An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Divine Office For Dodos

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie
:bible: I have picked up [i]The Divine Office for Dodos: A Step-by-Step Guide to Praying the Liturgy of the Hours [/i]by Madeline Pecora Nugent. Wish me luck, say a prayer, cuz I'm gonna need it! ( I almost added a purgatory tag, too :hehe2:)

brandelynmarie

Good. :) Glad to hear it. Cuz I'm looking at the different sections & seeing Dodo Self Checks #1- #91 & Extra Practice for Wise Dodos. :hehe2: . I just keep telling myself, baby steps...baby steps...If it helps me to even begin to wrap my brain around it, I will consider it a success. :saint2:

AccountDeleted

That sounds so funny - and helpful! I have seen alot of those 'guides for idiots' and usualy they are quite good.

Is it for the US version or the UK version? I'm not sure how one could 'simply' the UK version unless they cut out a few things like the vigils, special offices, etc, but I do have a chart that helps when I forget what antiphon to use for a feast instead of a ferial, memorial or solemnity, which are pretty easy. Feasts seem to be rarer so I forget from one to another just what parts to use and have to check my chart!

I just like the idea that people are interested enough in the Office to write study guides! Way to go. I love the Office and couldn't get through a day without it!

MissScripture

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318725916' post='2321833']
Good. :) Glad to hear it. Cuz I'm looking at the different sections & seeing Dodo Self Checks #1- #91 & Extra Practice for Wise Dodos. :hehe2: . I just keep telling myself, baby steps...baby steps...If it helps me to even begin to wrap my brain around it, I will consider it a success. :saint2:
[/quote]
I tell myself that the fact I'm trying counts for something! I'm still not entirely sure I do it correctly, because I learned from my sister over the phone before she left for the convent. And then when she was home this summer and we were praying together, she was doing some things different than I did, but Idk if that was because sometimes communities have little tweaks to it, or if I was just doing it wrong before that. Since then, I've done a combination of my old way and her way, so now I'm really probably not doing it anyone's right way. :smile3:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1318729393' post='2321865']
I tell myself that the fact I'm trying counts for something! I'm still not entirely sure I do it correctly, because I learned from my sister over the phone before she left for the convent. And then when she was home this summer and we were praying together, she was doing some things different than I did, but Idk if that was because sometimes communities have little tweaks to it, or if I was just doing it wrong before that. Since then, I've done a combination of my old way and her way, so now I'm really probably not doing it anyone's right way. :smile3:
[/quote]

Trying absolutely counts! And each community does have its own way of doing things. I have been in four Carmels and although they were all basically the same, they also each had their own little way of saying the Office, so whatever you are doing, I'm sure your heart is in it.

MissScripture

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1318730915' post='2321885']
Thats sounds amesome!

and on a unrelated book, Catholics for Dummies is suppossed to be really well done.
[/quote]
We used that one in our young adults group at my old church. I really liked it. I thought I was reasonably knowledgeable and I learned quite a bit from it. We started "The Catholic Mass for Dummies" right before we moved. That seemed to be pretty good, too.

LaPetiteSoeur

The title sounds great!

I still don't think I'm praying the office correct....and my breviary is entirely out of date (1962!)

Oh another great resource for praying the Divine Office is the St Joseph's Guide for Christian Prayer. I got one when I ordered my new breviary and it is so helpful. You find the date and then it tells you what page to turn to for each one of the hours. Very helpful on feast days! It is also the perfect size to slip into the front of my breviary so I am never without it.

Also how I learned to pray the Divine Office was by going to Vespers with the local Dominican Brothers. Actually doing it and seeing the rhythm of the prayer helped. I would suggest if you can find a community near you that has their prayer open to the public to go there.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1318729393' post='2321865']
[/quote]

That's kinda what I keep telling myself, ok God, this is brandelynmarie's version, but You know what I mean! :hehe:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1318736645' post='2321921']
Oh another great resource for praying the Divine Office is the St Joseph's Guide for Christian Prayer. I got one when I ordered my new breviary and it is so helpful. You find the date and then it tells you what page to turn to for each one of the hours. Very helpful on feast days! It is also the perfect size to slip into the front of my breviary so I am never without it.

Also how I learned to pray the Divine Office was by going to Vespers with the local Dominican Brothers. Actually doing it and seeing the rhythm of the prayer helped. I would suggest if you can find a community near you that has their prayer open to the public to go there.
[/quote]

I tried using a St. Joseph's Guide years ago & still found it confusing (doesn't take much with me sometimes!) However, we do have a Dominican community of friar preachers um, maybe 45 minutes from me. Must make a roadtrip. :)

FutureSister2009

I really should get a copy of that book before I really do enter into Religious Life. It would impress the Sisters if they asked me if I knew how to pray it and I said yes.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318753792' post='2321973']

I tried using a St. Joseph's Guide years ago & still found it confusing (doesn't take much with me sometimes!) However, we do have a Dominican community of friar preachers um, maybe 45 minutes from me. Must make a roadtrip. :)
[/quote]

One of the best advice my old SD gave me is to not use the St. Joseph guide until I was comfortable enough (it's confusing when you are just starting out) I've been praying the Office for about three years now and I just started using the St. Joseph guide about a year ago.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1318769946' post='2322041']
I really should get a copy of that book before I really do enter into Religious Life. It would impress the Sisters if they asked me if I knew how to pray it and I said yes.
[/quote]

FS,

I debated on whether or not to reply to this post but I thought I would. Please forgive me if I come across in any way as uncharitable.

When it comes to deepening your prayer life and doing things such as praying the Office it should not be to impress anyone (including the sisters you wish to discern with) but rather to bring you closer to Christ. I do sincerely hope that impressing the sisters is not the real reason you wish to begin praying the Office.

Pax,
HB

MissScripture

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318753792' post='2321973']

[/quote]
Another thing you could do is ask a priest to help you if you know one well enough that you would feel comfortable doing that. They all pray it every day, so they know how, and sometimes it's just easiest to have someone walk you through it a few times.