An Old School Catholic Message Board

Economising In Community

Aya Sophia

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1317439922' post='2313228']
ALERT... feminine products ahead...

We have a whole closet full of feminine hygiene products down in our basement... and its not going anywhere fast... I'm the only sister young enough in this house to use them and I buy my own with my LMA... they look like they are from 1960... I'm afraid they won't work as well... I bring them to school and put them in the closet for emergency middle school situations, which there are a lot of...
[/quote]

Maybe they should get rid of them because some of the older products were susceptible to causing toxic shock syndrome because of their composition (what they were made of). good idea to keep buying your own!

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317422794' post='2313075']
Cutting up used enveloped to make papers we could write notes to each other on. Fine in itself, but by nature of the card business we always had a steady supply of white notepaper from the bands they put around the cards at the printers.
[/quote]
My grandma cuts off the blank parts of phone bills and other bills and uses those to write letters on. I think it started out as being economical (when you raise 8 kids on one person's salary, you learn to be thrifty) but now I think it's because she forgets where she put her nice stationary (because she has plenty, the aunts make sure of that), so this is just easier.

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317440581' post='2313232']

Maybe they should get rid of them because some of the older products were susceptible to causing toxic shock syndrome because of their composition (what they were made of). good idea to keep buying your own!
[/quote]

Depending on what they are, I'd agree. External products will be fine, but even modern internal products are not sterile and if the box is open I'd throw them after a year or so.

My mother always had a ball made of "pieces of string too small to use" but she never knotted the pieces together to make a piece that [i]was[/i] long enough...

As for internal personal hygiene products, sterility isn't an issue because the place where they are put isn't sterile. However, if they are marked as having some fragrance added, I would discard them. That was what caused toxic shock. Old, thick, sanitary pads make excellent dusters and polishing cloths, btw.

My mother always had a ball made of "pieces of string too small to use" but she never knotted the pieces together to make a piece that [i]was[/i] long enough...

As for internal personal hygiene products, sterility isn't an issue because the place where they are put isn't sterile. However, if they are marked as having some fragrance added, I would discard them. That was what caused toxic shock. Old, thick, sanitary pads make excellent dusters and polishing cloths, btw.

Some years ago I stayed in a guest house just outside the Vatican run by Francican Sisters. It was there that I saw for the first time the soap bag, a small bag made of netting with a drawstring at the top, filled with all those eeny weeny eensty teensy bits and shreds of soap that are too small to handle anymore but, gosh, are still perfectly good soap! I have seen other soap bags since then - the worst was (and probably still is) in a convent that shall remain nameless - a bag in which large scraps had gradually molded into a solid, pear-shaped mass that, for some reason was always slimy!

AccountDeleted

In addition to washing the plastic wrap, some of the convents I have been in have washed their aluminium wrap... washing and drying and straightening it out until it fell apart! :)

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317522066' post='2313635']
In addition to washing the plastic wrap, some of the convents I have been in have washed their aluminium wrap... washing and drying and straightening it out until it fell apart! :)
[/quote]

Yep, we did that too.

[/quote]

My family does that :blush:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1317522305' post='2313639']

My family does that :blush:
[/quote]

Well now I do it, but I didn't before I went into the convent - so I have learned a lot of economising techniques! Plus, my recent living poor in the bush has helped to learn a lot more, especially with regard to energy - since I didn't have electric power the, I learned how many watts each appliance would draw, so that I could determine whether or the generator would power it. For example, I bought an 800 watt microwave because I had a 1000 watt generator, but it wouldn't work. I found out from other people that even though a microwave uses 800 watts to cook, it uses much more than that to start up!! I had to return the microwave to the store. I aslo couldn't use a haridryer as the lowest wattage I could find was 1200, or a heater or even a kettle! My toaster was only 800 watts and it worked because it didn't have the same starting usage that the mv had. It is fascinating to know just how much energy we use everyday. So economising isn't just about food or clothes!

HopefulBride

[/quote]

I thought that was normal. We do that in my house... Except we fold them

faithcecelia

Repairing knickers. I has never in my life repaired or even considered repairing them before I entered!

HopefulBride

They do that[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317525196' post='2313661']
Repairing knickers. I has never in my life repaired or even considered repairing them before I entered!
[/quote]

They do that?

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1317464294' post='2313315']
Old, thick, sanitary pads make excellent dusters and polishing cloths, btw.
[/quote]

I knew there would be another good use for them :hehe: .

faithcecelia

Yes. I even remember my amazement at sitting at recreation on the same table as a sister who was patching a pair - actually [i]patching[/i] them!!! I always wondered if they were ones she had left from when Carmelites actually began wearing them at all - late 1980s in some.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317525569' post='2313666']

I knew there would be another good use for them :hehe: .
[/quote]

They are also useful in a first aid box if you need an absorbant temporary dressing.