An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Celibacy Lead To Homosexual And Pedophile Behavior By Priests?

southern california guy

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1322411047' post='2341179']
Obviously you have shiitake mushroom gaydar. Somehow I can't help but suspect that your poor gay-dar, a few beers too many, a new 'friend' you met at the bar and went to go hang out with, and a night of miscommunication, surprise, and then shame led to your weird fixation/paranoia about homosexuals that you display here and at subtuum.
[/quote]

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1322411047' post='2341179']
Right. So seeing as you're a virgin I guess I can expect to be reading a post about your new 'roommate' Todd any day now.
[/quote]

Totally uncalled for.

BTW, are you still boxing?

He
[img]http://saints.sqpn.com/pope0264a.jpg[/img]
Wrote this
[img]http://www.rcav.org/uploadedImages/Diocesan_Offices/Religious_Education/cover-tob.jpg[/img]

He was celibate and had a greater understanding of heterosexuality than anyone I've ever known.

I agree that some of the posts directed at SCG have been harsh (although I do think that he needs to address what appears to be an unhealthy obsession with sexuality, and I don't say that in an unkind way - we all have our problems to deal with). But there is another worry here as well: SCG himself is being uncharitable. There are many celibate people on this board - priests, religious sisters, laypeople like me - and it isn't pleasant to have SCG suggesting that we're all latent paedophiles. Child abuse is a terrible thing, and having a stranger insist that you are likely to harm a child because of a personal choice about how you live your life could be quite hurtful to some people. It's a horrible accusation to make.

We also have to think about how his posts might be affecting gay Catholic readers of the phorum. Orthodox gay Catholics do exist, and they lead celibate lives because this is what their faith impels them to do. Revisit SCG's posts and imagine how some of the accusations in them might feel to you if you were an orthodox practising Catholic who also happens to be gay. There is a lack of charity here, but it's going two ways.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1322494712' post='2341601']
I agree that some of the posts directed at SCG have been harsh (although I do think that he needs to address what appears to be an unhealthy obsession with sexuality, and I don't say that in an unkind way - we all have our problems to deal with). But there is another worry here as well: SCG himself is being uncharitable. There are many celibate people on this board - priests, religious sisters, laypeople like me - and it isn't pleasant to have SCG suggesting that we're all latent paedophiles. Child abuse is a terrible thing, and having a stranger insist that you are likely to harm a child because of a personal choice about how you live your life could be quite hurtful to some people. It's a horrible accusation to make.

We also have to think about how his posts might be affecting gay Catholic readers of the phorum. Orthodox gay Catholics do exist, and they lead celibate lives because this is what their faith impels them to do. Revisit SCG's posts and imagine how some of the accusations in them might feel to you if you were an orthodox practising Catholic who also happens to be gay. There is a lack of charity here, but it's going two ways.
[/quote]

I agree. I thought this thread had been done to death but this is a good point. I am a celibate too and have no desire or interest in either SSA or pedophilia. What sexual energies I do have are happily channeled in a variety of ways and wonder why there has to be such an emphasis on this one aspect of being a human being when we are so much more than just our physical appetites.

And as for those here who do suffer from SSA, I am sure they don't want or need to hear that they are also 'closet pedophiles'. Their Cross is already hard enough to bear without that slur being added on top of it.

Maybe we could just let this thread die off?

southern california guy

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1322494712' post='2341601']

[/quote]

I disagree I was merely asking the question. Obviously not everybody is a latent paedophile. I am sure that this subject would upset all homosexuals who visit this phorum. So what? I think that there is a problem when you handle subjects like homosexuality with such kid gloves that you don't allow yourself to consider potential problems connected with homosexuals entering the priesthood. This is a religion -- it is about morality. And moral guidelines will always offend people who don't adhere to those guidelines.