An Old School Catholic Message Board

Following God's Will....

Sarah147

How do we follow God's will?

My SD said to practice abandonment and follow God's graces by entering the doors He opens.

But how do we follow without falling into rushing our own way or the other extreme of Quietism?

I always feel that the first thing is surrender yourself to God. That was how I first felt a calling to religious life, it was at those times when I surrendered my will fully to God that I felt that tug towards a religious vocation. It sounds easy but it needs to be continual and total. We have to trust Him to guide us and allow ourselves to be led by Him.

Grace is obviously also a huge part. Frequenting the Sacraments, particularly the Eucharist and Reconciliation, can be invaluable in trying to follow God's will because of the graces we receive in these Sacraments. Making God the centre of your life, and living as holy a life as possible, and taking out as many things from your life that distract from God can all make it easier to figure out what is God's will and what is just 'noise'.

Sometimes we can't know for sure and we just have to take that leap of faith and trust that God will always guide us, even when we make mistakes.

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1330124326' post='2392529']
How do we follow God's will?

My SD said to practice abandonment and follow God's graces by entering the doors He opens.

But how do we follow without falling into rushing our own way or the other extreme of Quietism?
[/quote]

I read about the heresy of Quietism and it seems to me that they taught that we shouldn't do anything at all, and that after we've truly achieved this quiet state, there is no more sin, and no more need for prayer, Sacraments, etc. The Church teaches that we need to actively follow God and that we always need to pray and receive the Sacraments in this life, and guard ourselves against sin. I think if you actively discern God's will, and intend on following it, that wouldn't be Quietism... simply surrendering to His will and waiting, might be a good idea :) I think maybe abandonment is simply not caring where God calls us, and just being open to Him and trusting.. being more like a little child, like St Therese :)

[url]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Discerning-the-Will-of-God/Timothy-M-Gallagher/e/9780824524890[/url]

This book is AMAZING if you can get your hands on it.

I guess my message to you was more about finding/knowing God's will.

In terms of following it -- I guess I tend to think of each day as a Fiat, as me imitating Mary and attempting to Love God in the little things, hoping that by doing so, I am able to hear and execute His will in that day.

I have found that following God's Will involves a lot of trial and error. Are you going to make mistakes? Of course but the only thing that matters is that you learn from that mistake.
Also keep in mind that if God wants you to do something then He will provide what is necessary to make it happen. One example is needing the money to go on retreat. He gave me opportunities to make the money (house sitting, baby sitting extra hours at work etc). I just had to jump on them and do the work. I guess what I am saying is be able to see God at work in the everyday, that is how you get to the bigger picture of what His Will is for you.
Finally my priest once told me that if you are even just 51% sure about your vocation (or anything for that matter) then you need to at least try it out.

I think following God's Will is about avoiding sin and resisting temptation and we clearly know that this is God's Will for all of us. As we do so, we grow in virtue and find that attitudes and perceptions are subtely changing - its a journey. As we do slowly change I think we become more sensitive to the movements of The Holy Spirit and to Grace.
To avoid sin and resist temptation and to grow in virtue, one needs daily prayer with regular attendance at the Blessed Eucharist and Reconciliation - and a wise and holy spiritual director is the 'icing on the cake'!
St Therese of Lisieux said that God would not inspire desires He cannot fulfill. Hence if we desire ardently to resist sin and temptation and grow in virtue becoming more sensitive to the workings of the Holy Spirit and Grace in us (God's Will and Invitations), it will happen; however, some put a timeline on things and can become discouraged if personal expectations are not met. Patient trust with commitment and perseverance and come what may. Also, some can form a pre-conceived concept or notion about 'how I will be' when I am indeed growing and sensitive to The Holy Spirit and Grace - not a good move as what one may actually be doing is striving to fulfill one's own concepts and expectations, to live up to an imaginary image of oneself that resides in one's imagination.
With any growth of virtue and sensitivity to The Holy Spirit, humility will grow as well and we will be the last person to realize that we are indeed growing and progressing. This is where wise and holy spiritual direction is such an outstanding blessing - and especially if the discerning of God's Invitation is about one's call and vocation in life.

I think the answer to that question can be summed up very simply as, "Pray, hope, and don't worry."

I used to worry quite obsessively that I might not be following God's plan for my life. That stemmed from a lack of faith. I am weak, and God knows it, so why would my mistakes stop Him?

We seem bent on making the will of God into the most complicated thing in the world, when nothing could be simpler.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1330178524' post='2392822']
I think the answer to that question can be summed up very simply as, "Pray, hope, and don't worry."

I used to worry quite obsessively that I might not be following God's plan for my life. That stemmed from a lack of faith. I am weak, and God knows it, so why would my mistakes stop Him?

We seem bent on making the will of God into the most complicated thing in the world, when nothing could be simpler.
[/quote]

Amen.