An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Postulant For The Carmel Of Terre Haute!

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

The Carmelite Nuns of Terre Haute, IN welcomed a new postulant, Thien Thien, from California on September 20th, 2011. Now the nuns have both a novice and a postulant in the novitiate. :)

To see pictures of the postulant's entrance day and read her vocation story, go to http://heartsawake.org, click "I have Flash" and wait for the "Heart to Heart" to load. When it gets to the main page, click the "What's New" link at the bottom left, or go to the Monastery pop-up menu and click "What's New."

brandelynmarie

I do love this Carmel so! Major congratualtions are in order! Thien Thien is so right too. I need to quit wavering. Some days I seem to have a serious case of weeble wobbles :stars: .

Edited by brandelynmarie

OnlySunshine

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318203383' post='2318760']
I do love this Carmel so! Major congratualtions are in order! Thien Thien is so right too. I need to quit wavering. Some days I seem to have a serious case of weeble wobbles :stars: .
[/quote]

Don't we all?!? :hehe2:

[quote name='begin_again' timestamp='1318210316' post='2318847']
Does this community accept belated vocations?
[/quote]

Yes, they accept women up to age 45. They might even accept a few years higher than that. If you would like to contact them, here is their information:

Mother Mary Clare
c/o Carmelite Monastery of St. Joseph
59 Allendale
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4751
812-299-1410 ex. 202

When I got a hold of them by email, I used the form on their website. Mother Mary Clare asked me, when she replied, to use her personal email because the form on the website was not working well at all (I had to send my info twice before I got a response). Her email is:

mmaryclare@gmail.com

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I had a friend who, when/if widowed, wanted to enter this Carmel. Fortunately, her husband is still with her. Unfortunately, she's long past the age limit for entering.

Every time I read/see about a new young woman entering a convent/monastery, my heart beats a little faster! What a blessing to the Order, to the Lord, and to the world.

Its so good to see a very honest vocation story too, and I think it says a lot about the community (and specifically the superiors) that they are willing to have on the website someone saying 'Actually, no I'm not sure but lets give it a go and see'. I do like this community, and it was on my list had I not swallowed my pride and asked to start again with NH.

I had my eye on this community for a long time and I even wrote to them recently (about 3 months ago) asking for information. Mother Mary Clare sent me this huge packet of material, including a book about the history of the monastery with black and white photos from the 1950s. I read through every bit of it. I found it very interesting, but I don't believe I'm called to visit there. I honestly think that God is calling me to an active/contemplative order like the RSMs, not the cloistered/contemplative life of Carmel. I do so love the nuns, though. I always jump for joy when I see that they have new members or that one of the nuns has made vows. :)

SoonerCatholic

I was just at Terre Haute on Saturday for Sr. Martha's 50th jubilee. The Mass was beautiful and I got to stay for the main dinner and the family supper. The new postulant Thien and one of the Korean sisters played a clarinet duet which was very good, despite the fact they claimed to be nervous. Lovely community, would love to stay myself...

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1318288516' post='2319344']
I was just at Terre Haute on Saturday for Sr. Martha's 50th jubilee. The Mass was beautiful and I got to stay for the main dinner and the family supper. The new postulant Thien and one of the Korean sisters played a clarinet duet which was very good, despite the fact they claimed to be nervous. Lovely community, would love to stay myself...
[/quote]

Very nice! :)