An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favourite Saints

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Who is your favourite Saint? :) is there one (or more..) that you find particularly encouraging/helpful with your vocation? :)

(but I can't choose just one :) I don't want to leave out anyone!).

I love St Therese though I don't know if I could relate to her vocation-wise. She is wonderful though and a great friend. I love her "little way" and her book also. :)

I also love St Faustina and how she teaches us to trust God.

St Gemma is soo inspiring.. I have her biography and whenever I read it, I feel humbled because she lived such a holy life but it also makes me want to love God much more than I do. Same with St Rose of Lima.

St Anastasia - an early Church martyr :) Anastasia is my confirmation name. I loved reading about her life.

St Louis de Montfort - "True Devotion to Mary" is an amazing book!!

St Philomena... she is a very powerful intercessor, and her story is amazing!!! I recommend the book "St Philomena, the Wonder Worker" to Fr Paul O'Sullivan to everyone :D

St Bernadette because of her humility and how she accepted all the suffering God allowed in her life, that is so inspiring.

St Joseph of Cupertino because of his humility and simplicity, and he must have helped me on many tests while I was a student ;)

Also, St John Vianney, St Padre Pio, St Francis and St Clare are all very special to me... St Padre Pio is kind of like a spiritual father. I love reading his quotes too. St John Vianney, he's helped me many times, and his story is also incredible. I wish I could have met him in this life. St Francis and his love for the poor. St Clare was very courageous :) and St Rita!!

[b]there are so many Saints! [/b]

[b]okay I'm done lol. Your turn :) [/b]

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Clare~Therese

I like St. Therese because...I'm not sure why. I just relate to her for some reason. Sometimes I call her my little stalker. One of my favorite quotes from her is, "My way is all confidence and love!" and I'm kind of lacking in the trust department these days.

St. Faustina -- because of what Jesus told her to tell us about His Mercy. I need to reread her [i]Diary[/i] sometime. I just find her courage and such inspiring, and her trust in God.

St. Anthony, St. Francis, St. Clare, and St. Padre Pio, Blessed Marie Celine of the Presentation, Blessed Claudio Granzotto, etc. -- because of their love for Lady Poverty, which comes from loving our Lord, and their intercession (which totally rocks).

Blessed John Paul II -- Right now I'm doing a report for US History class about his visits to America and their effects. When I read some of the stuff he's said/written it really effects me emotionally and make me want to be holier and love God and all that good stuff.

There's a lot more but I can't think of anything else to type up right now.

[b]St Elizabeth (Mary's cousin)[/b]
"Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

[b]St Peter[/b]
"You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God."
"Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."

[b]St Mary Magdalene[/b]
"Rabboni!"
"I have seen the Lord."

[b]The unnamed woman with the alabaster jar[/b]
"She has been forgiven much because she has loved much."

[b]The unnamed thief on the cross[/b]
"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

[b]St Bernadette of Lourdes[/b]
"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me, a poor sinner. A poor sinner."

[b]Blessed Charles de Foucauld[/b]
"The one thing we owe absolutely to God is never to be afraid of anything."

[b]St Maximilian Kolbe[/b]
"The real conflict is the inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the hetacombs of extermination camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?"

[b][color=#000000][font=georgia]Blessed Damian of Molokai[/font][/color][/b]
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends." (Inscribed on his tombstone.)

[b]St John of the Cross[/b]
"Seeking my Love
I will head for the mountains and for watersides,
I will not gather flowers,
nor fear wild beasts;
I will go beyond strong men and frontiers."

[b]Blessed Maryam Baouardy[/b]
"In heaven, the most beautiful souls are those that have sinned the most and repented. But they have made use of their miseries like manure around the base of the tree."

NovemberFourth

If I had to pick just one? Impossible!

Otherwise.
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Saint Michael the Archangel
Saint Jude Thaddeus

I have quite a few causes for canonisation and Blesseds I pray to fairly regularly too.
John Bradburne
Mother Teresa
Titus Brandsma
Blessed Bartolo Longo

:)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Here's my list, I'm sure I will forget a lot, though.

St. Therese (my Confirmation saint) I actually can relate to her in some ways, more than I thought I could.
St. Anthony of Padua (my main man other than God :))
St. Rose of Lima (I wish I was more like her, all the time...)
St. Teresa of Avila (she seriously inspires me)
St. Maria Goretti (she is a wonder-worker in my life, for real)
St. Benedict (one of the best intercessors ever)
The BVM!! Amazing. Period.

I love threads like these! I have SEVERAL saints who I am very fond of:

First of all, I don't think the Blessed Virgin Mary doesn't need any mention because she is SO much more than a saint! She is one of a kind. I consecrated myself to her and I entrust myself to her daily. ;)

[b]St. Elizabeth of the Visitation[/b] -- who first said "Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb" to Mary.

[b]St. Elizabeth of Hungary[/b] -- a saint who was both a royal and full of charity; I LOVE her! She REALLY inspires me!

[b]St. Faustina[/b] -- because mercy is a recurring theme in my discernment; Jesus choose her to receive His messages because she was humble

[b]St. Therese of Lisieux [/b]-- because she is the FIRST saint I learned about after my reversion and her story drew me to discern religious life

[b]St. Paul, the Apostle [/b]-- I LOVE anything from his letters; he has such a way with words that stirs my heart and makes me think

[b]St. John the Beloved[/b] -- he was the only apostle standing with Mary and Mary Magdalene at the foot of the cross AND because Jesus entrusted Mary to him

[b]Poor St. Joseph[/b] -- I feel so bad for him because he is often neglected, but he is a MAJOR saint since he was Jesus' foster father

[b]St. Rose of Lima[/b] -- she marred her beauty so that she would not receive compliments

[b]Bl. John Paul[/b] -- a saint for our times; I love how beautifully he spoke about vocations in the Church

I'm sure I forgot several, but these are my favorites! :love:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

MarysLittleFlower

oh no! i forgot St Joseph! He has helped me greatly.. and also I forgot St Michael and St Mary Magdalane, and St John the Apostle. Also St John of the Cross!!

The BVM as Our Lady of Fatima and Our Lady of Lourdes, then St Michael the Archangel, St Benedict, St Dymphna, St Gertrude and the St Therese of Lisieux are the primary ones. To a lessor degree St Gemma and Mother Mary of St Peter [Tyburn foundress] who one day will be a Saint.

St Edith Stein (Teresa Benedicta of the Cross) - My Confirmation saint. I loved that she was able to balance her intellectual side with a call to religious life!
St Thomas Aquinas- He's an inspiration since his parents were very difficult about his vocation to the Dominicans and again a big intellectual (that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface but still). He is also one of my test "buddies", I ask him to pray for me before all my tests.
St Joseph of Cupertino- My test buddy. There is a beautiful prayer asking for his intercession before Exams.
St Catherine of Sienna - I've always admired her bravery (telling the Pope to go back to Rome!!).

Not really a saint but I have a devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. She has worked wonders for me!

InPersonaChriste

[b]Margaret of Scotland[/b]- She is my patroness, and I found her only by God's grace, I love Saint Margaret for her spirit of poverty and for her true motherhood. She is a wonderful saint.

[b]Saint Augustine[/b]- Amazing writings and a personal favorite. He is a true example of God's mercy and how even the weakest of men spiritually can choose to do good. :)

[b]Santa Teresa de Los Andes[/b]- The only Carmelite saint I have ever truly loved. I usually find Carmelites to be a bit too romantic for me, but Teresa even though she was very in love seemed to stick on me like glue. She is a very wonderful saint!

[b]Saint Scholastica[/b]- one word: amesome

[b]Saint Clare of Assisi[/b]- I really love saint Clare, she is a very powerful and beautiful woman.

[b]Saint Gianna Beretta Molla- [/b]She was actually my first choice for confirmation. She loved clothes and babies and being a doctor, and she is such a beautiful testimony to the sanctity of human life.

[b]Saint Bernard[/b]- Definitely the best quotes I have ever read :)

[b]Saint Francois de Sales[/b]- A powerful saint indeed, he keeps me thinking haha

[b]Saint Josemaria Escriva[/b]- Wonderful reminders in his books. I feel blessed to go to some Opus Dei activities and groups close to where I live.

There are some of my favorite saints.