theculturewarrior Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 How do you all feel about dating non-Catholics? I have dated one non-Catholic, and I consider it a mistake, but the said thing is, she was more "Catholic" than any of the Catholic girls I had met. Most of my Catholic friends didn't see a problem. My parish priest even told me it was no big deal. Bad advice. I think in retrospect that it is best to date only Catholics...now I just have to meet one who is "available." What say ye? To date, or not to date?
Phazzan Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 Date, mate. Here in outback Australia, there aren't too many (if any) practicing Catholic chicks. It's an unfortunate scenario, but one I must overcome and move on with my life. As long as the girl is female, a virgin (another unlikely scenario), and decent looking she will be mine, but she must be able to cook. If she can't cook, she must go, learn to cook, then she can come back and worship me. It's very complicated...
Krush2k2 Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I would date a non Catholic as long as they were a strong Christian. I was dating one for a year and a half up until a month ago-and she was also more "catholic" than any other real Catholic girl iv'e met.
tnsmittenkitten Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I dated a non Catholic, actually and ex Catholic, and while it was stressful during discernment of marriage, it was a great experience. It made me fight for the Church and made me even more solid in my beliefs. My mom was not Catholic when my parents married, but when I was 10 she converted, so there is always hope!!!
theculturewarrior Posted May 4, 2004 Author Posted May 4, 2004 (edited) But does that hope justify the risk? My prot ex was wonderful, a very strong Christian, but shouldn't we accept our bf's and gf's AS THEY ARE? Also, I can recall in retrospect, this selfish hope that she would become Catholic, not thinking of how painful that conversion would have been for her. It would have turned her against her family and friends. I'm not saying that we're not all called to be Catholic, but people need to become Catholic for God, and not for their bf's, gf's. It strikes me also, that if a girl has strong Christian beliefs, she could have strong erroneous beliefs regarding the Catholic Church. Edited May 4, 2004 by theculturewarrior
tnsmittenkitten Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 We never pushed my mom to convert, nor did we expect her to. She was loved "as is". The fact that she did convert, on her own, for God, was just an added bonus.
HomeTeamFamily Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 [quote]But does that hope justify the risk? My prot ex was wonderful, a very strong Christian, but shouldn't we accept our bf's and gf's AS THEY ARE? Also, I can recall in retrospect, this selfish hope that she would become Catholic, not thinking of how painful that conversion would have been for her. It would have turned her against her family and friends. I'm not saying that we're not all called to be Catholic, but people need to become Catholic for God, and not for their bf's, gf's. It strikes me also, that if a girl has strong Christian beliefs, she could have strong erroneous beliefs regarding the Catholic Church. [/quote] i can totally relate to the wanting the gf to become Catholic.......at the time i wanted her to become Catholic for me, not for God, and that was a serious mistake on my behalf....because now whenever i try and present truth to her, she sees it as me trying to convert her for me....and i hate that i did that to her on the other hand, i do believe that we are called to live love and truth.....so i think that not dating a non-catholic solely on that seems exclusive and it also closes off the ability of truth to spread. It seems to me that a bf/gf would be the best person to "evangelize" to their mate because they do share that relationship....as long as it is not centered on the peoplel. in response to the person having erroneous beliefs on teh Catholic Church.....what a better situation to dispel the myths no!?!? would i date a non-Catholic? if God wanted me to would it be easier to date a Catholic? probably would i close myself off to only Catholics? never just my .02
tnsmittenkitten Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 (edited) Missionary dating, aka dating with SOLE intent to convert, can be painful for both involved. However evanelizing within a relationship can be great, and bring you both closer to God and each other. [quote]would i date a non-Catholic? if God wanted me to would it be easier to date a Catholic? probably would i close myself off to only Catholics? never just my .02[/quote] I totally agree. I have dated more non-Catholics than Catholics, and of the Catholics I have dated, all but one had fallen away. The only practicing Catholic I dated was probably the worst relaionship I ever had. Was it because he was Catholic? No. But we are not guaranteed that relationships will be perfect if we only date Catholics. I have many family members who are not Catholic, and some that converted by the grace of God. The converts in my family became curious about the Church through the good examples of my Catholic family member. I would never shut myself off from the possibility of being that good example who helps a bf or husband find the Truth. Not everyone feels that way, which is ok. Just how I feel, different opinions are welcomed. Edited May 4, 2004 by tnsmittenkitten
dUSt Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I dated a non-Catholic, but didn't marry her until she converted.
toledo_jesus Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 My girlfriend was baptist and I was catholic, and neither of us were very spiritual at first...BUT then I decided I wanted to be a good Catholic and that put a lot of tension into the relationship. It was not a good time for us. Thankfully, we reconciled our beliefs. Then, she decided to convert. I was a little surprised, and I think she was too. My point is that if the faith is well represented and the other person is receptive to it, two people can get along fine and have a nice relationship. However I believe that a marriage will be at its best when both people are Catholic... What do you guys think?
M.SIGGA Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 In the past it has been easier dating Protestant girls than lukewarm Catholic girls because the Prot ones never called me "too Catholic" lol. It would be ideal to find a nice Catholic girl onfire for the Faith like I am, but as long as the person is a Christian and/or doesn't maliciously disrespect me I don't really care. I agree about the marriage situation stuff, especially because infant baptism inparticular seems to be a big fight issue in a lot of combined-religion relationships - but right now I'm having fun and I'm not looking to get married anytime soon. It's all good 'cause I love the ladies and I can't live without'em.
HomeTeamFamily Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 word up sigga....creative use of the pimp smiley too alls i know is i want my kids raised Catholic.....so whatever that means for the relationship...... and btw....i would never get into a "missionary relationship"....
Catholic_4_Life Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I have dated many non-catholics. But I grew up in Utah, and I sorta had no choice if I wanted a date for the Prom. Now a days I am in a Catholic Church dominated area, but its hard to find Catholic girls closer to my age that aren't already married. I'm 32...
Iacobus Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I would date but I wouldn't marry unless they were going to convert.
homeschoolmom Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 HS_Dad does not allow me to date anyone-- Catholic or not.
socalscout Posted May 4, 2004 Posted May 4, 2004 I dated a Jehovahs Witness once. I vowed never again after that and she was pretty hot and a sweet girl. I had not been to Mass either for about 9 years but our religious and social views were just too different. My wife was a cradle Catholic but as distant from the Church as I was. We are both now deciding which ministry to join. She will be an EM and I might be a Lector.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now