An Old School Catholic Message Board

General Confession Before Entry

faithcecelia

Have any of you who have already entered communities made a General Confession first? I had never heard of them until recently (or I had but not appreciated what they were) and my initial reaction was that they were unnecessary if you already confess regularly, as there is no need to go over again sins for which you have already been absolved.

In the last couple of weeks, however, I feel God calling me to make a General Confession, to completely bare myself to Him, through the priest, so that I can be as free from sin as a human can before I enter. I even think I know the priest He wants me to go to, even though it would mean asking by description.

What are your thoughts, please?

Having never been in this situation, yet, I think it sounds like a good idea. That way, you can begin formation with a clean slate and no worries. ;)

I know the Jesuits do this as part of their formation (I believe it is after the first week of the Spiritual Exercises during their 30 day silent retreat). The first time I heard about it I thought it was SUPER harsh. Now though I can see the value in it, I think if you feel called to make one then go for it.

AccountDeleted

I tried to do a general confession once but the priest wasn't into it. He was a Traditional Latin Mass priest too so I thought he would be all for it, but he told me that my weekly confessions were enough. I didn't push it with him because he was my SD at the time, but I do like the idea of a GC.

When I entered religious life it was suggested to me by the community I was to enter to do a general confession with a [b]religious priest[/b]. I did it, and the priest gave me absolution and the explicit mandate of never looking back at the sins of the past.

To me it was a great grace, and I've remembered it my whole life because the enemy of our Peace tends to have us go back again and again to whatever troubles us. So it proved to be a liberating grace.

It certainly depends on the disposition and circumstances of the person but entering religious life may be, in faith, like stepping into a brand new beginning, and that is what a general confession is meant for, to mark a decisive turning point in one's life.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1320285710' post='2330596']
What is a general confession? I've never heard of it before...
[/quote]

You confess all the sins you have committed since Baptism, even though most will have already been absolved. In my case I feel the need to go earlier than my baptism as I was baptised as an adult but was a Christian from childhood and was well aware than some of my actions were sinful.

It takes quite some time to prepare, and is advisable you tell the priest ahead of time.

I hadn't been keen on the idea, but God has sewn it in my heart this last week, and I take especial note as when I made my first confession, sometime after my Reception into the Church as it is officially optional then, it was in the Mass of All Saints I deceded that yes, I needed to go. I cannot believe it is just coincidence that the timings are so similar.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1320286126' post='2330598']

You confess all the sins you have committed since Baptism, even though most will have already been absolved. In my case I feel the need to go earlier than my baptism as I was baptised as an adult but was a Christian from childhood and was well aware than some of my actions were sinful.

It takes quite some time to prepare, and is advisable you tell the priest ahead of time.

I hadn't been keen on the idea, but God has sewn it in my heart this last week, and I take especial note as when I made my first confession, sometime after my Reception into the Church as it is officially optional then, it was in the Mass of All Saints I deceded that yes, I needed to go. I cannot believe it is just coincidence that the timings are so similar.
[/quote]

If you can find a priest who will do it - go for it!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1320286378' post='2330602']

If you can find a priest who will do it - go for it!
[/quote]

I have plenty to choose from! My first choice would be a particular priest from Westminster Cathedral who I found very good, but if not I have 2 priests in my parish, plus Quarr too!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1320286910' post='2330607']

I have plenty to choose from! My first choice would be a particular priest from Westminster Cathedral who I found very good, but if not I have 2 priests in my parish, plus Quarr too!
[/quote]

That's great. I have one priest who services four parishes and I doubt he would go for it.... but before I (God willing) enter, I will probably go to Melbourne and see if I can find one there who will do it.

You are blessed to have so many nearby.

I've done a general Confession and it happened to be exactly one year after I was received back into the Church. I felt the pressing on my heart from the Holy Spirit to do it, and I felt so much better afterward. The priest who helped me was very nice (also my former spiritual director).

If I feel a need to do one if I ever enter anywhere (God-willing), I will probably set up a private meeting with my pastor. I really like him because he has given me such wonderful advice. I like Confessors that tell you the truth in a firm, Christ-like manner and not sugar coat it. He does just that. I feel SO much better after I go to him. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

TeresaBenedicta

Hm. Not a bad idea.

I meant to make one during the spiritual exercises last month, but then thought I'd wait until I enter... and now that I'm entering, I'm not sure I'll have the time to prepare or make the confession! Maybe I'll wait until this summer when we make the month long exercises. Hm...

I don't think there's a right answer to this one Faith, there's just the answer that feels right for you. If you feel that God is suggesting this to you I'd say trust him and go with it. He's taken pretty good care of you so far after all :)