Laudate_Dominum Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 P.S. I've only watched occasional clips of Colbert so I can't really make a serious evaluation.
Brother Adam Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 I started and stopped watching him within a couple of weeks. 90% of the time = not funny. Those who say he is conservative are nuts. He's not.
Maggyie Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 Of course is not convervative. His whole act is supposed to be a send-up of Bill O'Reilly. On a related note he is hilarious.
Oremoose Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 I enjoy his satire. He is one of those guy that you will or will not like. He always seems to make my chuckle.
ameliabedelia Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 I know the Colbert's and they are very faithful Catholics. His show is a satire and not meant to reflect what he truly believes. whether you think the show is funny or not is left up to you to decide...
Laudate_Dominum Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 [quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1326400147' post='2367805'] I know the Colbert's and they are very faithful Catholics. His show is a satire and not meant to reflect what he truly believes. whether you think the show is funny or not is left up to you to decide... [/quote] Whoa. That's razzle...
Brother Adam Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 Some of the things I have heard on his show have been very much in support immoral acts, if he is a faithful Catholic he needs to rethink his public witness.
Basilisa Marie Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 Regardless if you think he's funny, at least he takes his Catholicism very seriously, and has used his celebrity to bring important issues to light. He also regularly helps fundraise for Donors Choose, which helps classrooms get the supplies they need. Breaking character while testifying before the House Judiciary Commitee on Immigration a few years ago: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxIk_jJESo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxIk_jJESo[/url] More recently he did a bit on the New Translation, and although he made a joke about "consubstantial," his main point was that it's good that now people actually going to have to pay attention to what they're saying during mass instead of mindlessly babbling.[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1326400964' post='2367826'] Some of the things I have heard on his show have been very much in support immoral acts, if he is a faithful Catholic he needs to rethink his public witness. [/quote] What do you mean? Can you give an example?
Amppax Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1326400577' post='2367815'] Whoa. That's razzle... [/quote] Agreed.
Maximilianus Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 (edited) From what I've seem he acts cavalier towards the Faith and irreverent. I don't remember how may times he took the Lords name in vain in his Catholicism contest with Jack White, but it was enough for me to never let a guy like that teach CCD to my kids, but of course it's all satire and humor so it's okay. Edited January 12, 2012 by Maximilianus
sixpence Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 [quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1326400147' post='2367805'] I know the Colbert's and they are very faithful Catholics. His show is a satire and not meant to reflect what he truly believes. whether you think the show is funny or not is left up to you to decide... [/quote] I think its funny how this debate about the faithfulness of Colbert has gone on and on and on.... and no one had anything to go on except his satirical character and now we might FINALLY have someone with some actual first hand knowledge...
dUSt Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 Well, he's definitely Catholic, but from what I've seen, his faith is not his top priority in life. I think he's funny though.
ardillacid Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 He has a few funny moments, but not enough for me to spend half an hour of my day watching :/ At least he is funnier than Stewart ^_^
tinytherese Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 (edited) Isn't he known for supporting contraception and making dirty jokes? He and Jane Fonda flirted and kissed on at least one episode (despite that he's married to another woman.) I didn't see the whole clip, but he did once appear to make fun of the sacrament of confession. Edited January 13, 2012 by tinytherese
Oremoose Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 [quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1326400964' post='2367826'] Some of the things I have heard on his show have been very much in support immoral acts, if he is a faithful Catholic he needs to rethink his public witness. [/quote] [quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1326405954' post='2367886'] From what I've seem he acts cavalier towards the Faith and irreverent. I don't remember how may times he took the Lords name in vain in his Catholicism contest with Jack White, but it was enough for me to never let a guy like that teach CCD to my kids, but of course it's all satire and humor so it's okay. [/quote] [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1326406730' post='2367892'] Well, he's definitely Catholic, but from what I've seen, his faith is not his top priority in life. I think he's funny though. [/quote] Not to start a debate. It looks like we all are judging the man by his TV persona not him. Yes he can be slightly irreverant at times, But so were all the Blogger and Writers at the Register this past Fool's day. I do not theink one bit the Steven on screen is the Steven in the Chapel or the CCD classroom. [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1326406485' post='2367889'] I think its funny how this debate about the faithfulness of Colbert has gone on and on and on.... and no one had anything to go on except his satirical character and now we might FINALLY have someone with some actual first hand knowledge... [/quote] I agree. I say we merely state our Enjoyment or lack there of towards his Satire,
MissyP89 Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 There is a Catholic on Comedy Central who is, at least in small ways, showing people faith. It's more of the Gospel than some people will ever get. I like him. And his liturgical dance. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASYa-Wkroc[/url]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now