An Old School Catholic Message Board

Retreat Opportunity..

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

A friend just told me about a retreat with the Sisters of Life happening in a few weeks... although I am not discerning particularly with the Sisters of Life (though I love them :D), I've never been to a retreat with Sisters before and I would love to go because it could help me with discerning religious life in general. There would be Mass, Adoration, conferences with the Sisters, an opportunity to meet a Sister, etc... I have so many questions so I thought this is an amesome opportunity! and it seems it's free, it's not very far from where I live, and hopefully I could get transportation arranged. It seems like a perfect opportunity and I have friends going on the retreat too.

I am requesting your prayers.. Please pray that I would actually be able to go on the retreat, if it's God's will. Please pray especially that my family would let me go. I am so happy I found out about this but I'm afraid of my family not agreeing. Thank you soo much!!! :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Praying! I have heard SO many good things about the Sisters of Life! I have never particularly felt called to them either, but it always good to look at other communities.

MarysLittleFlower

thank you so much everyone! :) I have spoken to my family and said it's a retreat with the Sisters of Life, and where it is, etc, and I just said they'll probably be telling us about their life and how to discern God's will for ourselves etc. My family let me go, - so I'm really glad :)

however, there is one thing that I'm not sure about... I did not actually tell my family that I'm discerning or that this retreat is specifically for discerning religious life. I can't decide, was this dishonest? :( I just don't think that I'm ready to tell my family that I'm discerning religious life.... especially because - yesterday, it seems like God took away all my desires for (any) vocation so that I'm more open to what He wants, not what I want... so at this point, I have[i] no idea [/i]what He wants me to do. I'm mostly going on this retreat now just to stay open to His will and to see if He would use this somehow. Also, my friends who are going to this same retreat, do not all think that they are definitely called to be nuns, they are trying to stay open and seek God's will also. I can't decide... do you think it's dishonest to not tell your family everything? was I being deceptive, etc? I dont know! (I hope not..). I'm not sure how to say it in the right way.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1320523149' post='2331971']
thank you so much everyone! :) I have spoken to my family and said it's a retreat with the Sisters of Life, and where it is, etc, and I just said they'll probably be telling us about their life and how to discern God's will for ourselves etc. My family let me go, - so I'm really glad :)

however, there is one thing that I'm not sure about... I did not actually tell my family that I'm discerning or that this retreat is specifically for discerning religious life. I can't decide, was this dishonest? :( I just don't think that I'm ready to tell my family that I'm discerning religious life.... especially because - yesterday, it seems like God took away all my desires for (any) vocation so that I'm more open to what He wants, not what I want... so at this point, I have[i] no idea [/i]what He wants me to do. I'm mostly going on this retreat now just to stay open to His will and to see if He would use this somehow. Also, my friends who are going to this same retreat, do not all think that they are definitely called to be nuns, they are trying to stay open and seek God's will also. I can't decide... do you think it's dishonest to not tell your family everything? was I being deceptive, etc? I dont know! (I hope not..). I'm not sure how to say it in the right way.
[/quote]

No, I wouldn't call it deceptive. You already said that you are not discerning with this order, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

i<3franciscans

MM is right you are not being deceptive. They did not [i]ask[/i] if you were discerning so I think you are good. :) Many prayers for you! *hugs*

MarysLittleFlower

thank you :) I really don't want to be deceptive.. I just don't know how to tell them, because my feelings about vocations are so complicated. I don't know for sure if God is calling me. I don't feel like I know anything at all at this moment, but I want to discern. Maybe i could just mention to them that it's a discerment type of retreat, I don't know. There are girls going who feel drawn to marriage but just want to stay open. It's not like a "come and see" specifically. If my parents ask me a direct question, ie: are you discerning, - I would say that I am but don't know God's will yet. (as I don't). Lol I tend to go over these questions in my mind so I appreciate the responses.. :) I'll also ask my priest what he thinks.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1320527742' post='2331992']
thank you :) I really don't want to be deceptive.. I just don't know how to tell them, because my feelings about vocations are so complicated. I don't know for sure if God is calling me. I don't feel like I know anything at all at this moment, but I want to discern. Maybe i could just mention to them that it's a discerment type of retreat, I don't know. There are girls going who feel drawn to marriage but just want to stay open. It's not like a "come and see" specifically. If my parents ask me a direct question, ie: are you discerning, - I would say that I am but don't know God's will yet. (as I don't). Lol I tend to go over these questions in my mind so I appreciate the responses.. :) I'll also ask my priest what he thinks.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. I over think things all too often and sometimes I think we just need some back up to confirm to ourselves that we are not crazy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
AccountDeleted

I think it's a great idea for you to go. You may have noticed on another thread that Lil Mon is going on a retreat despite the fact that she keeps insisting she is NOT going to be a nun :)

You have no idea where God is leading you, and you may find either that you DO want to join this community, that you DO want to be a religious but not with this community, or that you simply DON'T want to be a religious. Or you may come back even more unsure than before you went, but there is no doubt in my mind that the whole experience will bring you closer to God. Go and enjoy yourself and be at peace that this is a good thing.

I can only give you advice from my own experience....When I was discerning, I told friends and family I was going on retreats, but didn't give specifics. I felt comfortable with that. I knew that bringing up the vocation issue would be difficult, so I held off until I found the order I wanted to enter. That way, if they had questions, (how often can you visit? can you write letters?) I could answer them directly.

I've been to a Sisters of Life retreat and even though I didn't enter with them, it was a great experience. It's a peaceful, no-pressure atmosphere and Mother Agnes Mary, is a very holy, wise woman. It's also nice to meet other discerners and hear their stories. Overall, go with an open heart, you never know what God will do!