Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bowing During Nicene Creed In Mass


Bowing?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

About 2 years ago or so, I decided to follow the recommended posture of bowing during these three lines of the Nicene Creed in Mass:

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="2"] by the power of the Holy Spirit
He was born of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][size=4]It has developed into a devotion of mine and has increased my prayer life. I was wondering how many of you practice this as well and if you experienced a deeper devotion in prayer. All votes in the poll will be anonymous, but feel free to explain if you wish to. :)[/size][/size][/font]

MissScripture
Posted

When I started, I honestly had no idea WHY I was doing it, but everyone else was, too, so I did it. Now that I know why I am doing it, I do it regardless of if anyone else is doing it, but it's honestly more of a habit than any sort of thought out devotion.

Posted

i guess i was being a bad catholic... i had never looked up the meaning behind it til now, though I had always meant to! Thanks for the reminder!

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1318282143' post='2319307']
When I started, I honestly had no idea WHY I was doing it, but everyone else was, too, so I did it. Now that I know why I am doing it, I do it regardless of if anyone else is doing it, but it's honestly more of a habit than any sort of thought out devotion.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what it was for me at first. I did it because it became normal for me, but now I do it -- not because I have to -- because I want to. It became meaningful to me when I consecrated myself to the Blessed Virgin Mary on December 8th. I love how those three lines talk about the Spouse of the Holy Spirit and To Jesus through Mary. Very powerful! :)

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1318283208' post='2319320']
i guess i was being a bad catholic... i had never looked up the meaning behind it til now, though I had always meant to! Thanks for the reminder!
[/quote]

You're welcome. You're hardly a bad Catholic, though. ;)

she_who_is_not
Posted

I bow to recognize the deep mystery of the Incarnation. I bow becasue Christ humbled himself and came to Earth to suffer and die for our sins and to honor Mary who humbly submitted to the will of God. When we bow, we both bow to God in his Incarnation and reference the fiat of Mary by indicating our willingness to submit to His authority. Interestingly, I was taught the meaning of this practice when I was an Episcopalian. I don't ever remember talking about it in RCIA. Shock :sarcasm:

Posted

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1318288266' post='2319341']
I bow to recognize the deep mystery of the Incarnation. I bow becasue Christ humbled himself and came to Earth to suffer and die for our sins and to honor Mary who humbly submitted to the will of God. When we bow, we both bow to God in his Incarnation and reference the fiat of Mary by indicating our willingness to submit to His authority. Interestingly, I was taught the meaning of this practice when I was an Episcopalian. I don't ever remember talking about it in RCIA. Shock :sarcasm:
[/quote]

Beautiful. :love:

I do wish that catechists would have a better understanding of teaching the liturgy. I didn't understand the importance of the Eucharist until my reversion in December 2007. By then, I had received all the Sacraments of Initiation. I'm just thankful that I understand the Mass and the Mystery of the Eucharist now. :)

Posted

Yes, I do it too.

Posted

I bow my head ... not a full, at the waist bow, but a bow nonetheless.

Very few people at my parish do.

missionseeker
Posted

Totally read this topic as bowling during the Nicene Creed... lol

Posted

I do too ... I'm usualy one of maybe a handful that does. BTW -- did you know that there are lines in the Apostle's Creed where you bow as well? In the spanish Masses that I go to, 99% of the times the Apostle's Creed is said instead of the Nicene Creed.

Note however I do not bow while saying the Apostle's Creed in, for example, the rosary. Only at Mass.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1318498346' post='2320544']
Totally read this topic as bowling during the Nicene Creed... lol
[/quote]
So did I. :lol:

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1318498346' post='2320544']
Totally read this topic as bowling during the Nicene Creed... lol
[/quote]

rotfl

Little Flower
Posted

hmm. I always bow, but I don't know that its really a devotion. maybe more like, here Jesus, I'll do this for you. its not hard at all, but its something. idk. i suppose i dont think that much about it, but I know im supposed to.

Posted (edited)

I bow - I always have, I've always known why, but it's not a devotion.

Maybe half the folks in my church bow. I get the impression that the others aren't being obstreperous, they just don't know when to bow... but I can't tell you what gives me that impression... maybe the fact that they don't know when to come in on a song, either... and they act like they're not sure when to sit-stand-kneel so they wait for somebody else to do it first?




idk

Edited by Luigi
FutureSister2009
Posted

I bow when it's said in English and when I go to the Latin Mass at home we all genuflect. It just makes it more meaningful for me. I'm pretty sure we all genuflect in the English and Latin Masses for Christmas though.

Posted

Growing up, I never did, and as far as I know, no one else in my parish did, either. I saw the direction in the missellette to do so, but didn't really know what it was for and mostly ignored it. Once I actually saw people do it in real life, I copied them, and started doing it. Now, I do if I remember (and I know why), but if I forget or if I'm in a parish where no one does I probably won't.

My dad became deacon at a parish where no one did, and of course *he* did (on the altar), and so the altar servers asked him and he explained to them what it means and why he does that, probably adding, 'you're supposed to.' Now, some people in that parish do, too ;).

Posted (edited)

I go to the EF so we all genuflect there. I think it goes to show devotion to the incarnation of our Lord and also to the Eucharist in the tabernacle. As I genuflect, I always try to think of Jesus being before me and to adore Him.

Edited by icelisou68
Posted

I kneel. Since I go to Latin mass, but I answered for when I go to NO. ^.^

Posted

Here is a list of all the postures and gestures at Mass.
[url="http://www.adoremus.org/0210MassGesturesPostures.html"]http://www.adoremus.org/0210MassGesturesPostures.html[/url]

missionseeker
Posted

definitely keep reading this as bowling during nicene creed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...