An Old School Catholic Message Board

Distance From Family

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote]If I went into the DSMME or the Nashville Dominicans, I would be in Michigan or Tennessee. So that's not as bad.[/quote]
Futuresister, that's not the case anymore. They are sent to TX, CA, Missouri, FL and spreading to new states every year.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1321220656' post='2335793']
[color=#333333][font=Arial][size=4]In search of my Love[/size][/font][/color]
I will go over mountains and strands;
I will gather no flowers,
I will fear no wild beasts;
And pass by the mighty and the frontiers.

[/quote]

Printing this now.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320350418' post='2330881']
I had more of a problem with it earlier in my discernment. So much so that I only considered a Carmelite monastery that was 2 hours away from my house and the Little Sisters of the Poor because they had a house about 6 hours away. I'm not so worried about it anymore. Michigan is pretty far away from my home (several states away). I was even going to join an order in Wisconsin until I realized God wasn't calling me there. I don't care so much about distance. However, there is the worry about how I will get home. One of my questions for the Vocation Director when I go next week is:

Who pays for the visits home? Do the parents pay or does the community fund the trip?

The reason I want to ask this is because the order in Wisconsin that I applied to in 2009 paid for every visit so their Sisters could visit their families for a week or two (can't remember how long it was). I hope that they pay the way otherwise I would not be able to come home very often since my parents are in the lower middle-class bracket. I'm not even sure how often they'll be able to visit me. :unsure:

All that said, it is not a dealbreaker. If I feel called, I'll enter regardless of the little problems. ;)
[/quote]

I got my answer to the question I had. The Sisters pay for the visits. The postulants go home once and have their family visit once. The professed get to go home for 5 days. :)

MissScripture

[quote name='andibc' timestamp='1321234981' post='2335893']
Futuresister, that's not the case anymore. They are sent to TX, CA, Missouri, FL and spreading to new states every year.
[/quote]
And the Nashville Dominicans have a mission in Australia, though I have heard they are more likely to have the Australian Sisters go back there rather than sending lots of the American sisters, but it's still a possibility.

One thing to keep in mind, and remind families of, is that you don't know where you would end up even if you didn't enter a convent. You couldn't necessarily stay close to family even if you don't enter just because of other circumstances, such as jobs.
As far as staying close to family while far away --from the family side of it, my sisters letters are such a wonderful surprise. :proud: It's one of those things where you learn to really cherish the little things. Any time we get to spend on visit days is such a gift, and getting a letter is just so exciting. Our relationship has changed, as has her relationship with my parents, but some of that is just a matter of growing up, so of course relationships will change from that. But also, it's a comfort to me to know she's got me in her prayers and that we are together at Mass. We also have a devotional book that we both have a copy of, and we pray that "together" (although, I am sometimes very bad about remembering. :blush: ) There are times I still really miss her, and I wish I could just pick up the phone and call her for a chat or send her quick e-mail, but knowing how happy she is and that she is where she is supposed to be is worth that.

dominicansoul

for those of you who have left home to go to college.. i never ever did that. I never wanted to leave my mother for college, for a job, for nothing!

She and I had a very supernatural bond. I can't describe it. But when the Lord did call me, I very eagerly accepted. This meant going across the country, far from my mother, who does not travel. At first, it was extremely difficult. But the Lord gives graces and He replaced fears with hope and with courage. Don't waste too much energy on this. God is totally in charge, and He will not be out done in generosity. You are giving Him your total self. God understands the bonds we have with our loved ones... oh, if only most of you knew!! The wonders and the beauty that come with religious life!!! and teh BLESSINGS that you receive and even your loved ones will receive!! No worries!! God is in charge!!!

My superior left everything to enter the convent, and decades later, it was she who was caring for her father in his old age. A benefactor allowed her father to move ACROSS THE STREET from the convent, into a little house he owned. So, see, God takes care of things!!! This is just one example of thousands of examples of how God makes your bond with your family even stronger, despite distance and despite you not physically being at home with them...

MissScripture

I would like to add that there may be members of your family who despite your best efforts to explain things and despite them knowing you are very happy, will still find it very difficult to accept your decision. But you have to remember who you are doing this for and pray that they will come to an understanding. In my sister's case, sadly, my grandparents have been giving her a very hard time, because of the limitations of her ability to contact them and visit them. Even my brother who is an atheist is having a much easier time with all of it, because it is clear she is so happy there. I wouldn't ignore the advice and thoughts of family members on what you're doing, because getting another perspective is often helpful, but don't let the fear of someone being upset with you stand in the way of doing what you need to do to follow God's call. You won't be truly happy staying close to your family if God's will is for you to be somewhere else.