An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catherine Laboure Society

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

Hi everyone

I know the Mater Ecclesiae fund for vocations only deal with student debt but what about the Catherine Laboure society? It isn't clear on the website. Anyone know? I thought I read somewhere that they used to offer help with all debt and then changed to only student loans.

Strictlyinkblot

Hmm, found the answer to my question on an older thread. Wasn't sure. Seems a pity that they only focus on student loans.

On their webpage it notes that you can discuss the possibility of getting help with things such as a dowry or health insurance stipend too.

kavalamyself

I reallllllly wish someone would help with debt, period. I think it's sort of weird to qualify the reasons. What if someone had medical bills? Is school debt somehow more "worthy"? This conversation could go on and on & I don't want to start something. just an opinion.

Strictlyinkblot

Agreed! I think there are just so many people in need that its probably easier to limit it to one group. Education debt is easier to define.

faithcecelia

I know its frustrating, but even without official organisations, God will help if you are truely showing willing yourself. In order to enter first time, I had to clear debt equivilent to 2yrs salary. I then had to leave that job and work part time due to my car dying and having no means to replace it nor alternative transport available. I set myself an extremely tight budget to live on and ploughed the rest into my debts. I would scour the shops at closing time and buy up their reduced bread and veg etc. With the exception of beans/lentils I didnt buy anything at full price, ever. One week I lived on out of date soya meal replacements that the local OOD food shop was selling at 15 for £1. When God, and people, realise how serious you are, its amazing how much help you get. For over a year I never bought my own drinks for post-Mass or post-choir sessions - it was my friends way of supporting me as they knew I couldnt have gone to the pub without their generosity. Another time someone walked into the parish office (I was secretary) and said there had been lots of 'bogof's and could I use them? And again, I had £50 slipped into my hand by an older lady at church who said she felt sure there must be something I needed. I was 100% debt free in 13mths, something that should have been completely impossible.

Stay strong, you can all do it!

Faith, that's so amazing.

I've been so worried about paying off my student loans. They're not as much as they could be, my mother has been very generous and paid about half of my costs, but still a fairly substantial amount. Sometimes I worry that they'll hold me back so much and I'll never be able to enter. At the moment I'm trying to think of it as a practice for the future: frugality has never been a strength of mine but obviously will be much more necessary if I enter and is a good thing to learn even if I don't. I'm setting myself a strict budget this year so I can hopefully have money left at the end of the year to put back into paying it off and I might start selling my sewing. I know that if I really try then God will help me.

faithcecelia

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1325437411' post='2361195']
Faith, that's so amazing.

I've been so worried about paying off my student loans. They're not as much as they could be, my mother has been very generous and paid about half of my costs, but still a fairly substantial amount. Sometimes I worry that they'll hold me back so much and I'll never be able to enter. At the moment I'm trying to think of it as a practice for the future: frugality has never been a strength of mine but obviously will be much more necessary if I enter and is a good thing to learn even if I don't. I'm setting myself a strict budget this year so I can hopefully have money left at the end of the year to put back into paying it off and I might start selling my sewing. I know that if I really try then God will help me.
[/quote]

Remember, in the UK student loans are deferred as long as you are earning under a set limit, and most communities here are happy to accept you with these due to that.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1325450093' post='2361289']
Remember, in the UK student loans are deferred as long as you are earning under a set limit, and most communities here are happy to accept you with these due to that.
[/quote]

Oh yes that's a fair point. I hadn't really thought about that. I guess it's something I'll have to discuss when I meet with NH and St. Cecilia's to see what they say. St. Cecilia's told me they have another final year uni student who's applying to enter next year and it did make me wonder about that.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1325456477' post='2361340']
Oh yes that's a fair point. I hadn't really thought about that. I guess it's something I'll have to discuss when I meet with NH and St. Cecilia's to see what they say. St. Cecilia's told me they have another final year uni student who's applying to enter next year and it did make me wonder about that.
[/quote]

St. Cecilia's, is that the one on the Isle of Wight. Its beautiful there. I did a live in about six years ago

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1325493104' post='2361578']
St. Cecilia's, is that the one on the Isle of Wight. Its beautiful there. I did a live in about six years ago
[/quote]

Yes, it is. Everyone I've mentioned it to has told me they're wonderful so I'm very excited.

I never knew that about student loans in the UK. In this dismal economy in the US, I wish that was the same practice here. By the grace of God, neither myself or my children had any student loans for university of medical school, but I know many young people who are desparately struggling to pay off staggering amounts of student loan debbt. I'm glad there are communities in the UK who are willing to accept women who do have loans.