Sarah147 Posted January 4, 2012 Posted January 4, 2012 (edited) Oops! PresIdential. Are there any good Catholic sites that compare their stances? Edited January 4, 2012 by JoyfulLife
MissyP89 Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 I like ontheissues.org. It's not Catholic, but it does state clearly what candidates have said about specific issues, with quotes and the date it was said. It also has endorsements, which are telling if you do your research.
StMichael Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 There is a Catholic candidate- Rick Santorum.
CatherineM Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 I just filled out my application for my absentee ballot. I have to sign up again every two years.
dUSt Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1325738757' post='2363173'] There is a Catholic candidate- Rick Santorum. [/quote] Actually, there are two. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 Both Gingrich and Santorum are Catholic, but personally, I don't just choose a candidate becuase they are my religion, you have to look at their views on EVERYTHING. Sorry, I am being Caption obvious again... I don't know of any good Catholic voting sites, sorry, I totally switched the topic on this thread...
Basilisa Marie Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 Just vote for Ron Paul. I don't know of any Catholic sites like that, but these let you take a quiz to find out which candidates most line up with your beliefs. [url="http://www.votesmart.org/voteeasy/"]http://www.votesmart.org/voteeasy/[/url] and [url="http://www.selectsmart.com/president/"]http://www.selectsmart.com/president/[/url] Votesmart seems to be kind of comprehensive on different levels, and is non-partisan.
Nunsense Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1325852314' post='2363907'] Just vote for Ron Paul. I don't know of any Catholic sites like that, but these let you take a quiz to find out which candidates most line up with your beliefs. [url="http://www.votesmart.org/voteeasy/"]http://www.votesmart.org/voteeasy/[/url] and [url="http://www.selectsmart.com/president/"]http://www.selectsmart.com/president/[/url] Votesmart seems to be kind of comprehensive on different levels, and is non-partisan. [/quote] I tried them both and liked them both - thanks for that. Living outside the US, I am not always in touch with the issues so I was able to read up on them and also the candidates. I also like the idea of Selectsmart offering to show not only the Presidential candidates that have announced, but any possibilities as well. It matched me with John Boehner! too bad he's not running for President! I hope I move back to the States before the deadline for changing address for voter registration, otherwise I have to do an absentee mail vote from here... I was in the States for the last election in 2008 and it would be neat to be back again for this one!
Aloysius Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 as much as I like the idea of a president who goes to Latin Mass (Santorum), it is time to stop the endless wars and both Santorum and Gingrich seem to want to escalate into another one. of course, it seems Obama wants to also, his whole restructuring he announced the other day seems to be wanting to focus on Iran, but still... I cannot in good conscience fail to stand up against the endless warmongering. Ron Paul is the only one who really believes in a foreign policy of peace. oh, and who is also willing to promote liberty and states' rights over an increasingly powerful federal system that threatens to bankrupt the nation.
Papist Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1325725230' post='2363054'] I like ontheissues.org. It's not Catholic, but it does state clearly what candidates have said about specific issues, with quotes and the date it was said. It also has endorsements, which are telling if you do your research. [/quote] I use this site the most. It is very clear. States the facts and leaves the thinking to you.
Nunsense Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1325854231' post='2363914'] as much as I like the idea of a president who goes to Latin Mass (Santorum), it is time to stop the endless wars and both Santorum and Gingrich seem to want to escalate into another one. of course, it seems Obama wants to also, his whole restructuring he announced the other day seems to be wanting to focus on Iran, but still... I cannot in good conscience fail to stand up against the endless warmongering. Ron Paul is the only one who really believes in a foreign policy of peace. oh, and who is also willing to promote liberty and states' rights over an increasingly powerful federal system that threatens to bankrupt the nation. [/quote] [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1325725230' post='2363054'] I like ontheissues.org. It's not Catholic, but it does state clearly what candidates have said about specific issues, with quotes and the date it was said. It also has endorsements, which are telling if you do your research. [/quote] Yeah, good site - thanks for that. I am getting into the race a little late since I don't live in the US and don't see or read about it all the time, but since I am going to the US in 11 days for a visit, I am feeling a little more involved and want to know who's who and what they stand for. Thanks.
havok579257 Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1325738757' post='2363173'] There is a Catholic candidate- Rick Santorum. [/quote] he is catholic but he does not support all the catholic church teachings. he supports torture and preemtive strikes according to selectsmart.com
havok579257 Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 (edited) double post Edited January 6, 2012 by havok579257
havok579257 Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 (edited) [quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1325863407' post='2363943'] he is catholic but he does not support all the catholic church teachings. he supports torture and preemtive strikes according to selectsmart.com [/quote] that is unless i am wrong and pre emptive strikes are approved by the catholic church? Edited January 6, 2012 by havok579257
Aloysius Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 (edited) no, they are not. though many attempt to make an argument that they might be justified sometimes, the just war tradition of the Church absolutely excludes the idea of a pre-emptive strike/invasion. the only type of war that is just is a defensive war. Edited January 6, 2012 by Aloysius
LovedSinner Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 Aloysius, you are making stuff up again! One is allowed to attack a country (say Iran) if the conditions of just war are met, and that includes a full-on offensive invasion, if need be. Ron Paul supports drug legalization, which would lead many into mortal sin.
Vincent Vega Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='LovedSinner' timestamp='1325879758' post='2364038'] Aloysius, you are making stuff up again! One is allowed to attack a country (say Iran) if the conditions of just war are met, and that includes a full-on offensive invasion, if need be. Ron Paul supports drug legalization, which would lead many into mortal sin. [/quote] You're my favorite. We're gonna be friends.
4588686 Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 [quote name='LovedSinner' timestamp='1325879758' post='2364038'] Aloysius, you are making stuff up again! One is allowed to attack a country (say Iran) if the conditions of just war are met, and that includes a full-on offensive invasion, if need be. Ron Paul supports drug legalization, which would lead many into mortal sin. [/quote] I support all military action up to a full scale ground war to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear bomb. But even an elementary knowledge of international relations and conflict would make it pretty obvious that a war with Iran would immensely strain, if not break, any plain reading of the Catholic Just War Doctrine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now