Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='jenzeler' timestamp='1299576315' post='2219111']
I have a huge collection of holy cards I would like to give away if anybody could use the. I don't want to sell them because they have all been blessed. Please message me if you want me to mail them. I will send them free if you are a good Catholic and promise to use them well.
[/quote]
If you live near any convents, you could give them to the Sisters. From what I hear, they LOVE holy cards. But why don't you want to keep them?

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299286613' post='2218056']
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4]"Converts and reverts to the faith are often unaware of the little things that good cradle Catholics "absorb" as children that make day-to-day Catholic living run smoother."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4]
[/size][/font][/color]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][color="#595959"][size=4]I am a convert since 87 and this has not been my experience at all. More often converts to the Catholic Church appreciate the faith[/size][/color][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][color="#595959"][size=4]and the Church more than a lot of cradle Catholics[/size][/color][/font]
[/quote]
I don't think that was what the article is about. While the converts may appreciate the "meat and potatoes" (as it were) more, they might now have been taught all of the table manners (to use a really stupid analogy).
(In other words, while converts might understand transubstantiation better than the average pew warmer, he might not know some of the less dogmatic, more customary/traditional aspects. Like knowing textbook French, but not knowing the colloquialisms and idioms.)

Debra Little
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1299609807' post='2219239']
I don't think that was what the article is about. While the converts may appreciate the "meat and potatoes" (as it were) more, they might now have been taught all of the table manners (to use a really stupid analogy).
(In other words, while converts might understand transubstantiation better than the average pew warmer, he might not know some of the less dogmatic, more customary/traditional aspects. Like knowing textbook French, but not knowing the colloquialisms and idioms.)
[/quote]

get it. thanks. i think i'd rather not bother my mind with all that stuff. just love Jesus

Posted

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299286613' post='2218056']
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4]"Converts and reverts to the faith are often unaware of the little things that good cradle Catholics "absorb" as children that make day-to-day Catholic living run smoother."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4]
[/size][/font][/color]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][color="#595959"][size=4]I am a convert since 87 and this has not been my experience at all. More often converts to the Catholic Church appreciate the faith[/size][/color][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][color="#595959"][size=4]and the Church more than a lot of cradle Catholics[/size][/color][/font]
[/quote]
i took it to mean that it's the little things....you know, the things that cradle Catholics tend to do on 'auto-pilot'? (not saying that it's wrong or right)

Posted

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299641775' post='2219395']
get it. thanks. i think i'd rather not bother my mind with all that stuff. just love Jesus
[/quote]
well, many of our saints died defending 'all that stuff' (i'm speaking of the Truths of the Faith, passed down through the centuries). unfortunately, watered down 'just love Jesus' cr[i]a[/i]p is what lead many of the young people (and their parents) not knowing the Truth of the Catholic Faith. yes, love Jesus, by all means. but also learn and know the Faith (which is inseparable from Jesus).

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1299645864' post='2219418']
well, many of our saints died defending 'all that stuff' (i'm speaking of the Truths of the Faith, passed down through the centuries). unfortunately, watered down 'just love Jesus' cr[i]a[/i]p is what lead many of the young people (and their parents) not knowing the Truth of the Catholic Faith. yes, love Jesus, by all means. but also learn and know the Faith (which is inseparable from Jesus).
[/quote]
:like:
Nobody ever went to Hell for making the sign of the cross every time he passed by a church...

Debra Little
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1299645864' post='2219418']
well, many of our saints died defending 'all that stuff' (i'm speaking of the Truths of the Faith, passed down through the centuries). unfortunately, watered down 'just love Jesus' cr[i]a[/i]p is what lead many of the young people (and their parents) not knowing the Truth of the Catholic Faith. yes, love Jesus, by all means. but also learn and know the Faith (which is inseparable from Jesus).
[/quote]



Part of the problem in learning the Truths of the Faith is that many of us (converts) our left to ourselves to learn
and figure out these things. In my class we were not taught any catechism, anything about the Church, the
Saints, nothing. We discussed the Sunday readings, that we'd just heard. This leaves us at a huge
disadvantage and we are not to blame for the irresponsibility of some people to teach us properly.
What little I know came mostly from time spent with the Carmelite Sisters and from digging and
investigating on my own, reading the lives of the Saints. Yes we each have to take responsibility
for ourselves but so does the Church need to take responsibility for teaching incoming new Catholics
properly.

Posted

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299687129' post='2219542']
Part of the problem in learning the Truths of the Faith is that many of us (converts) our left to ourselves to learn
and figure out these things. In my class we were not taught any catechism, anything about the Church, the
Saints, nothing. We discussed the Sunday readings, that we'd just heard. This leaves us at a huge
disadvantage and we are not to blame for the irresponsibility of some people to teach us properly.
What little I know came mostly from time spent with the Carmelite Sisters and from digging and
investigating on my own, reading the lives of the Saints. Yes we each have to take responsibility
for ourselves but so does the Church need to take responsibility for teaching incoming new Catholics
properly.
[/quote]
i most definitely agree.

whomever taught your class should be smacked with a big, heavy, nun ruler.

Debra Little
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1299687364' post='2219543']
i most definitely agree.

whomever taught your class should be smacked with a big, heavy, nun ruler.
[/quote]


He should have been smacked with a whole convent full of heavy nun rulers. lol.
They never should have been in charge of that class. Get this, even the
priest of that parish said he would not bless my rosary. I was learning the
rosary at the time and I was so embarrassed that I'd asked him when
he said this. He said, "I don't bless things."

Edited by Debra Little
Posted

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299687490' post='2219544']
He should have been smacked with a whole convent full of heavy nun rulers. lol.
They never should have been in charge of that class. Get this, even the
priest of that parish said he would not bless my rosary. I was learning the
rosary at the time and I was so embarrassed that I'd asked him when
he said this. He said, "I don't bless things."
[/quote]
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :blink: :crazy:

on behalf of Catholics everywhere, I am so, so, so, sorry. I hope you have been able to find a better parish.

Debra Little
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1299688928' post='2219549']
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :blink: :crazy:

on behalf of Catholics everywhere, I am so, so, so, sorry. I hope you have been able to find a better parish.
[/quote]

this was way back in 87 when i lived in a different town. too bad that had to be my first
experience with instruction in the Catholic Church. i was just very happy to be confirmed
and become a part of the Catholic Church. when i came to the Catholic Church i felt
as if i'd arrived at home, after having been to many different churches. and the thing i
love is that if i listen to the Holy Father and the Church I cannot be led wrong. i will not
be confused if i do this and i was so confused in all those all those other churches.
all the disagreements of all the different denominations was confusing and i always
wondered who is right. since 87 i have not had to be afraid of that. i am where God
wants me to be. i sincerely hope that today it is much better than it was then, and that
the modernistic practices that have come into the Church are kicked out and Holy Mother
Church returns to her former glory.

  • 2 weeks later...
Debra Little
Posted

[quote name='avemaria40' timestamp='1124897690' post='697069']
i have one that i tried this morning, although it is for the girls. say as many Hail Mary's as long as the time it takes to blowdry ur hair, put on ur makeup, etc. as a reminder that inner beauty is more important than outer beauty, b/c the Blessed Mother is beautiful b/c her inner beauty shines through. idk, i thought it would be a good one:)
[/quote]



And keep my cat out of trouble at the same time lol.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...