An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Rushing?

Kayte Postle

First I must say God bless you all! I am so thankful that the Lord has lead me here in my quest for answers.

I am currently in discernment, however I am not officially Catholic yet. Honestly speaking I've only been going to Mass (daily mass) for three months. Despite growing up in a luke-warm Methodist home I have always been drawn to the religious life, so much so that from a very early age I desperately searched for Protestant nuns. There has been a constant pull on my heart for a greater service and sacrifice to God, but I continually ignored it...well because I wasn't Catholic and didn't want to be Catholic. However the Lord in all His glory lead me to a wonderful friend who took me to my first Mass and I fell madly in love with the Church. I felt as if after searching for many years, I had finally come home. I passionately want to be Catholic and the call of religious life is now very real, present, and powerful.

....But I feel like I am rushing. I barely know anything about the Church and her teachings. How can I possibly know that I am being called? While I feel that God has been leading me down this path all my life, it still feels so fast.

What would be your advice? Do you know of any good books about vocations that might calm my restless heart?

First off welcome! Welcome to PhatMass and also Welcome Home!!
I am also a convert discerning religious life. My call came pretty early on too. About 6 months after my initial conversion (long story) but well before I became Catholic. I wasn't really sure about what being a nun/sister entailed but it was very appealing to me. Now just over 9 months since my baptism I am in serious discernment with a community.
So my advice. First focus on the RCIA process and really forming your faith life. I found the more I learned about the Church the more I was able to define my call. It was very frustrating at times. I felt stalled in my discernment because I wasn't yet Catholic. Keep in mind you only get to do RCIA once in your lifetime so treasure it. This will be a very beautiful time in your life just filled with Grace so naturally you will feel the call more strongly because you are so open to God.
In the meantime relax enjoy the trip. If you are open to God He will show you what His timing is.
Some good books to read for a new convert/discerner:
"And You are Christ's" by Fr Thomas Dubay
Anything by Scott Hahn (One of my favorites is Hail Holy Queen)
"Crossing the Threshold of Hope" by JPII (not really discernment but an amesome book)
YouCat (Youth Catechism) it is loaded with info about the Faith, plus saints quotes, and scripture passages

Also feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or want to talk/rant. I'm always open to that.

Welcome!

I just wanted to say........I wish Nunsense was here (she will be back soon, possibly 6th) she would have wonderful advice for you! Meanwhile may God Bless and keep you close to Himself.

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1328158196' post='2379459']
First I must say God bless you all! I am so thankful that the Lord has lead me here in my quest for answers.

I am currently in discernment, however I am not officially Catholic yet. Honestly speaking I've only been going to Mass (daily mass) for three months. Despite growing up in a luke-warm Methodist home I have always been drawn to the religious life, so much so that from a very early age I desperately searched for Protestant nuns. There has been a constant pull on my heart for a greater service and sacrifice to God, but I continually ignored it...well because I wasn't Catholic and didn't want to be Catholic. However the Lord in all His glory lead me to a wonderful friend who took me to my first Mass and I fell madly in love with the Church. I felt as if after searching for many years, I had finally come home. I passionately want to be Catholic and the call of religious life is now very real, present, and powerful.

....But I feel like I am rushing. I barely know anything about the Church and her teachings. How can I possibly know that I am being called? While I feel that God has been leading me down this path all my life, it still feels so fast.

What would be your advice? Do you know of any good books about vocations that might calm my restless heart?
[/quote]

Three months is a long time to be going to Daily Mass if you're not even officially Catholic! I'm impressed.

God can work in our hearts even if we are reluctant. You say you did not want to become a Catholic, yet the Lord has brought you to His Church and you have found you want to become part of that body. If you feel called to religious life then the only way you will know if you truly are called is to explore it. We can only learn so much by thinking and praying about it.

I would say first start looking into getting into an RCIA programme at the parish you've been attending. If you don't know anything about the teachings of the Church, then learn! Sounds obvious I know. Also, there are wonderful graces that come with the Sacraments that are invaluable to discernment so entering into the Church and being able to receive them will honestly help you immensely. Also, see if there are any religious communities near to you. You do not say if you are interested in a contemplative or active charism but think about the kind of spirituality or kind of works you feel called to do. As I said, the only way to know is to explore and God may surprise you. I never in a million years thought I'd consider being a contemplative, but that's where I'm at now.

God works in us to show us His path for us and perhaps this is what God has done for you, and worked through your desire for religious life to bring you to that life and to the Church. I was 8 years old when I decided to convert. I had really no idea of the differences in Christian denominations but the Lord worked in my heart and I knew that was where I had to be. Almost 13 years later and I've never looked back. Trust in God and that He is leading you to fulfilment and joy.

I will keep you in my prayers.

somethingfishy

When I was in the process of converting, I told a wonderful priest at my parish that I thought God might be calling me to religious life. He told me to spend a year or two becoming Catholic first, and that if God was calling me, he would wait for me to be ready. It was good, good advice. After entering the church, I spent two years just growing as a Catholic. Then I spent one year discerning and visiting communities (as well as working) and now I'm in the application process with a community.

I think the most important thing in both conversion and discernment is the establishment and strengthening of a regular prayer life. If you don't really pray much, it can be helpful to pick a relatively short prayer for the first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. Perhaps the Our Father, or three Hail Marys, or any prayer you like really. Once you have a routine established, once it feels natural to say a prayer in the morning and at night, you can begin to build on that. Lots of good Catholic prayers [url="http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/index.htm"]here[/url], if you're interested. If you already have an active prayer life, then congratulations on being less of a pagan than I was, and feel free to ignore the preceding paragraph.

Conversion is a difficult thing. It's not merely intellecual assent -- it's a conversion of the entire self, including the emotions and the will. There have been lots of times I've wanted to give up, quit going to Mass and just forget about it. But if you get through those moments, I can tell you it's worth it.

[quote name='somethingfishy' timestamp='1328189246' post='2379540'] I think the most important thing in both conversion and discernment is the establishment and strengthening of a regular prayer life. [/quote]

If I could double- or triple-prop this I would. Hands down the most important thing in conversion, discerning monastic/religious life, and surviving as a Christian to your last breath. Literally vital.

Guest hermanita

[b]A lesson I'm learning is the only life I have to offer to and be with God is now. Tomorrow I'll give Him tomorrow. Today he wants today from me. After all katie, hard as it is to believe, we have eternity. :cheers2: [/b]

I would also suggest offering up your restless heart in prayer. There have been times along the way when I was just so overwhelmed by how God was working in my life. At those times I would tell Him, "I can't handle these emotions right now. Please take them from me and hold onto them for me." I trusted that He would hold onto them until I was ready to take them back.
Another thing that you might want to try is making a morning offering prayer. I pray two different ones each morning. I always find that I am able to stay more focused on spiritual matters during the day as a result. If you would like I can send them to you or post them here.

This beautiful journey you are on now is all part of your preparation to fulfill God's will. If he is calling you to be a sister or a nun, he is preparing his lovely bride right at this moment through your study to become Catholic. He's leading you by the hand and you are following him, taking in all he is sharing with you. That is your discernment. Welcome home and praying for you!

SuscipeMeDomine

First of all, know that the desire to become Catholic and become a religious is completely possible. I'm an RCIA director who has watched this happen.

The best advice I can give you is to experience every moment of what is happening. Becoming Catholic is not something that happens overnight, it's a lifelong process for all of us. However much we've experienced God in our lives, there's always more.

Focus first on becoming Catholic -- on living, thinking, and feeling Catholic. Get involved in your parish and get involved with other Catholics. Take advantage of what your parish has to offer -- perhaps attend Mass during the week, attend retreats or reflection days, classes, or whatever there is. Once you enter the Church there may be ministries you could get involved with that will bring you closer to Christ and his Church. Whether or not you ultimately enter the religious life, you'll still be Catholic!

You don't have to worry too much about rushing. RCIA takes time. Discerning religious life takes time. Orders won't allow you to enter immediately. My RCIA friend was quite certain about which order and which particular monastery she wanted. They wouldn't allow her to apply until she had been Catholic for two years. (Though she visited another monastery in the same order and they would have allowed her to apply after one year.)

As far as I can tell, everyone in RCIA wants to receive the sacraments RIGHT NOW! So in that sense you'll be in the same position as the others going through the process with you. And should you enter religious life, I'm sure you'll want to profess your vows right now too. Taking time is hard, but ultimately it's a way to make the right decisions with the right background of thought and prayer.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will definitely take it all to heart.

Somethingfishy- Thank you for the link.
TheresaThoma- I'd love to pm, and hear your story and prayers.

Again I cannot say how much I appreciate everyone's advice. It is all so helpful. Thank you thank you thank you!

God call us from wherever we are to wherever he wants us to be. Walk with him gently and he'll bring you home. Every blessing.