Brother Adam Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kl1ujzRidmU[/media] [media]http://youtu.be/kl1ujzRidmU[/media] [url="http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii"]http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii[/url]
eagle_eye222001 Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 (edited) Genius. May have missed the hard drive and motherboard though. I noticed all the shots were in one place. Screen is definitely shot though. No pun intended. Edited February 10, 2012 by eagle_eye222001
arfink Posted February 10, 2012 Posted February 10, 2012 (edited) Wasteful. Must be quite the baller if he can afford to buy his kids a laptop and then shoot it. Must be even more of a baller if he hadn't bought it for his kid and shot it anyway. EDIT: I only give my disapproval because if you want to "tough love" it you can do it without the gun. My dad knew how to disassemble a computer non-destructively. He also had/has the power to just unplug the cable modem at will. Edited February 10, 2012 by arfink
brandelynmarie Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 (edited) Her dad works for IT & she expected him [i][b]not[/b][/i] to see her FB post???? What was she thinking... Edited February 11, 2012 by brandelynmarie
Maggyie Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 How about you videotape yourself taking the laptop to the local woman's shelter to donate it. Close video with zinger, "I'm glad the expensive computer I purchased is now the hands of someone who knows what's like to TRULY have a hard life, and who will be GRATEFUL for it."
Carnanc Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 wow. I feel bad for the daughter. She may indeed have a lot to learn in life about responsibility and respect, but I worry about her relationship with her father. He never in this 8 minute video said that he loved his daughter or that he really wants whats best for her. He shouldn't be so offended in my opinion. teens are very emotional sometimes, and so she made an outburst on facebook. Maybe these thoughts would have been better shared with only herself, or a close friend, so that her father would not hear them.
Norseman82 Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 [quote name='slywakka250' timestamp='1328971261' post='2385379'] wow. I feel bad for the daughter. She may indeed have a lot to learn in life about responsibility and respect, but I worry about her relationship with her father. He never in this 8 minute video said that he loved his daughter or that he really wants whats best for her. He shouldn't be so offended in my opinion. teens are very emotional sometimes, and so she made an outburst on facebook. Maybe these thoughts would have been better shared with only herself, or a close friend, so that her father would not hear them. [/quote] What the father did was mild compared to what would have happened to people of my generation had we talked to our parents with even half the disrespect this daughter showed.
Lil Red Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 what norseman is trying to say is that he's old. (i'm kidding! i'm kidding!)
MIKolbe Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1328976650' post='2385413'] What the father did was mild compared to what would have happened to people of my generation had we talked to our parents with even half the disrespect this daughter showed. [/quote] yes.. to quote my mom, if i did anything like this, I would have been a 'grease spot on the floor' by the time she was done with me.
arfink Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 (edited) [quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1328935748' post='2385294'] Her dad works for IT & she expected him [i][b]not[/b][/i] to see her FB post???? What was she thinking... [/quote] I guess I missed this detail... he probably could have easily spared this laptop. Wasteful... More on topic, I can totally understand and even relish a good dose of old-school atavism and hard-core discipline, but I don't for a minute believe that this guy needed to do this to his daughter. I could see this approach working nicely if, for example, you were in a military academy, but not in the home. Now, I may just be a young whipper-snapper, but the parenting practices of the past few generations have produced alot of big problems in our society. Is it really any wonder to us that several generations have made a wholesale break with the good things of the past when it's personified by hard-a$$es like this guy? Discipline? Yeah, we need that. Tough love? Sure. Shooting my daughter's laptop? If you can afford it, sure. But the father who would do this kind of thing to his daughter in public is despicable in my opinion. Sure, lay into you kid if you need to. But do it at home, not on the web for everyone to see. That's gonna leave an emotional scar so deep it may never heal, especially since the internet is persistent and public. Maybe he was worried other tough guys on the web would see his daughter mouthing off publicly and think him weak for allowing it. But real men, real fathers, don't need to assert their dominance in this way. Edited February 11, 2012 by arfink
Deus te Amat Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 She's fine. She. Wants to shoot her phone, too, and sell all the casings on eBay to eventually pay for a new one. As someone who had somewhat similar punishments growing up, such things teach you a life lesson and make you stronger. I approve.
Norseman82 Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 [quote name='arfink' timestamp='1328978321' post='2385445'] But the father who would do this kind of thing to his daughter in public is despicable in my opinion. Sure, lay into you kid if you need to. But do it at home, not on the web for everyone to see. [/quote] Except that the daughter posted [i]her[/i] rant online for everyone to see.....
inunionwithrome Posted February 11, 2012 Posted February 11, 2012 I have to say that I whole heartedly agree with this parent. A lot of times after my sister and I had come back from sleepovers, we used bad language. The Carrot: "If you continue to talk this way when you come back from sleepovers, you will not go to another sleepover again." Harsh? Seemed like it at the time. Any worse for the wear: NO! We learned out lesson, and went about our business. Did we appreciate this "tough love" our mother gave us? Not all of the time. However, as an adult now, I appreciate the effort and time it took to put forth to raise us to value our work as so many of my generation do not. I am glad that I was taught to be respectful and to work hard for what I have. So, I think as many of the technology generation now, you have to find a way with words that they understand. Victory for dad! Also, a 15 almost 16 year old should be able to make their bed, put away clean dishes in the dishwasher, do some of their own laundry, and sweep floors. Cleaning lady or not. I had to wake up at 5:30 AM to catch the bus for an almost 2 hr bus ride, make sure my homework was done, make my bed, my own lunch, and other things that I was capable of doing. So, YAY DAD!
Tony Posted February 12, 2012 Posted February 12, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1328983344' post='2385474'] Except that the daughter posted [i]her[/i] rant online for everyone to see..... [/quote] a few hundred friends on FB vs 16 million + views on youtube, you're right, she posted it for everyone to see Edited February 12, 2012 by Tony
PhuturePriest Posted February 12, 2012 Posted February 12, 2012 He did the right thing. It wasn't unnecessary or cruel at all.
arfink Posted February 12, 2012 Posted February 12, 2012 (edited) If he had done all the things he did in that video but only shown them to his daughter, or even just to her facebook friends, I'd call that perfectly acceptable. It's when you're basically broadcasting this stuff that I think it crosses the line. People may not realize this, but posting something to youtube these days is equivalent to broadcasting it on TV in respect to viewership. I understand that what she did was unacceptable behavior for a child, and I'm not arguing against that view here. But I'm saying that if such a thing is unacceptable for a child to do, I would also suggest it's unacceptable for a parent to do. As an example, as a child, if I publicly embarrassed my parents at the shopping mall (as opposed to online, since I would have been too young then) I would have been quite nicely thrashed. At home. IN PRIVATE. Not in the middle of the mall. Then again, my parents are not big fans of implementing eye-for-an-eye discipline, and neither am I. Edited February 12, 2012 by arfink
BittersweetMaine Posted February 12, 2012 Posted February 12, 2012 He was the one who let her have a Facebook in the first place... I think his manner of discipline was pretty harsh, but since I don't know how his daughter behaves on a daily basis, I can't really decide if she deserved it or not. Some kids need a wake-up call like that every now and then. Perhaps she had been snotty and disrespectful in small ways previous to her rant, and that just finally made him blow up and decide that she needed taught a lesson. 8| Oh, and I'm sad that he wasted the laptop. A lot of people could have put it to better use. But I bet it wouldn't have been as much fun for him! xD
Innocent Posted February 12, 2012 Posted February 12, 2012 I'm just imagining a situation in which that girl grows up and attends a job interview after college, and one of the younger interviewers looks at her father's name on her [i]résumé[/i] and says, "This name sounds familiar.. Hey, wait, isn't your father the fellow who shot up his daughter's laptop and then posted a video of that on the internet?"
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now