An Old School Catholic Message Board

Friends Of Carmel J M J

Chiquitunga

Praised be Jesus Christ! Found this recently, a site of the Friends of the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph in Elysburg, PA - [url="http://www.friendsofcarmeljmj.org/"]http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/[/url]

And here's a [url="http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/enter/?p=69"]little post[/url] on InTheArmsofTheLord's clothing :nunpray: Praise the Lord!

[left]How wonderful! Not going to lie, though, when I opened up the article about In_the_arms_of_the_Lord's clothing, my first thought was "wow! she looks so much like St. Therese!!!"[/left][left]:doh:[/left]

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1323391790' post='2347606']
[left]How wonderful! Not going to lie, though, when I opened up the article about In_the_arms_of_the_Lord's clothing, my first thought was "wow! she looks so much like St. Therese!!!"[/left][left] :doh:[/left]
[/quote]

rotfl

AccountDeleted

[left]How wonderful! Not going to lie, though, when I opened up the article about In_the_arms_of_the_Lord's clothing, my first thought was "wow! she looks so much like St. Therese!!!"[/left][left] :doh:[/left]

[/quote]

Yeah, I was looking for a photo of the clothing ceremony too! :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1323398286' post='2347691']
I later realized they probably don't allow pictures, but it caught me by surprise!
[/quote]

Yes, you are correct. I was friends with [b]In The Arms of the Lord[/b] before she entered and she told me that no one aside from her family was allowed to see photos of her clothing. And the family was not allowed to share them with friends. Elysburg is very traditional and private. When they had their open house before the Bishop sealed the cloister, the pictures were never of the nuns' faces. It was always of their backs or the side -- never full-on frontal view. I think it is really nice that they keep this tradition. ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[left]How wonderful! Not going to lie, though, when I opened up the article about In_the_arms_of_the_Lord's clothing, my first thought was "wow! she looks so much like St. Therese!!!" :doh:[/quote][/left]

That is so cute! :hehe: I do things like that all the time! :proud:

• 1 year later...
Chiquitunga

Wow, new site for them - http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/ and they are planning to build a new monastery!! :eek: (not meaning that in a negative way, just surprised way) it will be interesting to learn why when they add that to the site... maybe their current monastery is having problems. the plans do look very beautiful, much like many of St. Teresa's foundations with the rectangular front of the church

OnlySunshine

Wow, new site for them - http://friendsofcarmeljmj.org/ and they are planning to build a new monastery!! :eek: (not meaning that in a negative way, just surprised way) it will be interesting to learn why when they add that to the site... maybe their current monastery is having problems. the plans do look very beautiful, much like many of St. Teresa's foundations with the rectangular front of the church

I'm not really surprised, in a sense.  The Elysburg monastery was formerly inhabited by the current Danville, PA Carmelite nuns who live in a nursing home for religious Sisters.  It's my understanding that they had to update it with grilles and turns to make it like the monastery in Lincoln, NE.  Hopefully, building a new monastery will help them live life according to the Teresian Constitutions.  :)

petitpèlerin

Danville, PA. Best cheeseburger I ever had. Just sayin'. Some things you never forget. ;)

Chiquitunga

I'm not really surprised, in a sense.  The Elysburg monastery was formerly inhabited by the current Danville, PA Carmelite nuns who live in a nursing home for religious Sisters.  It's my understanding that they had to update it with grilles and turns to make it like the monastery in Lincoln, NE.  Hopefully, building a new monastery will help them live life according to the Teresian Constitutions.  :)

Yep, that is true, although from what I observed when I visited there, they've been able to put in the double grilles and turns and everything successfully. The monastery was completed in 1961 so it was made for a community under the original Constitutions (at that time it would have been the ones from 1926 which were updated from the 1581 Alcala Constitutions, as the 1990s are) 

Still some things different about the Elysburg monastery would be that the Nuns' Choir was built behind the main altar, as many French US Carmels are. In (as far as I know, all) Spanish Carmels, the Nuns' Choir is on the side, as Valparaiso is. They (Elysburg) currently use two choirs, the side one for Mass (which was originally a sacristy area from what I understand, years ago, and it is small) and the large choir behind the main altar for the Divine Office and Mental prayer. 

Probably that, combined with other problems in the building perhaps, plus having a more Spanish monastery, was the reason. I was still surprised though :proud: I thought they might reconstruct the chapel perhaps to look more Spanish, but didn't think they'd build a new monastery. Of course a monastery is for many years to come, so it is not just for them but an investment in the future as well. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I wonder how the foundation in Canyon, CA is coming along with their plans for a new monastery too. 

OnlySunshine

Yep, that is true, although from what I observed when I visited there, they've been able to put in the double grilles and turns and everything successfully. The monastery was completed in 1961 so it was made for a community under the original Constitutions (at that time it would have been the ones from 1926 which were updated from the 1581 Alcala Constitutions, as the 1990s are) 

Still some things different about the Elysburg monastery would be that the Nuns' Choir was built behind the main altar, as many French US Carmels are. In (as far as I know, all) Spanish Carmels, the Nuns' Choir is on the side, as Valparaiso is. They (Elysburg) currently use two choirs, the side one for Mass (which was originally a sacristy area from what I understand, years ago, and it is small) and the large choir behind the main altar for the Divine Office and Mental prayer. 

Probably that, combined with other problems in the building perhaps, plus having a more Spanish monastery, was the reason. I was still surprised though :proud: I thought they might reconstruct the chapel perhaps to look more Spanish, but didn't think they'd build a new monastery. Of course a monastery is for many years to come, so it is not just for them but an investment in the future as well. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I wonder how the foundation in Canyon, CA is coming along with their plans for a new monastery too. 

I wonder if they are outgrowing their current monastery?  I know Lincoln had a surge of Carmelite nuns that spilled over the 21 nuns allowed by St. Teresa.  I would love if that was the reason because it means more and more women are answering the called to cloistered life!  Whatever the reason, I'm sure they are not taking this decision lightly.  ;)

Chiquitunga

Okay, just learned the current monastery has need of a lot of repair, which would have been pretty expensive in itself. So yeah (or yes! monastery manners blush.gif) building a new monastery seems like the best way to go! :like: I think it's great! Again, it really resembles some of St. Teresa's foundations/other Carmels in Spain http://carmelite-book-studies--foundations.blogspot.com/

Regarding their numbers, in an article here on different contemplative communities in the Harrisburg Diocese (great article, btw) it says there are currently 11 nuns - 7 professed and 4 novices, but they're expecting a few entrances this Summer :)