An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question For All You Carmelites

marigold

I figured I might as well take advantage of the current Carmelite bumper crop and ask a question that's been in the back of my mind since I started lurking some time back. Over and over again in Carmel-related threads I read phrases along the lines of "the romanticism of Carmel" and people being warned (how seriously, I don't know) not to be carried away by the romantic ideal of floating around on a cloud or something. Now I just can't for the life of me see why Carmelite life would be 'especially' romantic or seductive (or easier OR harder) in a way that other Orders don't seem to be. Any ideas?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I didn't even see any of that, and I am a Carmelite hopeful. I don't know what that means either :( Beats me.

For me, it was the fact that I was romanticizing Carmel after learning about St. Therese of Lisieux. All I could see was the intense beauty of it, but I knew nothing of its hardships and trials. I wanted so badly to be a Carmelite because of Therese. Little did I know that God had something else in store. I know, now, that my view was like "not seeing the forest for the trees." :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Bumper crop? As far as I know vocation station has only had one Carmelite enter and stay and that is InthearmsoftheLord who entered Elysburg last year.

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319760459' post='2327960']
Bumper crop? As far as I know vocation station has only had one Carmelite enter and stay and that is InthearmsoftheLord who entered Elysburg last year.
[/quote]

Actually there is [b]Necole [/b](PMer name) who entered Traverse City Carmel, [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfTheInfantJesusOfPragueTraverseCityMI"]https://picasaweb.go...eTraverseCityMI[/url] , and was clothed a yr or so. We write each other and so far she is in "heaven"! Her letters are so beautiful and full of God and the Carmelite charism. She is to take or did take (have to check) her First Profession of Vows soon. She didn't post a lot on PM so not a lot may know or remember her.

I must keep them in case she becomes a saint! You never know!

Edited by Chiara Francesco

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319744002' post='2327818']
I wanted so badly to be a Carmelite because of Therese. :)
[/quote]

I so badly wanted to be an OP because of Therese... :|

:hehe:

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1319761560' post='2327968']

Actually there is [b]Necole [/b](PMer name) who entered Traverse City Carmel, [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfTheInfantJesusOfPragueTraverseCityMI"]https://picasaweb.go...eTraverseCityMI[/url] , and was clothed a yr or so. We write each other and so far she is in "heaven"! Her letters are so beautiful and full of God and the Carmelite charism. She is to take or did take (have to check) her First Profession of Vows soon. She didn't post a lot on PM so not a lot may know or remember her.

I must keep them in case she becomes a saint! You never know!
[/quote]

Yay! ok so two then! The OPs and Franciscans are still winning though :( :hehe:

I do romanticize. But, from the writings of St.Therese and the testamonials of various sisters, the austerity has been revealed. Their penance and mortification, their simplicity, their brown-ness. And I think God likes to call phatmassers at the some times sometimes... hahahah my friend (lives here, not cyberland) is about to make her live-in at covington. Another friend of mine is entering covington early 2012. Many other acquaintances are discerning the order of Elijah as well. It spreads by word of mouth and curiosity sends us searching for more. Some of the searchers end uo being called.

Now that I think about it, it is the sandals.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319760459' post='2327960']
[/quote]

Maybe it's not a crop yet. Just thought there was a lot of Carmel-y stuff going on here atm.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319761858' post='2327969']

[/quote]

I can almost understand that! I tend to think that I have grown to love Therese in spite of Story of a Soul not because of it!

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319761858' post='2327969']

[/quote]

:rolleyes:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1319761310' post='2327966']
It's got to be the shoes, or lack there of.
[/quote]

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319764020' post='2327983']

Now that I think about it, it is the sandals.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's most definitely the sandals.:rolleyes: But I was at one point looking into the Poor Clare Colettines because of the bare feet! :hehe:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319758323' post='2327957']
Can't answer - not a Carmelite any more :P
[/quote]

Oh, you tease... :)