An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Eventful Month

savvy

A lot of things have happened this month. My college agreed to come up with a payment plan to pay my fees, in my last semester, because I was thinking of dropping out and working full-time. Thanks for the prayers people.

The vocation director read my evalution form and got back to me. She said we would have to make our visits more frequent so I could get to know the community better and vice versa.

At home, my mother is supportive. Nobody else knows as yet, but she still worries. Mum worries about how I would cope with such an active community, since I am laid-back, and since I been quite spoilt, she worries about whether I would be able to live the life. She keeps saying. "They'll send you back" LOL.

I have tired to reassure her that my vocation is not in her hands, that if God wants me to this, he'll make a way and that that I can do a lot more than she gives me credit for.

I don't want to tell her my views on religious life. That would freak her out even more.

I have come to realize that a religious vocation is like stepping out of your comfort zone, walking on water (i.e. doing the impossible) with complete faith and trust in God, not knowing what is going to happen next. There is no map. The surest way to fail is to rely on one's own strength. I think this is the reason why many vocations fail.

Edited by savvy

Aw, it sounds like it has been very productive! Prayers that things with you and your mum work out. I know you'll be fine! :)

Not only is religious life kind of like stepping out of your comfort zone, but life in general. I've found that if I feel comfortable, I'm not growing. And if I'm not growing, I stagnate. So I step out in faith and give it my best.

MargaretTeresa

If you don't mind me asking, what type of community are you discerning with? Poor Clare, Carmel, etc? Just curious. You don't have to answer. :)

[quote]Not only is religious life kind of like stepping out of your comfort zone, but life in general. I've found that if I feel comfortable, I'm not growing. And if I'm not growing, I stagnate. So I step out in faith and give it my best. [/quote]

Yes, this is true, but I have realized that every time, I planned things, vocation wise, it didn't go well. When I decided to put the map away and forget about it, God really started working.

I am not saying everybody should do this. It was just something that kept happening to me.

Edited by savvy

[quote]If you don't mind me asking, what type of community are you discerning with? Poor Clare, Carmel, etc? Just curious. You don't have to answer. :)[/quote]

I am discerning with the Salesians (Daughters of Mary, Help of Christians)

i<3franciscans

Try hinting at how wonderful the sisters are. If she falls in love with them as a community, she will want you to be with them. I am slowly doing this with my mother and so far it is going well. :)

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1323299469' post='2346870']

I am discerning with the Salesians (Daughters of Mary, Help of Christians)
[/quote]

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! That's what I figured by your pic! This is too funny! I am drawn to the Salesians too! :) This is just so weird, some of our likenesses!

[quote]Try hinting at how wonderful the sisters are. If she falls in love with them as a community, she will want you to be with them. I am slowly doing this with my mother and so far it is going well. :)[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan :)

[quote]MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! That's what I figured by your pic! This is too funny! I am drawn to the Salesians too! :) This is just so weird, some of our likenesses! [/quote]

Yes. I just came across your wonderful blog. :dancer2:

Have you been to visit them as yet?

What draws you to the Salesians?

Edited by savvy

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1323307441' post='2347000']

Yes. I just came across your wonderful blog. :dancer2:

Have you been to visit them as yet?

What draws you to the Salesians?
[/quote]

I visited them on a nun run I did in New Orleans and St Colleen actually drove up from New Orleans and we had lunch.
What draws me to them, you ask?
Their charism. And just how happy they are and how fun. Also, as I was telling my friend earlier:

I think part of the thing that really draws me to the Salesians is that they are very much abt instilling good values into young people. They want to prevent bad decisions that do many make today. I was told this stuff when I was younger - don't do drugs, don't drink, etc. but it didn't really stick. I want to be there to show kids that how they were raised or what they have done in the past. Yes, it might have been wrong and they shouldn't do it again but they can become so amesome and great. That's what Jesus teaches us - he is there to comfort and help and heal us after the things we've done. He might be disappointed in us, but he forgives us and loves us unconditionally.

[quote]I visited them on a nun run I did in New Orleans and St Colleen actually drove up from New Orleans and we had lunch.
What draws me to them, you ask?
Their charism. And just how happy they are and how fun. Also, as I was telling my friend earlier:

I think part of the thing that really draws me to the Salesians is that they are very much abt instilling good values into young people. They want to prevent bad decisions that do many make today. I was told this stuff when I was younger - don't do drugs, don't drink, etc. but it didn't really stick. I want to be there to show kids that how they were raised or what they have done in the past. Yes, it might have been wrong and they shouldn't do it again but they can become so amesome and great. That's what Jesus teaches us - he is there to comfort and help and heal us after the things we've done. He might be disappointed in us, but he forgives us and loves us unconditionally. [/quote]

I am discerning with the Salesians in Canada. I was drawn to their family spirit and joyfulness, and youth ministry. I help out with Lifeteen at my parish, and have been doing so for a couple of years now. I also like their system of education: Religion, Reason, and Loving Kindness.

They are great mentors. Too many people as you say, focus on "though shall not's" with youth. They really get to the root cause of their issues. I don't recall who said this, but "People don't care, how much you know, until they know how much you care"

I saw the recent Don Bosco movie and totally fell in love with the charism.