An Old School Catholic Message Board

'young Nuns' Tv Program

marigold

Hi folks,

A friend just alerted me to the fact that a program called [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016lts7"]Young Nuns[/url] is being shown on BBC1 next Tuesday (25th) at 10:35pm. Perhaps someone knows how to make this available to our North American phriends?

I find it interesting that the article says a small but [i]growing[/i] number of women are becoming nuns in the UK. And I wonder how they measure that. Does someone send round a questionnaire to all the convents every year, asking how many entrants they had? .... or is this sort of information kept in episcopal records and made available to statistics people? Presumably they are counting Anglican and Roman Catholic women, but what about Orthodox (the Monastery of St. John the Baptist comes to mind and it's bursting at the seams with nuns) and do they stretch to, for example, Buddhists?

marigold :)

Wow! Seems an unsual kind of documentary for Britain (more of the fruit, perhaps, of BXVI's visit last year) Just tried to get live/streaming video on BBC1 and got message it's not avail to me in "[my] area." I wonder if EWTN would/could somehow pick it up and re-broadcast it through their networks (if so, suppose wd be eventually).

Thanks Marigold! I can feel just a little smug that at last we Brits are starting to catch up on all the wonderful nun news you all have in the USA. Sometimes I feel quite left out. I have been praying for some time that someone would do something like this!
Praise God!

Years ago, when I was trying to get out of debt to enter first time round, I applied to one of the carboot sale sort of programmes. When the BBC called me they said they were interested in doing a documentary about me instead, following my journey. Unfortunately, my mother then became seriously ill and I felt it was not the right thing to do, but its certainly something they have been thinking about for some years (6 I think since then??). There have also been bits about COLW too - I remember seeing them on Songs of Praise once!

As for 'official' lists of the numbers entering religious life, at least 2 of the communities that I have discerned with have told me they have never been asked for numbers, so they are certainly not 100% accurate!

Even so, I will be keen to watch this programme when it airs.

That sounds really interesting. Thanks for posting about it. I will definitely watch it. Any programmes like this are hardly ever broadcast in the UK. There was one years and years ago about a community of Poor Clares but I missed most of it for some reason. And a good one on late one night last year about looking for a choir of nuns to record. That was channel 4 I think. That was very interesting. I think I mentioned it once on Phatmass.

The same friend has just sent me an article from [i]The Tablet [/i]about the program - unfortunately it's in PDF and I don't know how to upload that for everyone else to read! It mentions the CFRs in Leeds and there is a short quote from [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/116416-no-internet-news-on-laetitia-crucis/"]Laetitia Crucis, as Sr. Mary Catherine[/url]. I guess if you want the file you can PM me. Or, ideas anyone?

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319286673' post='2325092']
The same friend has just sent me an article from [i]The Tablet [/i]about the program - unfortunately it's in PDF and I don't know how to upload that for everyone else to read! It mentions the CFRs in Leeds and there is a short quote from [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/116416-no-internet-news-on-laetitia-crucis/"]Laetitia Crucis, as Sr. Mary Catherine[/url]. I guess if you want the file you can PM me. Or, ideas anyone?
[/quote]

I had wondered if the Dominican sisters were on it when I was looking at their website the other day and there are photos showing BBC filming - how exciting! I wonder which is the enclosed community?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319287027' post='2325097']

I had wondered if the Dominican sisters were on it when I was looking at their website the other day and there are photos showing BBC filming - how exciting! I wonder which is the enclosed community?
[/quote]

There are links on the BBC website and the TwentyTwenty website - too tired to put them in here now but you can find them through google.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319287264' post='2325099']

There are links on the BBC website and the TwentyTwenty website - too tired to put them in here now but you can find them through google.
[/quote]

Ah, yes thought it might be them, they 'look' the part! :nun3:

Edited by faithcecelia

catherineofsiena

I cant wait to see this...thank you so much for putting this up otherwise i may not have found out! can people in America access BBC iplayer? would this work? :)

[quote name='catherineofsiena' timestamp='1319315241' post='2325273']
I cant wait to see this...thank you so much for putting this up otherwise i may not have found out! can people in America access BBC iplayer? would this work? :)
[/quote]
I tried to find a way to make this work for people in America but after trying a couple of things and reading up on it on the website it looks like there isn't a way to make it work :(.

catherineofsiena

That's annoying :( hopefully it will make its way to youtube or something, sometimes i think the BBC makes DVD's of some of it's shows like 'Into Great Silence' but maybe not with this one. hopefully something will come up!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319286673' post='2325092']
[/quote]

Marigold--Can you post a link to the PDF file? If not, I at least would be interested in receiving the file.

I'd also be interested in any links to previews of the program, as mentioned in some other posts in this thread, as well as any news we get of how and when there might be a link to the video for U.S. and Canadian viewers. (I'd offer, but besides my general lack of skill at posting links, my computer is not always cooperative.)

This is VERY exciting news for vocations in the UK!

BTW--the Web site of the Dominican Sister's of St. Joseph (the Community to which Phatmasser Laetitia Crucis--now Sister Mary Catherine belongs) has posted a short article on the program, saying that some of the filming was indeed done at their priory. [url="http://www.dominicansrs.co.uk/News/news1.htm"]http://www.dominican.../News/news1.htm[/url]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola