An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phone Call To The Franciscan Brothers Minor

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I'm going to call the Franciscan Brothers Minor tomorrow and ask them a few questions. I'm so nervous that I'm going to get anxious and not be able to utter a word. It's happened before, and I don't want it to happen again. I'm excited to talk with them, as they are one of my most favorite Communities in the whole world, but I'm still terribly nervous. I remember my phone call with Father Gabriel of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. I have no clue what happened. I had perfect speech the entire day, having talked to a good Priest about my discernment for an hour, and then calling another Friar of the C.F.R.'s in Texas, but as soon as he answered the phone I couldn't utter a word, and when I could it wasn't pretty at all. I'm so nervous that my stammer will get in the way of this phone call. I've had a few successful calls with the Vocations Director of the Salesians of Saint John Bosco, the one with the Friar I mention above, and one with a Benedictine Monk that I have just previously called, but I fear this one might be up there with Father Gabriel's. Please, pray that I speak well and get the information I need. I'll tell you guys (Or should I say girls?) all about it after the phone call.

By the way, this isn't technically a prayer request. I do intend to share my discernment once I call them, so please, don't move this to the prayer request forum.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I am in South Australia and we may be in different time zones. God bless your discernment and may you speak well and get all the information you need.
Will keep you in daily prayer ................ Barb

Mary's Margaret

If I may offer a suggestion: during the initial 'pleasantries' acknowledge your nervousness and tell whoever you're speaking with that you sometimes tend to stutter when you're nervous, that you hope it doesn't happen, but it may. I find that if a potential problem is shared, it tends to release a lot of the nervousness about it, and oddly enough, the problem often doesn't manifest.

I pray your conversation goes well.

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1327499764' post='2374963']
If I may offer a suggestion: during the initial 'pleasantries' acknowledge your nervousness and tell whoever you're speaking with that you sometimes tend to stutter when you're nervous, that you hope it doesn't happen, but it may. I find that if a potential problem is shared, it tends to release a lot of the nervousness about it, and oddly enough, the problem often doesn't manifest.

I pray your conversation goes well.
[/quote]
Good advice! Payers for your phone call!

PhuturePriest

Good news: I have had contact! I called them and gave them a message, and then Brother called me back. My speech was pretty good throughout, although he sort of noticed and asked me if I was having any problems. I explained and he understood, and that was basically all that we talked about on that issue. I asked him my two questions, and he gave me very positive answers on both: I will be allowed to continue to practice karate, and, if the economy is bad and I'm unable to afford the G.E.D. test, I will be able to take it after entering the Community if needed. He told me that they sometimes had retreats for high school boys, and I told him it might be a while until I was able to afford to go. He told me that they do missions all the time, and that if they were ever in the remote area they would find a way to see me so we could meet in person. I then told him about the Midwest Catholic Family Conference, and how many Communities go there and give out literature and information, so he wrote down the name and asked me more information about it.

I almost felt as if it was an interrogation, because he was asking me about my family, if we were devout, how often we went to Mass, when my birthday is, what my birth year is, how many people are in my family, etc. However, I felt pretty comfortable all throughout and I feel he is definitely the best Vocations Director I've ever spoken to. He really took an interest in me and didn't disregard me or treat me as unimportant because of my age. The other ones were nice, but I didn't feel very comfortable on a few of them. This one, however, went very well, and I'm glad to say it ended on a happy note. He told me that if I ever had any questions I was welcome to call them, and I told him I was definitely going to visit the Community sometime, and that was that, really. We talked about other things, but I don't think it's really important unless people ask me more about it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1327532986' post='2375388']
Who's their vd? I've obviously never contacted them about vocations seeing as I'm a girl :P
[/quote]

It was Brother Fidelis Mary.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Mary's Margaret

I'm so happy for you. Even though it may be a while until you can visit them, it's good to know you can stay in touch.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1327535702' post='2375413']
I'm so happy for you. Even though it may be a while until you can visit them, it's good to know you can stay in touch.
[/quote]

Hopefully I'll see them in August at the Conference. It would make me very happy to see them there and have them get more Vocations.

InPersonaChriste

I am so excited for you! I am pleased that you were able to have a good conversation with the vocations director.

If it makes you feel any better, I mesh words together when I am nervous, and I laugh after each sentence in class (which is stupid be ause no one can take me seriously with my impediment while debating)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1327559205' post='2375583']
I am so excited for you! I am pleased that you were able to have a good conversation with the vocations director.

If it makes you feel any better, I mesh words together when I am nervous, and I laugh after each sentence in class (which is stupid be ause no one can take me seriously with my impediment while debating)
[/quote]

Well, this can be solved by a speech teacher. I have had one since I was nine or ten, and I'm way better than I used to be. However, it seems I need a real professional that knows his stuff like the one King George the sixth had.

But thank you. I feel great, like I have accomplished some massive feet. I thank you for your support. I will pray for you.