An Old School Catholic Message Board

Our Lady Of The Rock Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

Nunsense this is wonderful news!!! Thank you for describing things so wonderfully and in so much detail. I'm glad to have you back but even happier that you will be leaving us again (I'm sure you understand what I mean). I will pray that you are able to sort things out for your return in March.

AccountDeleted

Dear All,

thank you so much for your kind words. I am very tired tonight so can't write much. My daughter came to visit me at the hotel and I had the opportunity to meet my grandson, who is one year old at the end of this month. He is a doll and made me laugh so much. He even gave me a kiss without my asking - just came very close to my face and stared at me for awhile and I wondered what he was doing - then he kissed me! :love:

My daughter was wonderful too and things look very good between us - praise God. Unfortunately when I come back she will be on base for training (she is in the army), but her husband knows Shaw Island well, as he did some work there, and they might come to visit me there. I don't know how to thank God for such mercies.

So next time I come, I will go through Frisco instead of Seattle, and will have a chance to meet up with my brother and his wife for a couple of days. I spoke with them on the phone tonight and they are very happy for me. It was good to share my experiences with them.

Anyway, my flight leaves tomorrow back to Australia, so I will be offline for awhile. Once I get back to Melbourne and am resting up at my sister's house, I should be able to get back online again. Please pray for me during the flight - you think I would get used to flying by now - but I always feel yucchy during the turbulence... I hate roller coasters too!! :P

God bless you all. :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Abbey...........I'm so happy that all went well and that you will be returning in a few weeks. Prayers for your continuing discernment :nun3: .

I am finding that I have an overwhelming desire for Nun Yarn, from Nun Sheep (or Nun Llamas, that would also be acceptable).

The Trappistines where I go on retreat have some sheep but I think the wool goes straight to be woven into blankets.

(I am not sure exactly what is considered "nuns only" and what is land open to the public. Are the sheep cloistered?)

Perhaps I should investigate at Regina Laudis as that is thousands of miles closer to me than Our Lady of the Rock.

:hijack:

Ahem. Sorry.

You are on my intentions list, nunsense. May all go extremely well until you return to Our Lady of The Rock - and after.

Guest vocation forever

I will post more in a day or two about Our Lady of the Rock, or as a friend called it, The Rock. The cluster of islands that Shaw is part of is unique in the world--I can't imagine a more beautiful location. The animals are the best! Their chapel is the nicest one I've ever been in as well.

I will always honor my vocation even though I did not become a nun.

Guest vocation forever

I did not try my vocation at OLR but I did make a series of visits to discern the possibility of entering. At first I ignored what my nervous system was telling me because I so badly wanted it to be an OK place for me. I wanted to be a nun and there can’t be a more beautiful location on the planet than Shaw Island.

Please don't pin all your hopes on this priory or give away all your stuff. Maybe things will work out for you but in my opinion the nun you mentioned as not seeming to like you is a bully.

I still remember the first time I saw her round eyes turn angry. They were very scary. It is my belief that she is an abusive person. There are other issues as well but I decided not to spell them out here.

So easy to be romantic when it comes to nuns, vocations, the elegant garments, the whole thing. Easy to explain away, "that's just how she is" and so on. Just don't get too excited prematurely or overly depressed if it turns out you don't like it there and want to leave. Exit plans aren't emphasized enough but you might want to consider having one--just in case.

All the best to you!

[quote name='vocation forever' timestamp='1328916269' post='2385206']
I did not try my vocation at OLR but I did make a series of visits to discern the possibility of entering. At first I ignored what my nervous system was telling me because I so badly wanted it to be an OK place for me. I wanted to be a nun and there can’t be a more beautiful location on the planet than Shaw Island.

Please don't pin all your hopes on this priory or give away all your stuff. Maybe things will work out for you but in my opinion the nun you mentioned as not seeming to like you is a bully.

I still remember the first time I saw her round eyes turn angry. They were very scary. It is my belief that she is an abusive person. There are other issues as well but I decided not to spell them out here.

So easy to be romantic when it comes to nuns, vocations, the elegant garments, the whole thing. Easy to explain away, "that's just how she is" and so on. Just don't get too excited prematurely or overly depressed if it turns out you don't like it there and want to leave. Exit plans aren't emphasized enough but you might want to consider having one--just in case.

All the best to you!
[/quote]

Not to criticize, but this is the kind of thing that should be written in a private message and not on a public forum. There are certain things, like opinions and feelings about certain orders, that we need to keep under control here because it could hurt future vocations. I'm sorry you had a difficult time with this monastery, but everyone experiences different things. :)

vocation forever, perhaps your thoughts would be better off in a private message? It's good that you are concerned for nunsense's wellbeing, but things get out of control so easily in a public place like this.

I see MM and I had the same thought at the same time! :hehe2:

Vocation forever:

Prudence is called for ... some things honestly should not be posted in a public forum for everyone to see. ESPECIALLY when criticizing a community.

Each person experiences a community differently. What is not a fit for one may be a fit for another -- and that I believe is true both in very healthy and wonderful communities as well as in those not-so-healthy.

Blessings and peace to you in your journey,