An Old School Catholic Message Board

Throwing It All Out There

InPersonaChriste

So, could we start the mother's/grandmothers group? Or how about the "what if" group? Just kidding, of course. But it's nice to know there are others here on VS who have been/are in the same situation/s.

[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1321392964' post='2336631']
So, could we start the mother's/grandmothers group? Or how about the "what if" group? Just kidding, of course. But it's nice to know there are others here on VS who have been/are in the same situation/s.
[/quote]
I think its important to remember that we are all called by God. Some to be priests, brothers, or sisters. Some to single life. And some to married life. But we are all called. We just have to listen with the ear of our hearts (as St. Benedict says)

blessings to you all, linnie

AccountDeleted

IPC - I think you make a really good point. One of the things my SD told me when I asked him about resuming discernment for religious life was that he wants me to focus on living my daily life first, and that the discernment would have to be in addition to my 'real life'. I think what he was trying to get at was that I need to keep my life balanced.

I know that sometimes as humans we focus on a desire, sometimes to the exclusion of everything else. We've probably all known of women (or men too I guess) who seem obsessed with getting married. All they can think about or talk about is finding 'Mr/Miss Right' and they come across as a little desperate. This can be done with anything in life - obsessed fans of rock stars leap to mind. Obsession cause an imbalance in our lives.

I ask myself, how is this different from commitment and perseverence? What about dedication and endurance? What about the saints who often seemed obsessed with the things of God? When we try to be 'balanced', do we lose some of the 'fire' or passion of our love for God? I don't think so. Because the fire and passion of the saints was one that didn't interfere with their ability to live their daily lives - and their commitment to virtue. And sometimes, they had to wait to fulfill their desires, just like we do. And they did their waiting with patience and humility.

Sometimes I wonder if I have turned into a 'perpetual discerner' - a person who refuses to stop chasing something that is simply beyond their grasp. But when I try to imagine myself giving up all thought of discernment, there is such a pain in my heart that I feel like Jeremiah and 'the burning in my heart is too great'.

But IPC, your point is well made. Whether we choose to discern religious life, or a career or marriage or whatever our heart's desire is, we still need to live in this day to day world as disciples of Christ. Thanks for the great post.

Queen'sDaughter

Such a good topic! It is always helpful to receive a reminder that we are to seek God's Will in all stages of our lives. So often it is tempting to fall into the mindset that since we want it, it must be God's Will!

InPersonaChriste

I am not stressing about it anymore, I think that was the hugest thing for me. Cause in discernment and being in a country with thin to none religious and trying to discern is difficult. But I think that I just "threw it all out" into God's hands.

I feel Blessed :)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement.

MarysLittleFlower

I completely agree with you! I've made this mistake and focused so much on discerning that I 'forgot' to try and live fully for God now and do my current duties for Him. Good thread! :)

i<3franciscans

I know where you are coming from. Last year all I could do was look ahead. This summer a lot changed and I realized how much I must have missed out on living in the present moment. I have come to realized how true the statement, "Everyday is a gift really is." I missed so many of them. Now I am so happy to live in the present moment, love [i]every[/i] moment, and patiently await the moment when I finally enter religious life. :)

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1321308935' post='2336298']

Yes I agree with most of this. In my case I was a convert dating a converting and I wanted nothing more than to marry him and raise a family of good Catholic children. God had other plans which, with His perfect timing, He revealed to me just as was about to get engaged. I was absolutely, 100% sure that marriage and children were my vocation. I was wrong but I think it was [i]because[/i] I has seriously discerned both single life and lay consecrated life that I was able to be completely sure I was called to religious life. You cannot know what you are giving up until you have experienced it. This is why I worry when I heat 12yr olds claiming to be sure of their vocation - I would hate to see them turn away the man who could make them happy just because they are dead set on religious life.
[/quote]

I'm 12 y.o. and have a feeling God wants me to be a Sister, but I am always open. I have a few guy friends, and when I'm older there is no way that because I think God's will for me is to be a Sister that I'm not going out on a date. No way. Honestly, I want to have a good husband and a lot of children, but if God doesn't want that, then I won't do it. I want to be as much in union with our Lord on earth as I can, and if that is how, then I will happily do it. Also, I'm not dead positive that that is God's will for my life, so I pray every day for a while and I listen to hear what God want's me to do. I think and pray about it, but I feel it is unhealthy and I'm a little to busy to spend all of my time and miss happy years of my life sitting there just thinking about it. :)

Edited by i<3LSOP

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1321547187' post='2337440']

I'm 12 y.o. and have a feeling God wants me to be a Sister, but I am always open. I have a few guy friends, and when I'm older there is no way that because I think God's will for me is to be a Sister that I'm not going out on a date. No way. Honestly, I want to have a good husband and a lot of children, but if God doesn't want that, then I won't do it. I want to be as much in union with our Lord on earth as I can, and if that is how, then I will happily do it. Also, I'm not dead positive that that is God's will for my life, so I pray every day for a while and I listen to hear what God want's me to do. I think and pray about it, but I feel it is unhealthy and I'm a little to busy to spend all of my time and miss happy years of my life sitting there just thinking about it. :)
[/quote]

Sounds like you've got it sorted, i<3. Wish I had some of your balance ;)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1321547187' post='2337440']

[/quote]
I agree so much with this.