An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Contemplative Charism In Canada

Gemma

Found this while looking for something else.

Http://www.sistersofourladyspouseoftheholyspirit.com

Benedictine spirituality

Very light yellow and white habit.

Blessings,
Gemma

That's razzle dazzle! JoyfulLife should look into this order since they are non-cloistered contemplatives. They have no requirements for entrance listed on their website, so they might be open to those with health concerns. :)

Does anyone know if they are currently an Association of the Faithful, or how many of them there are?

Or where they actually are?

Their history area has not yet been filled in, and there doesn't seem to be much actual info... no diocese, etc.

Raises some red flags for me, but that's just me...

AnneLine -- I am usually leery of new communities, so I completely understand the red flags.

My advice like normal is to proceed with caution, for not everyone is called to be a founding member of a community. There are unique challenges that present themselves in a community trying to establish itself that isn't found in a community that is older (say at least 25).

I've emailed the founder. They're in Ontario. Not sure what diocese that would be. If they're wearing habits outside the house, they are likely private or public association.

If you're not flexible don't join an emerging charism.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1328051864' post='2378553']
That's razzle dazzle! JoyfulLife should look into this order since they are non-cloistered contemplatives. They have no requirements for entrance listed on their website, so they might be open to those with health concerns. :)
[/quote]

Looking at their Horarium, they aren't semi-contemplative. They don't have a ministry like spiritual retreats. Rather, it seems to be prayer and convent keep-up. I'm also leery of such new communities. Prayers please that I hear back from the two last VD's soon. They've been soooo busy! :(

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1328054941' post='2378601']
AnneLine -- I am usually leery of new communities, so I completely understand the red flags.

My advice like normal is to proceed with caution, for not everyone is called to be a founding member of a community. There are unique challenges that present themselves in a community trying to establish itself that isn't found in a community that is older (say at least 25).
[/quote]

I would say 600 years, but that's just me.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1328066718' post='2378741']
Canadians are :crazy:
[/quote]

Hmmm... should i argue this point? :unsure:

Give me Mousy Carmelite brown any day! :paperbag:

Mary's Margaret

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1328053629' post='2378587']
Does anyone know if they are currently an Association of the Faithful, or how many of them there are?

Or where they actually are?

Their history area has not yet been filled in, and there doesn't seem to be much actual info... no diocese, etc.

Raises some red flags for me, but that's just me...
[/quote]

From their contact page:
[b] Sisters of Our Lady Spouse of the Holy Spirit[/b]

[center][b]For more information, please call:[/b][/center]

[center][b]Sister Ana Maria B. Herrera[/b][/center]
[center][b]Founding Member[/b][/center]
[center][b]19309 Warden Avenue[/b][/center]
[center][b]Queensville, Ontario L0G 1R0[/b][/center]
[center][b]Tel. No. 905 -478-4264[/b][/center]
[center][b]E-mail: [/b][email="solshs3@gmail.com"][b]solsholyspirit@gmail.com[/b][/email][/center]
[center][b]Web: [/b][url="http://www.sistersofourladyspouseoftheholyspirit.com/"]www.sistersofourladyspouseoftheholyspirit[/url][/center]

Queensville is is a little village about 30 minutes from the heart of Toronto, Ontario.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1328066718' post='2378741']
Canadians are :crazy:
[/quote]

Yes, we are ... and happily so :child:

[quote name='Gemma' timestamp='1328056200' post='2378609']
If you're not flexible don't join an emerging charism.
[/quote]

I truly believe that it is a call within a call, and it isn't simply a question of flexibility. Joining a new community really requires proper discernment that many aren't aware of ... that's the rationale behind my original post.

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1328148824' post='2379352']
From their contact page:
[b] Sisters of Our Lady Spouse of the Holy Spirit[/b]

[center][b]For more information, please call:[/b][/center]

[center][b]Sister Ana Maria B. Herrera[/b][/center]
[center][b]Founding Member[/b][/center]
[center][b]19309 Warden Avenue[/b][/center]
[center][b]Queensville, Ontario L0G 1R0[/b][/center]
[center][b]Tel. No. 905 -478-4264[/b][/center]
[center][b]E-mail: [/b][email="solshs3@gmail.com"][b]solsholyspirit@gmail.com[/b][/email][/center]
[center][b]Web: [/b][url="http://www.sistersofourladyspouseoftheholyspirit.com/"]www.sistersofourladyspouseoftheholyspirit[/url][/center]

Queensville is is a little village about 30 minutes from the heart of Toronto, Ontario.

Yes, we are ... and happily so :child:
[/quote]

Mary's Margaret, thank you for highlighting the address & phone number-- either I missed it or it is new. That makes me more comfortable. (Not that I am interested for myself [my husband would miss me....] but it makes me less uncomfortable with the community.

I still would like to know more of their status, history and numbers. That info is important info for anyone interested in the community.

I'm also curious about the semi-contemplative claim - is that they have a limited ministry, or ...? Is it an occasional thing, or people come to them, or...???? Again, enquiring candidates will want to know! :)

I like CMDiaz's idea of a 'call within a call' - it takes a special gift from God to be one of the founding members of a community... because it will change/develop as it takes form. More than simple flexibility, I think.... but that is just me!

I think good discernment is vital for any vocation.... but especially with a new and/or tiny community.....

My 2 cents!

Edited by AnneLine

Canada is having a bit of a renewal in religious life. Several proposed/emerging charisms. One of our former Cloisterite hermits is becoming a diocesan hermit with his own charism. His SD is founding a new charism. I'm working with a few Canadian founders, also. There is hope.

I have a yahoo group dedicated to the Canadians: [url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catholic_vocations_canada/"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catholic_vocations_canada/[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma