Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Crusader_4
Posted

We have a priest in our diocese who is notorious for having amazingly fast masses. Like we are talking 15 minutes to 25 minutes fast. My friend is an altar boy @ the parish and apparantly he zooms throught it soo quick. Hence we have nicknamed it the microwave mass...and he only does it one mass a week. But virtually my friend was saying he was like speed walking towards the altar and a 30 second homily and on with the mass. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

I think more time should be taken to worship our Creator.

Sojourner
Posted

My priest told us about a priest he knows/knew who smoked, and could only go half an hour or so without a cigarette, so he'd time his Mass accordingly.

Personally, I like the extra time to reflect and such when I'm at Mass ... maybe after you've said them hundreds of times you don't feel that way. I'd hope that's not the case, but who knows.

Norseman82
Posted

At my former parish, there was a priest who was able to do a Sunday mass in 32 minutes or so. He had a quick speaking style (kinda like the stereotypical drill sargeant) and didn't beat around the bush in his homilies. Of course, at early masses there aren't as many people and not a full choir.

Another time when we had a massive snowstorm the 4:30 Sat. evening mass was only about a half hour since the choir could not show up and only 20 people were able to trudge through the snow.

I guess as long as there are no liturgical abuses....

Crusader_4
Posted

Well its not even every mass....its only one mass the same time everyweek....so i dunno its kind of strange.

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

I still say that there should be more time for worship....but that's only my opinion.

Crusader_4
Posted

I think so too...but of course the mass is valid but this shouldnt b happening regularly do u think?

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

My opinion: no.


I suppose those people that go to that Mass should go to Adoration right after! ;)

Crusader_4
Posted

yes that would b true...i just dont know what to make out of it

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

I don't either...

Have you asked someone of authority in your parish about it?

crusader1234
Posted

mass before school is onky30 minutes... keep in mind theres onkyabout 10 people there for communion

Crusader_4
Posted

yes thats true.....but its still not 15. And they often rush in the morning mass i find in some ways. I like it lots though.

morostheos
Posted

are you talking Sunday Mass or daily Mass here? that makes a big difference. a lot of the times daily Mass is really short like that, although there should always be some sort of homily. if they skip the homily, that's not good, but other than that, nothing "wrong". I do think it's nicer when things are less rushed though.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

When I was in Ireland I attended a MicroMass. The people shuffled in, the priest said the Mass like an auctioneer, and the people shuffled out.

It had very little joy to it. :(

It was more like "let's fulfill our obligation and get it over with." Jesus should be praised and celebrated with more than that. :(

Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' date='May 4 2004, 09:26 PM'] At my former parish, there was a priest who was able to do a Sunday mass in 32 minutes or so. He had a quick speaking style (kinda like the stereotypical drill sargeant) and didn't beat around the bush in his homilies. [/quote]
I like those "to-the-point" homilies. They tend to really stick with me.

BAM! What the church teaches. No fluff.

Ironic that the homilies at my parish average 35 min.

Mrs. Bro. Adam
Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='May 5 2004, 12:34 AM'] Jesus should be praised and celebrated with more than that. [/quote]
Amen!

Posted

that is why I kinda like daily masses, because they only take a half an hour or 40 minutes. I've never been to a daily mass though, that didn't have a good homily. Just no music.

Crusader_4
Posted

Yea thats true i think its probably a daily mass on a sunday since he has had a mass earlier that day. Although, i am not sure if htat makes any sense.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

We had a priest here once from New York who talked so fast it was a microwave Mass... but he talked like that outside of Mass as well.
lol

We are not East coast people here in Pittsburgh... :)

Posted

Oftentimes, you can make your point in half the time, and give your message twice the power.

However, I agree that the mass in general needs to be done at a reasonably calmed-down pace. None of this speed mass, although daily mass usually is about 30 minutes anyways. Sunday mass shouldn't ever be thirty minutes, you don't get into enough of a prayerful mood.
I mean, people don't repsect the Eucharist is it is.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...