An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hair

Emma

MarysLittleFlower

Interesting topic lol :) I've always wondered, just how short do they cut the hair? Is it really short, or just above the shoulders?

I see there is a whole variety of veils... I was looking at the Passionist nuns [url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/"]http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/[/url] and I'm curious to know how their veils are held in place, do they pin them to something? (the same question is for any unmodified veils, like those of the Carmelites)

For us, very short. Buzz cut, boy short. I wouldn't have felt comfortable going out in public with how short our hair was at the end of a haircut. I had to grow it out for almost a year before I felt comfortable leaving, and it was still ear-length short (much shorter than I'd ever had it pre-convent).

Other communities do cut their hair the same as ours did; I know of at least two well-known ones. Some will cut it short at the entrance to novitiate, then let Sister keep it as long or short as they care to thereafter. And I'm sure there are some who don't do that anymore.

I was very attached to my hair. It was very long, and I cried when I was alone in my cell the night after it was cut. But I loved the symbolism, and I was grateful our community had that tradition.

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1318811620' post='2322340']
Interesting topic lol :) I've always wondered, just how short do they cut the hair? Is it really short, or just above the shoulders?

I see there is a whole variety of veils... I was looking at the Passionist nuns [url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/"]http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/[/url] and I'm curious to know how their veils are held in place, do they pin them to something? (the same question is for any unmodified veils, like those of the Carmelites)
[/quote]
The Passionists wear a simple white coif under their veils. It's like a little cap, and the veil is pinned to that.

The SSFPA cut it short then, I think, more or less leave it up to each individual exactly how long/short she keeps it. Postulants right before receiving the habit:
[img]http://ssfpa.org/images/event/2011/Investiture2011/PostulantsB4Investiture10Aug2011.jpg[/img]

I've been wondering, for a few weeks, what the RSMs do when they receive the novitiate habit and veil. I know that most communities cut the hair, but the way that they have it pinned down under it, it makes me think that they do not have the hair-cutting ceremony. But, then, I remember that the SSFPA (posted above) DO cut their hair, and I wonder if the RSMs don't cut theirs quite as short as most communities so that they are able to sweep it over to the side in a part. I may ask, just out of curiosity, when I go for a visit in 26 days! :)

[img]http://www.rsmofalma.org/random_images/array08.jpg[/img]

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1318812332' post='2322346']
For us, very short. Buzz cut, boy short. I wouldn't have felt comfortable going out in public with how short our hair was at the end of a haircut. I had to grow it out for almost a year before I felt comfortable leaving, and it was still ear-length short (much shorter than I'd ever had it pre-convent).

Other communities do cut their hair the same as ours did; I know of at least two well-known ones. Some will cut it short at the entrance to novitiate, then let Sister keep it as long or short as they care to thereafter. And I'm sure there are some who don't do that anymore.

I was very attached to my hair. It was very long, and I cried when I was alone in my cell the night after it was cut. But I loved the symbolism, and I was grateful our community had that tradition.
[/quote]

Yup- this is what we do, too. Although ours isn't cut until the night after investiture (so when one receives the habit and veil, they still have their hair- usualy braided).

To tell you the truth... I can't wait for this. I don't have a huge attachment to my hair... and frankly, it's going to make showering so much quicker!

Queen'sDaughter

The Benedictines have a hair cutting ceremony during the reception of the habit, but I don't know whether or not they let it grow out once their in habit.

Kind of off topic...But they wear bridal gowns during this ceremony, and I just [i]love[/i] the symbolism.

I am with Teresa on the hair cutting, the sooner it's cut, the happier I'll be! (Of course, getting it cut will mean I'm receiving the habit.... and that is cause of joy enough!

The bridal gown you'll be wearing....is it provided by the Monastery? Do they accept gowns as I sure as heck won't be needing mine as I'm 63 and don't plan on getting remarried if my husband passes before I do. My girls are both married, and I doubt if I could fit into a size 6. Haven't seen that size for a mighty long time :ohno:

Someone mentioned collars ... I remember being in my postulant shirt when I became a postulant in the 2nd community. I had (argued? :blush) talked with the sister who went out shopping with us, and had been adamant that the collar was too small.

She didn't listen.

So ... I got myself ready that day. We went through the ceremony. Then off to a nice lunch in community.

I'm sitting straight across from the Major Servant (she is in charge of all in formation). She then goes ahead and says "Cma ... you have permission to undo your collar. You look like you could pass out at any moment."

They went ahead to inform me how red I was.

That's when my superiors arranged to move the button on that shirt so that it wouldn't be so efficient at choking me. *Then* they believed me.

One word -- duh! But then again it was a 22 yr old professed sister telling the 37 yr old postulant-to-be that "the collar fits fine." So after I gave up trying to convince her -- I obeyed.

Queen'sDaughter

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1318883910' post='2322853']
The bridal gown you'll be wearing....is it provided by the Monastery? Do they accept gowns as I sure as heck won't be needing mine as I'm 63 and don't plan on getting remarried if my husband passes before I do. My girls are both married, and I doubt if I could fit into a size 6. Haven't seen that size for a mighty long time :ohno:
[/quote]

The gowns and veils are usually donated, and altered as needed by the sisters (their sewing room is a work of art, pity they kicked me out of it :hehe:). So if you would want to donate yours to them, I am sure they would be overjoyed to take it. Perhaps, God willing, I will even wear it someday!

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1318901366' post='2322959']

The gowns and veils are usually donated, and altered as needed by the sisters (their sewing room is a work of art, pity they kicked me out of it :hehe:). So if you would want to donate yours to them, I am sure they would be overjoyed to take it. Perhaps, God willing, I will even wear it someday!
[/quote]

The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles have the most BEAUTIFUL investiture ceremony! I love the symbolism of the bride of Christ in a wedding dress before abandoning the worldly garment and putting on her perpetual wedding garment. I am a hopeless romantic (always have been). Even their vow ceremonies are utterly incredible. Through the BMQAs, I've developed such a love of the Benedictine charism that I didn't have before. :love:

This is my favorite symbolic picture of the bride waiting for her Beloved:

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uQ9IzlWvLqE/TbqpShbm9MI/AAAAAAAAA-0/Wc8y4G9OcbY/s1600/Bride-of-Christ.jpg[/img]

The Community that I was part of, my parents had to provide the wedding dress and veil. I think that they borrowed my cousin's bridal gown, on the condition that she had it returned to her afterwards. Our hair was cut during the ceremony as a symbolic gesture of renouncing the world, but was cut much shorter the next day by our NM. In fact it was still so short when i came out, it stuck up in all directions like a bottle brush. Mind you that was in in the late 1960's, and just before Vat 2. I'm not sure what the Order does now.

MarysLittleFlower

which types of orders have the wedding dress as part of the ceremony? I'm just curious...

all the symbolism is really neat! :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

IgnatiusofLoyola

To Miss Scripture--Do you feel comfortable telling us what the custom of the ND's is regarding the cutting of hair, both at the investiture ceremony and/or after.

I'm pretty sure (but don't hold me to it) that Laetitia Crucis said that hair cutting would not be part of her clothing ceremony. However, she had cut her hair pretty short beforehand, just for convenience--as had the postulant/novice before her. Apparently, in her community the Sisters wear their hair short for convenience, but not buzz-cut short.

I have also read that the Passionist nuns of Ellisville, MO shave their heads--not just a buzz cut. They say they do this, at least in part, because the cap (that I think is unique to the Passionists) fits better on a shaved head. But, it sounded as if they do not shave their heads until after first vows. Shaving their heads was not something that they were secretive about--they offered to show their shaved heads to a female reporter--although, obviously, there was no picture. (Note: I have NO idea whether shaving their head is unique to this particular community or whether some or all other Passionist nuns shave their heads.)

I thought that it made a lot of sense for Communities that cut the hair VERY short (or shave their heads) towait until first vows to do this (although some of the symbolism might be lost). The novitiate is a time when a woman is still discerning (and the Community is discerning, as well) whether the woman has a vocation, and a vocation to that community. I've never seen statistics, but I'd expect that women are far more likely to discern out of a community during the novitiate than after first vows (although, of course, that does happen, too) and that very short hair would make the transition much more difficult.

Another thing I have wondered about is whether cloistered communities are more likely to wear very short (buzz cut) or even shaved hair than active communities, or if there was no difference. (And, if there is a difference, it might vary by Order and Community.) I'd think that there would be a greater chance in an active community for a Sister's veil to accidentally fall off in front of people who are not members of the Order (and who might be very curious to see what a Sister's hair looks like under her veil). It would be much less embarrassing (and more modest) if the woman's hair was short, but not ultra-short, or anything that would be a source of amusement to others. On the other hand, to have buzz-cut hair as an active nun might make the action more of a sacrifice.

On the whole, I suspect that cutting the hair was much more of an act of sacrifice in centuries past, when women customarily kept their hair long, and in some societies, short hair was the mark of a prostitute (if I remember my history correctly). Nowadays, there are many secular women who wear their hair shorter than many veiled nuns wear it. Also, in some societies, long hair was the sign of an unmarried woman, while married women cut their hair. Thus, in those societies having her hair cut would be a sign that a woman was a bride of Christ.

Obviously, I am NOT an expert and this is just a collection of random thoughts. I'm sure there are others who would have much more knowledge to add, or may be able to give more detail or correct any mistakes I might have made.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1318961817' post='2323259']
To Miss Scripture--Do you feel comfortable telling us what the custom of the ND's is regarding the cutting of hair, both at the investiture ceremony and/or after.

[/quote]
As far as I know, after they've gotten the veil, they are able to keep it as long or as short as is comfortable for them, but I could be mistaken. Obviously, they can't completely shave it all off, as you can see some with their style of veils. I don't know if no one can cut their hair as postulants, or not, but I know my sister didn't. And when they get it cut when they get the habit, if it's long enough (which my sister's was) they donate it, which I thought was razzle dazzle. I honestly can't remember where in the course of things they got it cut. Sorry. :idontknow: My biggest concern over the whole thing was what her name was. :hehe2: I also was far more awed by her removable sleeves!