An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best Discernment Advice You've Received

Lisa

Spem in alium

Be open in mind and heart. Remain open in mind and heart.

Discernment does not end once you marry or enter some form of consecrated life. A person never stops discerning. In fact, life is a constant discernment, as we are always searching for the manifestation of God's love and preferences in the everyday, for what He is saying and for how we should respond.

Spem in alium

(In regards to spiritual reading to help with discernment) "If you can't lectio it, it's not worth reading. The Bible should be the basis and source for direction."

Mary+Immaculate<3

I was on the OSIHJM's website, and they had a meditation to be done before the Blessed Sacrament. It was basically a spiritual exercise meditating on your future, your death bed. It said imagine you get married, have children, etc. At the end of your life, does that fulfill you, is it what God really wanted from you. The it goes on to do the same with the single life, and then the religious/priestly life. By the end of the meditation it usually follows that you have a greater understanding of what direction you're called, generally at least.

As far as a certain piece of advice, for me I fell in love with God in a reversion, but didn't know about my calling until a few months later. Jesus really proposed to me, so that wasn't hard. Just asking God to open your heart, because we all have hardened hearts and insecurities sometimes, seems like the first step to a fruitful discernment of one's vocation.

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria!

What is the best advice you've received? Who did it come from? How are you living it out?

"Consecrate yourself to Our Lady." She is the Mother of all vocations, the Queen of heaven and earth, the surest, most perfect, quickest, and easiest way to the Sacred Heart of Her Son.

I don't remember who said it first, but I did it with the MI at the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Poland, and now I am a Franciscan of the Immaculate following the example of St. Maximilian Kolbe. What a "coincidence"! Ave Maria!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

fra John Paul

Lil'Monster

"Doubts are Jesus asking you to trust Him." - Sr. Mary Ignatius

I love Sr. Mary Ignatius!!!

Spem in alium

I don't remember who said it first, but I did it with the MI at the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Poland, and now I am a Franciscan of the Immaculate following the example of St. Maximilian Kolbe. 

!!!! WOW! I have a special devotion to Our Lady of Czestochowa! :)

DiscerningCatholic

I love Sr. Mary Ignatius!!!

I know, right? 

Okay, and then Sr. Mary Grace (I think) was telling me this... "Religious life is great, but whenever there's a problem in the marriage, you know that it's all your fault!" :hehe2:

Edited by DiscerningCatholic