An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody Want A Free Copy Of In This House Of Brede?

marigold

A Roman Catholic friend gave me a copy of the book and the film, and while I enjoyed them, they almost went in the clearout pile that I've been making today. But perhaps someone on here would like them? Free shipping - I'm all for encouraging vocations :P

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/burning_string/008.jpg[/img]

Mary's Margaret

What a lovely offer, Marigold. I would love to say 'yes please', but I'm sure there is someone discerning a Benedictine call who would better profit by it. Plus, I'm a glutton for books and I have several on my shelves waiting for me, so thank you for the opportunity to exercise right ordering of my desires!

LaPetiteSoeur

I no Benedictine takes them, I will!

I really like Rumer Godden; I read [i]Five For Sorrow, Ten for Joy[/i] and loved it! Now I want to go visit the Dominicans of Bethany, just to say "thank you!" for all the good work they did and have done in French prisons.

[quote name='Kathgirl' timestamp='1319475040' post='2326257']
I would love to accept!!!! If no one else asks. TY!!!!!!
[/quote]

I wish I could give them to all three of you but since Kathgirl didn't add qualifications, she gets 'em. PM me your mailing address :)

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319474576' post='2326255']
I no Benedictine takes them, I will!

I really like Rumer Godden; I read [i]Five For Sorrow, Ten for Joy[/i] and loved it! Now I want to go visit the Dominicans of Bethany, just to say "thank you!" for all the good work they did and have done in French prisons.
[/quote]

I love that one too. What a writer. I didn't know the Bethany Dominicans were still around, that's a nice surprise :)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319476154' post='2326268']

I love that one too. What a writer. I didn't know the Bethany Dominicans were still around, that's a nice surprise :)
[/quote]

Here's their website. It's in French, but if you want me to translate any parts, let me know!

http://www.dominicainesdebethanie.org/

sistersintigo

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319476154' post='2326268']

[/quote]
Not only are they still around, but they have stayed around long enough for the beatification of their founder.
Pere Jean Joseph Lataste OP is already Venerable; the word is officially out from the Vatican, that the Congregation in Rome
has approved a miracle attributed to Pere Lataste. Which means,
he should be Blessed Pere Lataste as soon as....the Vatican gets around to it....you know how that goes.

brandelynmarie

I bumped the Les Anges du Peche ([i]Angels of The Streets). [/i]It is based on the Dominicans of Bethany & they even have references to Venerable Pere Lataste as their founder. Plus, his gravesite plays a major role in movie as well. ;)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1319477302' post='2326287']
Not only are they still around, but they have stayed around long enough for the beatification of their founder.
Pere Jean Joseph Lataste OP is already Venerable; the word is officially out from the Vatican, that the Congregation in Rome
has approved a miracle attributed to Pere Lataste. Which means,
he should be Blessed Pere Lataste as soon as....the Vatican gets around to it....you know how that goes.
[/quote]

I don't think they have had any new novices/postulants in awhile. It makes me sad :( :cry:

[quote name='Kathgirl' timestamp='1319475040' post='2326257']
I would love to accept!!!! If no one else asks. TY!!!!!!
[/quote]

Kathgirl, did you forget to PM me your mailing address? You have 24 hours or they're going to LaPetiteSoeur!

Well since Kathgirl hasn't been in touch, they're over to you, LaPetiteSoeur! PM me your mailing address and they're yours! :)

• 2 weeks later...
LaPetiteSoeur

It came today!

Merci, Marigold! I hope to watch the movie next weekend, and read the book during Christmas break! And I'm wearing the prayer bracelet--you're in my prayers!

Oh, I regret so much that I blew it>Should have checked this thread before but I assumed I wasn't going to win.
Totally my fault. But thank you for offering, Marigold.

My pleasure, LPS. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them!

Kathgirl - I'm sorry too. Maybe I'll see if I've got any other Catholic kitsch left :)