An Old School Catholic Message Board

Simulating Mass?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Maybe I'm just being scrupulous, but I am not sure who to ask and thought maybe I'd ask here.. I dont' know if this is the right place.

I read in Canon Law that it's a grave sin to simulate Mass...

once I picked up my Latin Mass missal and opened it to a random page and started reading it out loud in Latin.. not to pray.. I dont know why I did it. I didn't know what I was saying, though I realized it was the priest's part. Then I felt like this was irreverent towards the sacred prayers of the Mass so I stopped. (I still think this is not a good thing to do, but I didn't realize that when I started reading, only during/after). But then I looked at the English translation and it turns out I was reading the beginning of the Canon, where the priest is offering the Sacrifice to the Eternal Father! :o Did I actually "simulate" Mass? No one was listening to me read this, though my family were in the room, but they were talking. I was reading very quietly.
Anyone know? I certainly hope I did not!

thanks for any help :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

InPersonaChriste

Their was no intention of commiting this sin as far as I can see with what you have said. Therefore, with no malice intended, it is not a sin.

But if you still feel bad about it, I suggest confession and talking to a priest.

Edited by InPersonaChriste

Basilisa Marie

I think the intention behind prohibitions against simulating Mass is more geared toward situations where lay people are trying to say mass themselves, without a priest, and not toward someone merely reading the Latin in their missal. :)

LouisvilleFan

Simulating Mass means you believe to be celebrating the Mass as a priest, when in reality you are not. That's why the word "simulating" is necessary, since the reality is that no Mass is being celebrated.

However, for a layperson to read the Eucharistic Prayer in a prayerful sense seems perfectly fine and even a good thing to do. There is much beauty to admire in these prayers, not to mention gaining a greater appreciation of how the Eucharist fufills salvation history and relates to Scripture. You know you're not a priest and have no intention of acting a priest, so by all means pray the Mass :)

LouisvilleFan

Simulating Mass means you believe to be celebrating the Mass as a priest, when in reality you are not. That's why the word "simulating" is necessary, since the reality is that no Mass is being celebrated.

However, for a layperson to read the Eucharistic Prayer in a prayerful sense seems perfectly fine and even a good thing to do. There is much beauty to admire in these prayers, not to mention gaining a greater appreciation of how the Eucharist fufills salvation history and relates to Scripture. You know you're not a priest and have no intention of acting a priest, so by all means pray the Mass :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nola Seminarian

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1326433934' post='2368233']
Maybe I'm just being scrupulous, but I am not sure who to ask and thought maybe I'd ask here.. I dont' know if this is the right place.

I read in Canon Law that it's a grave sin to simulate Mass...

once I picked up my Latin Mass missal and opened it to a random page and started reading it out loud in Latin.. not to pray.. I dont know why I did it. I didn't know what I was saying, though I realized it was the priest's part. Then I felt like this was irreverent towards the sacred prayers of the Mass so I stopped. (I still think this is not a good thing to do, but I didn't realize that when I started reading, only during/after). But then I looked at the English translation and it turns out I was reading the beginning of the Canon, where the priest is offering the Sacrifice to the Eternal Father! :o Did I actually "simulate" Mass? No one was listening to me read this, though my family were in the room, but they were talking. I was reading very quietly.
Anyone know? I certainly hope I did not!

thanks for any help :)
[/quote]

from what you described, i see no intentionality there.

Nola Seminarian

plus if you were attempting to simulate the Holy Mass, i think you would have had bread, wine, a chalice, two candles, and a bunch of other paraphernalia other than a missal and reading some Latin you didn't understand.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Nola Seminarian' timestamp='1327434017' post='2374545']
plus if you were attempting to simulate the Holy Mass, i think you would have had bread, wine, a chalice, two candles, and a bunch of other paraphernalia other than a missal and reading some Latin you didn't understand.
[/quote]

And a liturgical dancer.