An Old School Catholic Message Board

Song For A Discernment Talk

Deus te Amat

Hey all. I need your help.

I'm writing (and giving) a talk on discernment for an upcoming retreat, and need a suitible song to follow. I know lots of good songs that are particular to vocational discernment, but this talk focuses espeically on finding God's will in everyday life -- on how to follow God's call to holiness.

Any suggestions? :idontknow:

If it helps, this is the introduction:

[quote]
I don't think you guys have the theme verse memorized yet, so I'm going to read it again.
[quote][i]You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lamp stand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.[/i][/quote]
amesome. Makes you feel good, right? We, as Christians, have been given the most important function of chasing away the darkness – of comforting a scared child, of finding that which has been lost in the dark. That is AWE-SOME.
Now, unfortunately, what this passage [i]doesn't[/i] tell us is how exactly we are to do that. We are to “give light.” We are to bear witness by our “good deeds.” And these good deeds must incite the desire to glorify our heavenly Father.
If you'd ask me, that's terrifying. We, who have been given the gift of faith, are, by example, supposed to spark that gift in those we encounter, spreading God's love until it has taken over the world.
Awe inspiring, yes. But me? God wants [i]me? [/i]To do [i]this[/i]? Terrifying.
St. Catherine of Siena is famous for saying, “If you are what you should be, you'll set the whole world on FIRE.”
This is the woman who stared down the college of cardinals and won. Who convinced a Pope to leave Avignon against the will and influence of that same corrupt college. Who, by the young age of 33, had so changed and affected the lives of those around her that she would be called Saint, Doctor of the Church, Patroness of Italy and of Europe.
How did she, how did any of the saints, shine forth in the darkness so brightly that their light still casts out shadows today?
“If you [b]are[/b] what you [u]should be[/u]” –
Our end, as rational animals, heirs of Christ, uniquely created and desired, is union with God. God wants to draw us to Himself, for us to love Him BECAUSE of the incredible, intense, overwhelming love he holds for each of us.
But, love is a choice. We must freely choose to love Him, and thus, grow closer to union, grow closer to what we [u]should be[/u] by doing God's will.
And this is the root of our problem.... Well, the second root of the problem – The first is original sin – go to confession!
Anyway, the question is, how do we, we miserable, little, rationally irrational, limited creatures, how do we discern God's will?
This question is not to be asked merely with regard to nuns and priests and the married life. That is a necessary topic and will be touched in passing, but this talk is not to inspire a religious vocation, it is to teach methods of gaining knowledge, for it is only by finding and saying yes to God's will in everyday things can we come to know the answer to the “big-V” question of the rest of our lives.
I've been wrestling with this question for years. How do we know what we think God's will is actually His will? What if I'm forcing my will to be His? What if God wants [i]me[/i] to choose? Will His will really make me happy? What if it is something I really don't want to do?
[/quote]

This is what I immediately thought of. It focuses more on "light of the world," but it touches on what we're meant for/called to.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cX6SHtxeE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cX6SHtxeE[/url]

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1329274690' post='2387289']
This is what I immediately thought of. It focuses more on "light of the world," but it touches on what we're meant for/called to.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cX6SHtxeE[/media]
[/quote]

I LOVE this song! I was introduced to it by my young adult group this past month! It's BEAUTIFUL!

Lisa -- thanks. It's beautiful. I've passed it on to the leaders, but I don't think it's quite what i'm looking for.

Any other suggestions? :)

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1329282965' post='2387343']
Lisa -- thanks. It's beautiful. I've passed it on to the leaders, but I don't think it's quite what i'm looking for.

Any other suggestions? :)
[/quote]

I'll do some searching and let you know what I come up with. :)

I think this is a good song for any discerner:

[media]http://youtu.be/aX3QF6T7LOk[/media]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I heard this at a retreat I went to. I think it explains well the doubts and fears we have and how to just let go and follow God.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZU6x9pGUo[/media]