believe this time now will help me do this!

Laurie

Dear Laurie,

As someone who entered and left religious life I would love to know more about this program you mentioned. Can you tell me where to get more information on it?

Many prayers for you as you continue your journey!

o jesu mi dulcis

+ Piobaire,

Pax! I had not heard of it before either, until my former superior discovered it! It is called a land program and has to do with some type of conservation, I think. I will help take care of trees. It may also be open to other young women depending on their circumstances. What interested me particularly was how it is a more individual goal- oriented program.

I think the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist in Meriden, CT also have something called a land program, that was a bit different. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to inquire for information with the Religious Sisters of Mercy closest to you or maybe on their website.

I hope this helps!