An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations News

LaPetiteSoeur

O my goodness I am so excited!!!

I talked to Sr. ME, and it was not scary and all my nerves went away completely! Since my parents want me to wait to enter until I graduate (which isn't this year, or next), she suggested I go to the Jesu Caritas retreat in March!

It was so nice to talk to her!

This is really a short topic, but I was so excited, I had to share! :nun2:

And I just realized I can't go on the retreat, due to midterm exams the dates of the retreat! Ick. But I'm still so excited!!

Mary's Margaret

Petite Soeur - I can feel your joy come through the screen. Making that contact is a big step, and the calming of your nerves as you spoke with Sr. ME is a very good sign. As for the retreat, I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves. May your heart bask in this blessing for days and days to come.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1315935636' post='2304299']
Negotiate with your profs - see if they'll let you take your midterms earlier in the week (or the week before).
[/quote]

A couple of my profs let me take my final exams early so I could make a vocation visit. You'd be surprised at their flexibility for something like this.

Negotiate with your profs - see if they'll let you take your midterms earlier in the week (or the week before).
[/quote]

I agree, the worst that can happen is they say no! I'm so pleased to hear your news, God bless your continuing discernment.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I think that's wonderful! And, if you do decide to join the ND's, your college degree will be a real benefit. That will mean that you will only need to complete the college classes necessary to get a teaching certificate (if you are not currently working on one). And, apparently even entrants who have a teaching certificate take classes during their postulant year to learn how to teach "the Dominican way."

With a college degree, you will able able to get into the classroom and teach that much sooner, so your college time will have been well spent. And, if you decide not to enter the ND's (or another teaching order), I am one of those who believes that the knowlege you gain in college, both in the classroom and about yourself will only make you a better Sister or nun.

I agree with the others that it is definitely worth talking to your professors to see if you can take your midterms early so that you can attend the retreat. After all, it's not as if you want to leave early in order to bask in the sun at Cancun! The retreat would be a big step toward your future life! I wish the ND's offered more retreats--colleges have so many different schedules! If you can't attend the retreat, maybe you can arrange a visit to the ND's. They have so many applicants that they may not be able to be as flexible as Communities with only a few postulants. But, there HAS to be a way! (That's been one of my favorite sayings in life, that is, "There is always a Plan B!"

Best of luck!

:nun2: :nun2: :nun2:
I'm so happy for you! They are able to set up private weekend retreats if you need to visit and are unable to go on a retreat. It will all work out! Definitely look into taking exams early.
You are in my prayers.

:nun3:

[/quote]
I'll definitely talk to them. I think the only exam I should have that day is French, so hopefully I can take it before hand and take a vow of silence not to reveal a single thing! I haven't actually told anyone yet here about it (except the associate pastor), so I need to work up that courage!