An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx-Judgment Day, Sept 14

Aloysius

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1316017195' post='2304605']
Quick question to the general phatmasses: Would anyone here consider attending an SSPX chapel regularly if/when they get regularized?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1316017195' post='2304605']Oh and Papa Benny's the MAN!
[/quote]

Indeed.

Quick question to the general phatmasses: Would anyone here consider attending an SSPX chapel regularly if/when they get regularized?

[/quote]

Not in a million years. I find too many bad attitudes at the Traditional Latin Mass. I generate enough of that myself.

<----- former Latin Mass-goer, 3+ years

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1316032550' post='2304703']
Actually... it kind of does mean we could ignore it. I could completely ignore Vatican II, become a saint, and enjoy the beatific vision, because Vatican II teaches nothing essential to the faith or to salvation (no doctrines or dogmas). That does not mean however, that Vatican II teaches nothing beneficial to the faith or to obtaining salvation and sanctity. (Edited to say: This is all just "technically speaking", not necessarily what is in the best interest of the souls of Catholics)
[/quote]

Yes, I understand the distinction you are trying to make. However...the Vatican is apparently not drawing that line sharply. Here is what Fellay said:

"[font=Verdana][size=2]Today, for the sake of objectivity, I must acknowledge that in the doctrinal preamble there is no clear-cut distinction between the inviolable dogmatic sphere and the pastoral sphere that is subject to discussion.[/size][/font]"

That's why I said that ignoring the council on the grounds that it is 'merely' pastoral is probably not a wise move. After all, pastoral stuff matter too, even if one can say 'on this salvation does not turn.'

Quick question to the general phatmasses: Would anyone here consider attending an SSPX chapel regularly if/when they get regularized?

Oh and Papa Benny's the MAN!
[/quote]

I don't think on a regular basis, but if it happens that I go sometimes, I'd be much more confortable with this idea.

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1316019427' post='2304620']
In January, I'll be moving to Ethiopia

[/quote]

Really? Where will you go?

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1316063041' post='2304933']

Not in a million years. I find too many bad attitudes at the Traditional Latin Mass. I generate enough of that myself.

<----- former Latin Mass-goer, 3+ years
[/quote]

Sadly I find this too on the whole. My parish has a weekly Latin Mass every Wednesday and thats a nice atmosphere - its just us daily attenders plus one or two others, very low key really. But sadly I feel that many who only attend Latin Mass feel superior to us NOers.

[quote]Sadly I find this too on the whole. My parish has a weekly Latin Mass every Wednesday and thats a nice atmosphere - its just us daily attenders plus one or two others, very low key really. But sadly I feel that many who only attend Latin Mass feel superior to us NOers.

[/quote]
I think that is human nature when it comes to tradition. Look at baseball. Us National Leaguers are superior than the American Leaguers b/c we play baseball like it has been the traditionally played. We all know that the DH is a liberal, modernist abuse.

Edited by Papist

We have the Fraternity of St. Peter... I'd much rather stick with those who have always been obedient to Rome...

...i'm not sure just how much of the regularization would "stick..." i mean, the SSPXers seem to have a chip on their shoulders... when they become regularized, will that chip automatically disappear? I don't think so...

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1316091520' post='2304982']
I think that is human nature when it comes to tradition. Look at baseball. Us National Leaguers are superior than the American Leaguers b/c we play baseball like it has been the traditionally played. We all know that the DH is a liberal, modernist abuse.
[/quote]

Indeed! The DH is a post-Vatican innovation.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1316091705' post='2304983']
We have the Fraternity of St. Peter... I'd much rather stick with those who have always been obedient to Rome...

...i'm not sure just how much of the regularization would "stick..." i mean, the SSPXers seem to have a chip on their shoulders... when they become regularized, will that chip automatically disappear? I don't think so...
[/quote]

As much as I am NOT an SSPX apologist, I do not think this is fair...

If someone or some entity has 'made peace' with Rome, that should be celebrated as brothers winning over brothers. To say, 'I'll stick with XYZ, because they were never disobedient" misses the mark. No one is perfect. We all fall short. Who's to say the *your* organization won't wall victim to the Devil and exhibit even worse attributes??? I can see not attending the SSPX (once stuff is straight) because that's just not your bag; but to pit one organization against another does nothing but perpetuate hostilities.

As for "will the chip on their shoulder disappear?" comment, it seems counter productive. Let us say, by the Grace of God, some kind of agreement is reached? (pardon my abiguous nomenclature) It seems like *that* would not be good enough for you. Well, that's wrong.

Bad attitudes are not relegated to one side of the aisle, as this thread clearly shows.

read the second post in this thread, i would celebrate their return, but i'm afraid of attending anything by the SSPX even after the regularization, because I'm sure that even though they will return to the Church (or whatevers, since some here think they never left the Church or they are the Church, etc.,) the attitudes that have permeated their thoughts and the feelings they have about Rome will not disappear over night. You have legions of followers of the SSPX that have some brutal opinions about Pope John Paul II, the Council, the Novus Ordo Mass, etc. that I am certain won't just disappear...

for my own Faith, and for the Faith of those who easily get shaken by such opinions, I would stick with the Traditional groups who never garnered such opinions in the first place...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1316093260' post='2304996']
read the second post in this thread, i would celebrate their return, but i'm afraid of attending anything by the SSPX even after the regularization, because I'm sure that even though they will return to the Church (or whatevers, since some here think they never left the Church or they are the Church, etc.,) the attitudes that have permeated their thoughts and the feelings they have about Rome will not disappear over night. You have legions of followers of the SSPX that have some brutal opinions about Pope John Paul II, the Council, the Novus Ordo Mass, etc. that I am certain won't just disappear...

for my own Faith, and for the Faith of those who easily get shaken by such opinions, I would stick with the Traditional groups who never garnered such opinions in the first place...
[/quote]
It would definitely be a lengthy process for those opinions and attitudes to simmer down b/c by doing so they will feel as if they are saying that they were wrong. Pride will need to be crushed.

People change DS, through the grace of God and the workings of the Holy Spirit. You've heard stories of Protestant ministers and their entire congregations coming into the Catholic Church. How does that happen? How could that not happen here again? How does St John of the Cross describe God? The Living Flame of Love. Flame, fire always active sending out sparks and tongues of fire that transforms the hearts of mankind. It is the grace of God and the workings of the Holy Spirit that bring people in to the Church, and/or keep them there. There but for the grace of God go you.