An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bam.

MargaretTeresa

i<3franciscans

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1324319882' post='2353779']
You will never know 100% if God is calling you, that's why it is called an *ahem* "leap of faith"

[i]The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God. The soul has to proceed rather by unknowing than knowing. -John of the Cross[/i]

As for religious books,
Read the rules of the orders you are most drawn to,
The bible is essential,
and I really like this book called; All Shall Be Well-Jane Cavolina and Matthew Bunson
[/quote]

1. I second the "leap of faith" thing. I was fourteen when I jumped in with both feet. It was scary and I really had no support what so ever, but I would never turn back life has been so amazing since I took a "leap of faith". I still have doubtful moments, but I gave my heart to God, whether He wants to keep it for Himself or share it with someone else is His decision. So I am 100% sure that God knows what my vocation is and I will only be 100% sure when I am at final vows or married. :)

2. Right now I am reading Called By Name. Although it is directed toward young men discerning the priesthood it is great. It is 12 testimonies of 12 priests. They are really inspiring.

3. I still have not told my parents and probably won't for another year or so.

I hope this helps. :) prayer for you!

Guest hermanita

[url="http://www.religiouslife.com/fr_hard_artic.html"]http://www.religiouslife.com/fr_hard_artic.html[/url] These may be helpful. Prayers!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1324319654' post='2353773']
I have read A Right to be Merry. (I often refer to it as The Reason to be Merry.) It has helped some, so thanks. I am thinking I might have to reread it later. As in, when I get back to my copy at school. :hehe: I'm doing an online retreat just after the New Years, so this will be interesting!
Thanks for all the help, y'all.

Pax Christi vobiscum.
[/quote]

Who are you doing the online retreat with?

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1324346415' post='2354087']
Who are you doing the online retreat with?
[/quote]

Daughters and Sisters of Charity. That is if I don't kill one of these insane people I am forced to call family.

I so need to change my name.

[quote]1. How did you 100% absolutely sure know that you were meant for religious life?[/quote]

There is no flashing neon sign. I was constantly looking for one. I still do.

The most important thing is a) are you are peace with this decision, b) is this where you see yourself fully alive, c)what communities/circles make you joyful.

[quote]2. What are some good spiritual direction-ish books to read? (I'm still challenged in finding an SD and everything I read makes me want want want religious life)[/quote]

Story of a Soul. There's also a prayer book, I read with 5 min prayers call "The Miracle Hour" by Linda Schubert. It really helps.

Is there a priest you can talk you for SD?

[quote]3. How in the Sam Hill do I tell my mom without her killing me?![/quote]

If I were you, I would wait until something was finalized.

MargaretTeresa

Savvy, my priest doesn't have time to be my SD. He told me to contact Memphis. I contacted Memphis who told me to contact a sister who told me to contact someone else... and then they never got back to me. I'll try again in January, I suppose.

Little Flower

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1324319882' post='2353779']
You will never know 100% if God is calling you, that's why it is called an *ahem* "leap of faith"

[i]The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God. The soul has to proceed rather by unknowing than knowing. -John of the Cross[/i]

As for religious books,
Read the rules of the orders you are most drawn to,
The bible is essential,
and I really like this book called; All Shall Be Well-Jane Cavolina and [i][b]Matthew Bunson[/b][/i]
[/quote]

He's my dad's friend! No joke!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1324353526' post='2354174']
Savvy, my priest doesn't have time to be my SD. He told me to contact Memphis. I contacted Memphis who told me to contact a sister who told me to contact someone else... and then they never got back to me. I'll try again in January, I suppose.
[/quote]
If you know someone who has a SD you might ask them for a recommendation. My one friend has a wonderful SD and she asked him for me if he or anyone he knew are taking on new directees. I'm still waiting to hear back but I figure that is a good place to start and you probably won't get "shuffled around".

I have recommended [i]lectio divina [/i]to some of my directees. Putting yourself into a Scripture passage and meditating on it can open a lot of doors and "make the lightbulb come on" for many individuals.

[quote]Savvy, my priest doesn't have time to be my SD. He told me to contact Memphis. I contacted Memphis who told me to contact a sister who told me to contact someone else... and then they never got back to me. I'll try again in January, I suppose. [/quote]

A sister I know recommended a priest, because she said, "he wouldn't be biased". LOL

Strictlyinkblot

I know its pricey and not a substitute for a spiritual director but the Benedictine nuns in Hendred offer on line retreats www.onlineretreats.org

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

[b]1. How did you 100% absolutely sure know that you were meant for religious life?[/b]
To tell you the truth I don't know 100% for sure that I am called to religious life. As many folks have already said you won't know till final vows. I know that right now my call is religious life. I know that it is RL rather than marriage because I very much appreciate the call to marriage and find it beautiful. In fact a part of me longs for it. However, I know that what would bring me the most joy is living my life and serving the Lord as a Religious. Though there are times that I am saddened when I think about not having children and not being married, I find comfort in knowing that the Lord is keeping me unattached that I may love all of His children. I am grateful to have been able to work with the Youth group and the PK3 students these past years because it affirms the fact that I am called to love in a very big and unspecific way way (hope that makes sense)

[b]2. What are some good spiritual direction-ish books to read? (I'm still challenged in finding an SD and everything I read makes me want want want religious life)[/b]
My SD recommended "introduction to the devout life" by St. Francis de Sales and it was the best recommendation ever. It opened the door to me growing in prayer and striving to live out my faith and that really helped me gain clarity as I began my discernment. I would also suggest the way of perfection.

[b]3. How in the Sam Hill do I tell my mom without her killing me?![/b]
My parents are Catholic and telling them was still hard for me, even though I knew they would be supportive. I discerned in secret for about a year before telling my sister and then the week before making my first visit (I was going to be gone for 3 weeks so they would have otherwise noticed my absence) I told both my parents real quickly (on my way out the door) Just pray about it and when you feel the time is right, tell them. I had started giving my mom some hints because I could handle it and I knew she could too. My father on the other hand I just blurted it out. You know your parents and you know how they will receive the news let the Lord show you the best way to deliver it to each of them. Don't pressure yourself too much.

You're in my prayers.

Edited by HopefulBride