4588686 Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1318043411' post='2317770'] We need an amendment to the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of schooling." It should be illegal to require someone to have gone to a school in order to get a job (and it should certainly be illegal to require anyone to go to a school). If someone can do the job, they should be as eligible for the job as anyone else, and should not be discriminated against because they have not chosen to learn in an approved, expensive institution. Then, the government should redirect all the money it wastes toward "educating" us and instead foster alternatives where we can learn freely and at our own leisure. The system now puts all its resources into institutions, rather than resources. That needs to end. Institutions are never-ending drains on society. Resources are clearly defined and finite. Adults should have just as much a right to government funded resources as young people. There are a lot of possibilities to create a new system. For example, you could have a system where every citizen has a certain amount of "credits" that entitle them to use government funded resources, and they can use those resources whenever they like (at 16 or at 60 years of age), and there can be incentives to earn extra credits (e.g., by volunteering to help others use their resources you can earn more credits). These resources would not be institutionally defined...for example, if a citizen wants to use his credits to buy books rather than attend a school, he should be allowed to. [/quote] Luft. You're all (highly speculative) theory and no data. You want to fundamentally reorder society but you bring no evidence to bear except *hey, intuitively this sounds right to me!*
ardillacid Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 Don't spend $100,000 on a degree where you aren't going to be able to find a job and/or make peanuts
Era Might Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1318128165' post='2318233'] So a group of disconnected bureaucrats and judges would determine reality through statistics and then mete out punishment or reward based upon their incomplete data. Understood. [/quote] It's already done now. Discrimination is illegal. That's not new. [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1318129119' post='2318244'] Luft. You're all (highly speculative) theory and no data. You want to fundamentally reorder society but you bring no evidence to bear except *hey, intuitively this sounds right to me!* [/quote] So stop reading my posts. There's an "ignore" feature so my posts don't show up. That way you don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over every time I post. I get it: you think my opinions are foolish. So ignore me and be done with it. Edited October 9, 2011 by Era Might
4588686 Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1318129845' post='2318251'] It's already done now. Discrimination is illegal. That's not new. So stop reading my posts. There's an "ignore" feature so my posts don't show up. That way you don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over every time I post. I get it: you think my opinions are foolish. So ignore me and be done with it. [/quote] Ok. And if you don't like reading my continued criticisms of your posts you can put me on ignore. I don't think you're a fool. I genuinely think you have interesting ideas. I think you are, at times, intellectually lazy in that you don't ever seem to want to do the less sexy work of putting these interesting ideas to the test and backing them with specifics and data.
Jaime Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1318043411' post='2317770'] We need an amendment to the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of schooling." It should be illegal to require someone to have gone to a school in order to get a job (and it should certainly be illegal to require anyone to go to a school). [/quote] Yeah that's what I want from my surgeon.
Era Might Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1318130528' post='2318261']Ok. And if you don't like reading my continued criticisms of your posts you can put me on ignore. I don't think you're a fool. I genuinely think you have interesting ideas. I think you are, at times, intellectually lazy in that you don't ever seem to want to do the less sexy work of putting these interesting ideas to the test and backing them with specifics and data. [/quote] I don't come on Phatmass to do scientific experiments. I'm here to discuss things. I assume that the people I am discussing with can handle hearing ideas and putting them into context without me having to spell everything out. What do you want? Do you want a bibliography? Do you want me to name drop things I've read for facts and figures? This ain't the place for that. Not for me, anyway...if you want to have such a discussion then feel free to contact me personally and we can discuss anything you want. I come here to post a few times a week when a topic happens to strike my fancy. That's it. I will take your advice and put you on ignore. Edited October 9, 2011 by Era Might
Lil Red Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1318130528' post='2318261']I don't think you're a fool. I genuinely think you have interesting ideas. I think you are, at times, intellectually lazy in that you don't ever seem to want to do [b]the less sexy work[/b] of putting these interesting ideas to the test and backing them with specifics and data.[/quote]
4588686 Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1318131084' post='2318273'] I don't come on Phatmass to do scientific experiments. I'm here to discuss things.[/QUOTE] Right, and part of the discussion is probably going to be, 'Hey, Era, you're ideas would fundamentally reorder the social fabric of our culture, do you have any evidence or really rigorous arguments to back this speculation up with?" That is a perfectly fair question and if you can't handle it then you should grow thicker skin. [QUOTE]I assume that the people I am discussing with can handle hearing ideas and putting them into context without me having to spell everything out. What do you want? Do you want a bibliography? Do you want me to name drop things I've read for facts and figures? This ain't the place for that.[/QUOTE] I didn't there was a law against providing references and specifics on an internet forum. My apologies. [QUOTE]Not for me, anyway...if you want to have such a discussion then feel free to contact me personally and we can discuss anything you want. I come here to post a few times a week when a topic happens to strike my fancy. That's it.[/QUOTE] I don't know you personally or how to contact you. The reason I question you more is because sometimes I doubt the extent to which you have researched the topics you are talking about which makes me doubt your theoretical pronouncements. Over a year ago we had an in depth discussion about the tendencies of collectivists states to become homogeneous in their leadership with you referring to the USSR. The USSR is something I have a fair bit of specific knowledge of having done some extracurricular reading and taken some classes from some of the foremost experts on the system and region in the world. From our conversation it was pretty clear that you did not really know anything about the leadership of the USSR and when I asked you specific questions about how, for example, Bukharin's execution and the emergence or Trotskism fit with your assertions of the inherent homogeneity of a collectivist state like the USSR you simply dodged the question and fell back on chat not being the place to go into specifics and gavethe impression of not really understanding the topic. You're right that the extent to which you can provide specific data on an internet forum but the few times you have broached topics I know something about I have come away with the impression that you have not done serious research into the topic. Which makes me very wary of taking your assertions about things I am ignorant of, like education reform, at face value without you providing some specifics. Again, I don't think you're a fool. I think you have interesting ideas. I just with you showed more signs of doing specific research into the substantive veracity of those ideas so I could take them more at face value. [QUOTE]I will take your advice and put you on ignore. [/quote] I wasn't advising you. I was just making an observation.
4588686 Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1318131694' post='2318287'] [/quote] You're kinds sexy when you look confused.
Lil Red Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1318132264' post='2318298']You're kinds sexy when you look confused.[/quote] which is to say I'm totally hawt all the time, right?
Era Might Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1318132200' post='2318295'] Right, and part of the discussion is probably going to be, 'Hey, Era, you're ideas would fundamentally reorder the social fabric of our culture, do you have any evidence or really rigorous arguments to back this speculation up with?" That is a perfectly fair question and if you can't handle it then you should grow thicker skin. [/quote] The answer is yes, I do. [quote]I didn't there was a law against providing references and specifics on an internet forum. My apologies.[/quote] There's not. I'm simply not here to do so. [quote] I don't know you personally or how to contact you[/quote] You can send me a personal message or an email. It's quite easy. [quote]Which makes me very wary of taking your assertions about things I am ignorant of, like education reform, at face value without you providing some specifics.[/quote] Don't take anyone's assertions at face value, certainly not mine. [quote]Again, I don't think you're a fool. I think you have interesting ideas. I just with you showed more signs of doing specific research into the substantive veracity of those ideas so I could take them more at face value.[/quote] I claim no "substantive veracity" to my ideas. I only claim that they are my ideas. If you want to determine whether they have "substantive veracity" you clearly know how to do research. [quote]I wasn't advising you. I was just making an observation. [/quote] Duly noted. Take care. And as I said, feel free to contact me privately. Edited October 9, 2011 by Era Might
ardillacid Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1318129508' post='2318248']Don't spend $100,000 on a degree where you aren't going to be able to find a job and/or make peanuts[/quote]great post!
Jaime Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1318132906' post='2318319'] dude, quit messing with my flow. [/quote] bored?
Jaime Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 still adorable. I'll stop messing with your groove
ardillacid Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 [quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1318133163' post='2318329']great post![/quote]this
Jesus_lol Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 well, im changing my trade. had enough of industrial mechanic. now i just gotta choose, Plumber or Electrician.... ?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now