An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Day Within The Walls -- Glimpse Of Cloistered Life

Sarah147

[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/a-day-within-the-walls/"]Have a look here.[/url]

I highly recommend going on retreat with the Visitation order in MA. It's the only cloister I know of that actually allows you INTO the cloister -- sleeping in their hall, eating in their dining room, sitting in their recreation room, joining them in their area of the Chapel, etc. It's great!

OnlySunshine

The Visitation Monastery in Mobile, AL allows the same. If you go on a Desert Experience, you stay in their cloister and do everything with them. :)

The Visitation in MA has you transition the first few days on a "silent retreat" where you are kept from some activities with the Sisters. After a few days they then let you in on everything -- the postulant classes, the recreation, cleaning in the kitchen, etc. It was great! I did my best chatting in the kitchen with the Sisters. :)

Edited by JoyfulLife

Oh, not anymore. That was a few years ago. I think they are lovely, but it felt too formal and I'm just not called to a full-cloister. (Nor totally active. I think I'm either called to a semi-contemplative, veiled order, or marriage.)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1325815214' post='2363743']
Oh, not anymore. That was a few years ago. I think they are lovely, but it felt too formal and I'm just not called to a full-cloister. (Nor totally active. I think I'm either called to a semi-contemplative, veiled order, or marriage.)
[/quote]

I see. It's good for folks to know that not all cloistered communities are the same either. I haven't been in a Visitation but a friend of mine lived with them for awhile. It's nice that they offer live in experiences though.

Best wishes for whatever vocation ends up being yours!

Mary's Margaret

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1325807227' post='2363630']
[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/a-day-within-the-walls/"]Have a look here.[/url]

I highly recommend going on retreat with the Visitation order in MA. It's the only cloister I know of that actually allows you INTO the cloister -- sleeping in their hall, eating in their dining room, sitting in their recreation room, joining them in their area of the Chapel, etc. It's great!
[/quote]

JoyfulLife: Are these the Visitation Sisters in Tyringham, Massachusetts?