An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attention Dominicans

krissylou

I went to Ash Wednesday Mass at the first Dominican "convent" (I've never heard that term used for a residence for religious men, but that's what they use so okay ...) in the Americas.

This is where Bartolomeo de Casas lived and wrote, way back when.

That's pretty neat.

:o
1. You're in another country right now???
2. Bartalome de las Casa????
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3][quote] Bartolomé de las Casas spent 50 years of his life actively fighting slavery and the violent colonial abuse of indigenous peoples, especially by trying to convince the Spanish court to adopt a more humane policy of colonization. And although he failed to save the indigenous peoples of the Western Indies, his efforts resulted in several improvements in the legal status of the natives, and in an increased colonial focus on the ethics of colonialism. Las Casas is often seen as one of the first advocates for universal [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights"]Human Rights[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3].[/size][/font][/color][sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartolom%C3%A9_de_las_Casas#cite_note-1"][2][/url] [/quote][/sup]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]3. Did you see any Dominicans there????? Of the white-habit variety :)[/font][/color] Edited by Lisa

I was strolling down the VS and this thread sorta popped out at me....Does that mean I am going to be a dominican or does that mean that I will have a daughter who will be dominican? :|

Not sure which but if you have any pictures I'd love to see them!!!

...... nice to meet everyone btw... I've been reading and "lurking" around these parts but I don't post much. Your Dominican comment brought me out of the shadows!

:proud:

Yes, I was in Santo Domingo (in the Dominican Republic) for the first half of the week. Just got home now.

I didn't take pictures inside the chapel, I didn't know if that was okay or not (it's generally locked up and not available for tourists unless you go to Mass) although it's a very impressive chapel, but I did get several of the outside of the building.

I would have expected that this would be the daily Mass for the local Dominican (OP) community, which they also opened to the public, but no. Before Mass you could hear a bunch of men singing the morning office (not sure where they were, but you could hear them) but after that there were only two OPs in the chapel for Mass -- the presiding priest (I'm guessing he's an OP, but he was in vestments rather than a habit, or maybe the vestments were covering up the habit, but either way there was no OP habit to be seen) and another person (in an OP habit) who was serving as acolyte. Not sure what the other OPs were doing, but they weren't there.

There were also a few (maybe 4-5 Sisters) whom I assume were Dominicans (OPs) but I'm not sure. I wouldn't describe their habits as "white" -- maybe cream-colored but it'd be a dark cream, almost more of a light tan. And they all had white (cream/tan) veils, made of the same fabric as the habit -- although often in hot climates everybody wears white veils because having your head covered with something black absorbing all that heat is a good way to get heat stroke, which is Not Recommended. So it could easily be that they continue to wear white veils after profession. But I was surprised to see that their habits were darker than I would have expected for OPs.

(I know that the orders that adopted white habits around 1200-ish were just going with undyed cloth, which was cheaper. But to the extent that the white has taken on a connotation of purity, these seemed kinda dirty!)

brandelynmarie

Similar to this color of cream? :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IM1KUBe3U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IM1KUBe3U&feature=related[/url]

It's the "undyed wool look". More "traditional" in color actually but much harder to clean -- you can't bleach it. :)