An Old School Catholic Message Board

Funny Thing Today

the171

I was told I was very "earthy." "Dylana, you'd be the type of person who would be a vegetarian."

Funny. Because I'm discerning with CARMELITES xD I just realized how verbally ironic this was.... hhahaha little things.

What made it better: I was reading about Sr.Mary Agnes (extern at Buffalo Carm) and the word "vegetarian" pops up. It instantly came to mind. I giggled uncontrollably. Even if it isn't a sign from God, it's pretty funny. (That friend is Pentecostal. Makes it even FUNNIER)

i<3franciscans

I love little things like that... It is like God is saying, "See you are on the right track." and I really need reminders!

Edited because I can't think and type at the same time.

Edited by i<3franciscans

FutureCarmeliteClaire

That is hilarious. Okay, but please explain, Carmelites aren't vegetarians, right? I did not think they were... I cannot live without my meat! :) Well, I can... on Fridays and fasting days, but that's it!

Carmel is know for its penitential practices. Abstaining from meat being one of them. Maybe nunsense could comment more about this?

SoonerCatholic

[I'm not nunsense, but...] If I recall correctly, perpetual abstinence from meat was part of the older, traditional Carmelite rule such as described by Mother Catherine Thomas in My Beloved; but this is not the case now, at least since the more recent reforms. Now I think it varies by community with some of the stricter, more traditional ones retaining that particular penance.

Edited by SoonerCatholic

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1320466170' post='2331668']
[I'm not nunsense, but...] If I recall correctly, perpetual abstinence from meat was part of the older, traditional Carmelite rule such as described by Mother Catherine Thomas in My Beloved; but this is not the case now, at least since the more recent reforms. Now I think it varies by community with some of the stricter, more traditional ones retaining that particular penance.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if that was the case.

InPersonaChriste

And this is why i am not discerning with Carmelites. I start to shut down mentally and physically without meat, and when abstaining, eggs dont neccsarily cut it for me (unless i'm eating like 10 eggs a day). Stop making sense, anger easily, can't meditate, cry easily... Thats just a few of my symtoms...

I can do a couple days of no meat, but after that I do need a recharge.

Oh and did I mention that I had an allergic reaction to milk this week? ...

:blush:

Back on topic,
It's amesome that you are discerning a Carmelite vocation 171.
:)

Edited because I havent had meat in 24 hours...!!!! hahahaha

Edited by InPersonaChriste

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1320471035' post='2331730']
And this is why i am not discerning with Carmelites. I start to shut down mentally and physically without meat, and when abstaining, eggs dont neccsarily cut it for me (unless i'm eating like 10 eggs a day). Stop making sense, anger easily, can't meditate, cry easily... Thats just a few of my symtoms...

Back on topic,

[/quote]

"that's the good thing about Carmel: if you need to, you can." -Sr.Mary John. anyway, wherever God calls, he calls. not everyone is razzle dazzle enough to be Carmelite haha ;) jk jk hahah

FutureCarmeliteClaire

OH, okay. I get it. I actually am not a huge meat person, so it wouldn't be THAT bad but still... :)

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320489778' post='2331769']
OH, okay. I get it. I actually am not a huge meat person, so it wouldn't be THAT bad but still... :)
[/quote]

Carmelites do eat fish sometimes, and a sister can have meat if she has a medical need that can't be managed without it, but as a general rule they have a simple vegetarian diet. By the time you're ready to enter, it may not be such an issue - at your age I was a serious carnivore, but my tastes have changed naturally over time, and now I don't like meat that much. I never eat it by choice, only if I'm in a place where someone serves it to me, and it's more of a penance to eat it than not.

Or perhaps not eating it will always be a sacrifice for you. Wherever you go in religious life, you'll have to make a few of those. ;) I wouldn't worry.

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1320471035' post='2331730']

Back on topic,

[/quote]

I think I have the same issues. When I was a vegetarian/vegan, I was VERY moody. My mom always said how rundown I looked, too. I have come to the conclusion that humans are meant to be omnivorous because we need meat to survive, especially regarding Vitamin B-12, which is VERY difficult to absorb from plant sources. :)

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320504688' post='2331837']

I think I have the same issues. When I was a vegetarian/vegan, I was VERY moody. My mom always said how rundown I looked, too. I have come to the conclusion that humans are meant to be omnivorous because we need meat to survive, especially regarding Vitamin B-12, which is VERY difficult to absorb from plant sources. :)
[/quote]

Yeah and B-12 in soy is one; unprocessable for humans, and two; really genetically messed with..
When my brother was in seminary he lost over 18 pound because his metabolism is insanely fast. Fr Peter was going to call him out for being a glutton (like eating 3 plates at every meal) and then my brother told him how much weight he lost. He looked insanely sick for a while, and he also can't have milk (allergic to protien) so lent at seminary was a tart for him...