An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel Of Erie, Pa - Loves 'mature' Vocations!

St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi

About the email, I used the email on the website but that goes to someone who collects and prints it off for the sisters. A few days after I mailed my first inquiry letter, I got a call from the nuns and we spoke by phone at least once every week or every other week until I visited and now after my visit too.

So if you don't mind another maybe reading your letter (of course they may not!) you can use the email. Otherwise snail mail or call them. Sr. Maureen (the nun with the flowers on her head in the picture with Mother Emmanuel) is so sweet, outgoing, funny and warm! She is the turn sister, does the books and many other things - as they are small in numbers. Often her, Mother Emmanuel and I would have a 3 way conversation for a half hour or so.

For anyone wanting to call, the best hours to call that they gave me - hours of work so you won't call during prayer/Divine Office hours are:

9-9:00 am
1-2:00 pm
3-4:30 pm

Now, this is in THEIR time zone, if you live farther away and are outside their Pennsylvania time zone, adjust the hours ahead or back.

Welcome Mary Magdalen and thanks for this wonderful post! I think it's great that this Carmel is open to older vocations. Fr. Trigilio, good sign.

[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/114029496744629826527/CarmeliteNunsOfEriePA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqFycq-t5fgcA#5685840575053369570"]https://picasaweb.google.com/114029496744629826527/CarmeliteNunsOfEriePA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqFycq-t5fgcA#5685840575053369570[/url]

There is such a simplicity, beauty and peace about the cells at convents. :smile2:

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='inperpetuity' timestamp='1323907321' post='2351401']
Welcome Mary Magdalen and thanks for this wonderful post! I think it's great that this Carmel is open to older vocations. Fr. Trigilio, good sign.
[/quote]

It is a great sign. In fact, Fr. Trigilio says mass there very frequently and his mom, who is ill now, attends daily mass there and I was sitting in her seat/pew the week I was there one of the nuns told me. He knows these nuns very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Mother E and Sr. M called me from the Erie Carmel today - before they went to choir for their second Christmas vespers - to wish me a blessed Christmas, that they were always thinking about and praying for me and praying many strong and fervent novenas to St. Joseph to hurry me on my way to them! They also called to say that they wanted to tell me what I needed in the way of entrance papers (besides the baptism, confirmation, annulment papers, etc. documents). I was praying many novenas that they weren't orders that required many expensive medical exams, tests, dental, psych, etc. They were telling me that a Carmel they know has the applicants do a HIV test!

They told me I just need a letter stating (from a physical I had at least 6 months or more recent) saying I am in good health, etc. - NO lab work, x-rays like I've seen or heard about! Also they didn't mention any dental exams and they do no psych tests! So I am very excited! A wonderful Christmas present to be sure!

I am praying that EARLY 2012 is my year to follow my vocation to Carmel - finally! Sr. M joked that since the 2 visiting Carmelite sisters from the other Carmel were leaving at the end of January, St. Joseph must get a move on and send me to them!

What lovely news! I too heard from 'my' Carmel yesterday, unexpectedly, and am soooo looking forward to joining them in less than 2 weeks!

Guest hermanita

[quote name='St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi' timestamp='1324881368' post='2357606']
Mother E and Sr. M called me from the Erie Carmel today - before they went to choir for their second Christmas vespers - to wish me a blessed Christmas, that they were always thinking about and praying for me and praying many strong and fervent novenas to St. Joseph to hurry me on my way to them! They also called to say that they wanted to tell me what I needed in the way of entrance papers (besides the baptism, confirmation, annulment papers, etc. documents). I was praying many novenas that they weren't orders that required many expensive medical exams, tests, dental, psych, etc. They were telling me that a Carmel they know has the applicants do a HIV test!

They told me I just need a letter stating (from a physical I had at least 6 months or more recent) saying I am in good health, etc. - NO lab work, x-rays like I've seen or heard about! Also they didn't mention any dental exams and they do no psych tests! So I am very excited! A wonderful Christmas present to be sure!

I am praying that EARLY 2012 is my year to follow my vocation to Carmel - finally! Sr. M joked that since the 2 visiting Carmelite sisters from the other Carmel were leaving at the end of January, St. Joseph must get a move on and send me to them!
[/quote]

WONDERFUL!!!!! Praying for you.

Edited by hermanita

kavalamyself

Thank you so much for posting all this information. I really like what they said about "older" vocations; they raised a very good point in using the apostles themselves as examples. I know a nurse who had been looking for a while and she is lovely. She worked so hard at her job, I dont't think any Monastery could be harder than what she had to do in her career. she's a Poor Clare now <not in this country> and she seems to be vey happy. BUt when I think of what she went through, I find it really disappointing. Good for you, thanks for making than known and I hope you end up there!!!!!!!!