An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who's Who With The Slaves Of The Immaculate Heart Of Mary

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, I knew Dame Gertrude and Dame Anne. I have more memories of Dame Gertrude because Dame Anne went back to England! I'll never forget the Sunday night Vespers and Benediction when she passed out and the Brothers had to carry her out!
I was a teenager then and my first after school job was working in their bakery. I never worked so hard! Before that I volunteered helping out here and there. My family lives down the road the Abbey is their "parish". My parents still go to Mass there. This is why I know the place so well.

I'll have to look up that paper or you could PM me the link?

Dame Gertrude always had a sparkle in her eyes!

During those years you never knew what Abbot or Bishop would be saying Mass that day!

sistersintigo

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1318703029' post='2321651']
Since I have know the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (their initials are MICM) for 37 years I thought I could help you all get unconfused and clear up some misunderstandings!

The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary were originally a lay group founded by Fr. Leonard Feeney SJ in Boston in the 1940's.
[/quote]

Had to look this up elsewhere, if anybody else is curious:

MICM stands for
Mancipia Immaculati Cordis Mariae

sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1318791484' post='2322143']
the two founders from Harvard University, and its St Benedict [fr Feeney] Center, were the Maronite/Lebanese priest Rev Cyril Karam (died 1990) and the Catalonian/Spanish geologist Joan B Ribera i Faig. These men came to Harvard from extremely diverse points of departure, and unless I'm mistaken, the St Benedict Center there, and the original Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, were the things that brought the two men together.
I guess that both of them were in Still River although I have to find substantiation for this.
These two men, with a third companion who appears to have left them at some point, came together to Petersham.
The website for the Benedictine monks of Petersham only mentions these co-founders in passing.
[/quote]
Fr Cyril Karam and Br Stanislaus Ribera i Faig are remembered in vivid, affectionate detail
in "Keeping the Faith at Harvard" published by St Bede's Publications in 2010 at Petersham (at the monastery?).
For Br Stanislaus, see pp. 145 - 153.
For Fr Cyril, see pp. 193 - 211.

[I hesitate to quote directly from the above book, as it is under copyright, being so recently distributed, and the author still living....and the ease with which internet searches can expose post content from Phatmass out of context.]