An Old School Catholic Message Board

Petros/petra Matt 16:18 Revisited - Another Arguement

thessalonian

I am sure the protestants and Catholics have gone around and around and honed their arguments well on this one. I have a little different take I would like both sides to discuss. The claim is made by protestants that petros means stone or pebble in Greek. Yet I have done a web search and can't find any Orthodox and in particular Greek Orthodox prior to the reformation who have made this argument. Can any of you protestants show that this argument was made before the reformation by Greek Speaking or other Orthodox? I'm still looking but can't find such a case. Anyone? Anyone?

Basilisa Marie

I'm not a Protestant, but there probably wasn't any before the Reformation. As far as I know, the "rock" argument for the Papacy wasn't very big before the Reformation, but there may have been something about it during the East-West Schism. But what's your take?

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1326326034' post='2367224']
I am sure the protestants and Catholics have gone around and around and honed their arguments well on this one. I have a little different take I would like both sides to discuss. The claim is made by protestants that petros means stone or pebble in Greek. Yet I have done a web search and can't find any Orthodox and in particular Greek Orthodox prior to the reformation who have made this argument. Can any of you protestants show that this argument was made before the reformation by Greek Speaking or other Orthodox? I'm still looking but can't find such a case. Anyone? Anyone?
[/quote]

Orthodox Study Bible says St. John Chrysostom said it was "the rock of Peter's confession," but from what I've read (I think on [i]Shameless Popery[/i]), he didn't seem to see this as negating the papacy.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, as far as I know, the argument that "petros" means "small rock" and "petra" would mean "large rock" is a modern thing.

Got this link from another board. Somebody does make my point and makes it well!

[quote="HalJordan"]http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/2011/08/petros-vs-petra-non-argument.html[/quote]
great link! Everybody should read it. My point exactly!