An Old School Catholic Message Board

What An Amazing Present!

faithcecelia

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318471507' post='2320423']
I like to pray horizontally, but the last time I did that at a cathedral I got in trouble! :hehe2: Seems the only place where it was acceptable was FUS :blush:.
[/quote]

Well ... St. Ignatius does talk about when alternate postures is acceptable. In private -- anything goes. In public ... I *think* he may have said that it shouldn't be done. What I *think* he would think is that prudence is required.

For example ... in the last community I was in, you could pray prostrated without a problem. It was acceptable. In fact -- that was my prayer position for about a month and a half during adoration per my s.d.'s request ;blush:.

In the 1st community ... it was a different postration position that was acceptable. We were shown how the position was done. Being as big as I am (I'm a bit overweight), it was difficult, so I couldn't do it for too long.

On retreats -- most of the time, the chapel is for retreatant's use, so any posture could go. Even a headstand if I wanted to (I know of someone who did that... it was a way to forcibly stay awake during her private prayer time).

At Church -- unless directed otherwise I follow the norms. Another example ... at two parishes I attend, I will kneel for communion. All others -- to avoid arguments, especially with a priest/deacon that I may not know, I avoid kneeling but I do a profound bow. Again -- prudence.

brandelynmarie

Oh chica, that was many years ago when I was a newbie catholic. I really didn't know any better then. :) Now I tend to do as the Roman Catholics do! :hehe2:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318514129' post='2320601']
Oh chica, that was many years ago when I was a newbie catholic. I really didn't know any better then. :) Now I tend to do as the Roman Catholics do! :hehe2:
[/quote]
Lol. I know ... I remember well ... oy (I'm thinking about when I was a newbie and the stuff I would do....).

But that was really a fair warning to the newbies that could be reading :)

Edited by cmariadiaz

I quite like praying in the half prostration position, I find it helpful for prayer, but to be honest I am fairly happy in any positing, providing it doesn't force my ankle to bend a way it is incapabe of!

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1318521771' post='2320657']
That is such a thoughtful gift, and it looks seriously comfortable. I hope you have many happy Masses with it. :love:
[/quote]

It is [i]very[/i] comfortable - I have sat on it for about 14hrs since I got it, basically, everything I have needed to sit for, I have used it - and I can't believe I only had it one day. And I guess when the hard times come, the days when I go to prayer and feel like there's no point because noting is happening, I can remember that the stool I am using was a gift from someone who cares for me very much, and that will be a starting point at least.