An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Sisters Of St. Cecilia

i<3LSOP

Hi Pham,

I'm sure that ya'll already know about this order but, for those of you who don't I suggest checking them out... the link is below. They seem to be an avvesome order and on top of it... they are Dominicans!!! :)

[url="http://nashvilledominican.org/"]http://nashvilledominican.org/[/url]

They are lovely! When I was discerning, I couldn't help myself from contacting them even though I knew I did not have the gift to be a teacher (other than daycare, which I still struggle with). They have such a beautiful spirituality. :)

I am looking at this community very seriously. One thing I am wondering, but don't have the courage to ask, is why they have only a one year novitiate when almost every other community - even the DSMMEs, have 2.

Emma- I don't know the answer to the question, but you should not be afraid to ask questions! Vocation directors have heard much, much worse questions; I can almost guarantee it.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1328130149' post='2379100']
Emma- I don't know the answer to the question, but you should not be afraid to ask questions! Vocation directors have heard much, much worse questions; I can almost guarantee it.
[/quote]

I agree. Ask. I learned alot about my community when I asked why the formation process was so much longer than many other communities.

[quote name='Emma' timestamp='1328130061' post='2379098']
I am looking at this community very seriously. One thing I am wondering, but don't have the courage to ask, is why they have only a one year novitiate when almost every other community - even the DSMMEs, have 2.
[/quote]

They have a one-year novitiate because, when the Sisters are junior professed, the first few years are spent in study so they are still, technically, novices. Also, it is not required to have 2 years of novitiate. Canon Law only requires that formation includes the Canonical Novitiate which is spent in intense preparation of vows and studying. :)

Also, this topic was addressed previously in this forum:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/97073-only-a-one-year-novitiate/

dominicansoul

according to Canon Law:

[quote]You might have heard reference to a period of novitiate called the [b]canonical year[/b]. Canonical year refers to one of the two years of novitiate which is shaped specifically by Canons 646-653. Every religious community follows these canons in a way which is suitable to each particular community and tradition and which is approved by the Church.

The [color=#FF0000][b]non-canonical year[/b][/color] of novitiate is a second year of novitiate that is not called for by Canon Law but which most congregations have. It’s a time in which the novice is more actively engaged in ministry (apostolate). The work of the non-canonical year is still geared toward formation in the life of the community and in growing in relationship to God.

[/quote]---from the blog of Sr. Julie "A Nun's Life"

The DSMME decided one year in seclusion (canonical year) is necessary and one year working in the apostolate is necessary for the formation of their novices, so the Sisters in white veils are in those for two years. The novitiate at the DSMME actually incorporates your postulancy, your two years as a novice and your first year as a jr black veil-professed. You don't move to teh "dark side" (my term for the professed side) of the house until you spend at least one year in your black veil in the novitiate...

:love: I miss those days!!! The novitiate brings back a ton of beautiful memories for me!!!!!

[size=1]edited to give source information[/size]

Edited by dominicansoul

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='Emma' timestamp='1328130061' post='2379098']
[/quote] I once asked a novice that and she answered "We get to boss the first years around." That's all I could get out of her.

At Nashville, the sisters spend 7 years in formation.

In the Novitiate:
1 year of postulancy
1 year cloistered Novice
2 years professed "black-veils"

After four years, the sisters then move to the professed side of the house.
1 year under the first three years of temporary vows
2 years of renewed vows

Then final vows.

It's the same length as other communities, just structured a wee bit differently. Note that the sisters renew their first set of vows AFTER moving to the professed side. The life is a lot different out of the Novitiate.

I asked this question to one of the novices, and she replied that it has to do with the Sisters' belief in the power of the grace God bestows to them at first profession. She added that in this regard (one year novitiate), they are more akin to the male Dominican communities.

We (Enclosed Ignatian Sacred Heart Order in France ) did one year Postulancy, then were Clothed, and did one year Canonical, then took first vows and were given a black veil. After a year we repeated Vows for one more year and and remained in the noviciate as Junior Professed. Then we made Vows for three years, were given the scapular and were Senior Professed. after three years we made Perpetual Profession and moved out of the noviciate and into the full community.
Does anyone know of any other order that make Perpetual ( as opposed to life long) Vows? Our ( now saddly suppressed ) Order is the only one I have heard of that did this. Or are all Final Vows taken to be Perpetual by their nature?

dominicansoul

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1328140808' post='2379222']
At Nashville, the sisters spend 7 years in formation.
[/quote]

At the DSMME, its 8 years because of the added "apostolic" year for novices. Not sure if they are the only Dominican community to have 8 years of formation... i believe in cloistered Dominican communities the years of formation are shorter----6?