An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clares

MarysLittleFlower

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345698282' post='2472465']
[color=#222222][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Just found out from a questionable source that the PCCs may not wear a scapular. I will ask the nuns about this on my next visit and let you know the 'official word'. If it is true, it may have to do with the fact that they were founded before Our Lady gave the scapular to St Simon Stock. [/background][/size][/color]

[/quote]

I have known 1-2 to wear the scapular but others don't. I have read several books - bios and studies -(on my favorite Franciscan saint, besides Clare and Francis!) St. Colette of Corbie who reformed the Poor Clares, hence the "Colettines", and who was instructed by God and picked by St. Francis of Assisi to reform his order (friars also - in the beginning they had a Colettine type name, though I forget now exactly what it was, and then didn't use it but they used all of her reformed rule, constitutions, practices etc. as well as the nuns) and in several of these books it says she didn't have the nuns wear the scapular due to their vow and life of Poverty and another reason/explanation which I read and understood then but as it was awhile ago, I can't remember it all now. So you are right there.

*****Sorry for double post, my computer is acting crazy!*********

Edited by Chiara Francesco

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lumiere' timestamp='1345689002' post='2472341']
It may allow for more air circulation or allow the nun to hear better.
[/quote]
[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345689205' post='2472349']
Ohhh, so it is sewn into the wimple then? I thought it was attached to the veil. So maybe that part of the wimple is cut out and the mesh is inserted, like you said Lumiere, for better air circulation and hearing capability? That makes much more sense! Thank you for all your help. :)
[/quote]

That's what I thought. It looks to be sewn in the place where the ears are to help the nuns hear better. :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I think it is probably a black tape that keeps the veil attached to the wimple so that the veil doesn't quickly get ruined by pins. The Cistercian nuns at Praire du Sac do something similar.

The scapular is not something of Fransciscan heritage..... and as far as the brown scapular is concerned - it is part of the Carmelite habit not the Franciscan. There are some Poor Clares that wear a scapular but it wasn't part of the original habit. :) (I got that info from one of the Poor Clares from Hanceville, Alabama.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Just what you were looking for! (And I wasn't even looking for it!) Here is how they put their veils on!
I always wonder why there aren't incidents of us swallowing pins! I always have them in my mouth when I pin my veil! :)

[url="http://www.erasedfromthelandscape.com/"]http://www.erasedfromthelandscape.com/[/url]

[color=#222222][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1345742752' post='2472737']
Just what you were looking for! (And I wasn't even looking for it!) Here is how they put their veils on!
I always wonder why there aren't incidents of us swallowing pins! I always have them in my mouth when I pin my veil! :)

[url="http://www.erasedfromthelandscape.com/"]http://www.erasedfromthelandscape.com/[/url]
[/quote]

And right at the beginning too! I love it. Out of props, but thank you for your help![/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1345728868' post='2472583']
The scapular is not something of Fransciscan heritage..... and as far as the brown scapular is concerned - it is part of the Carmelite habit not the Franciscan. There are some Poor Clares that wear a scapular but it wasn't part of the original habit. :) (I got that info from one of the Poor Clares from Hanceville, Alabama.
[/quote]
Thanks mantellata! I wonder if they permit Sisters to wear a little brown scapular? I am thinking not-their sense of poverty might inhibit this...but, as my mom said, "If you are a nun, you are probably fine without the scapular!"

You would have to ask your particular community. I know many that do allow Sisters some objects of personal devotion like scapulars and medals but I imagine that it depends. :)

Here is a thorough article on the PCC life, although it has some errors, and is from 1983. It speaks of the Poor Clare Monastery of Mary, Mother of the Church in Alexandria, VA. They were founded by the Roswell PCCs under Mother Mary Francis: [url="http://chatteringmind.com/articles/nunsinthecloister.html"]http://chatteringmin...hecloister.html[/url]

Edit: The community I referred to as 'under' Mother is Roswell, not Alexandria. Wanted to make that extra clear. :)

Edited by emmaberry

VeniJesuAmorMi

[url="http://www.pcheartponderings.blogspot.com/"]http://www.pcheartponderings.blogspot.com/[/url]

Just to share; I went to the blog "Poor Clare Heart Ponderings" from the Poor Clare Monastery in Barhamsville, Virginia. They are expecting 3 entrances very soon! It must be an exciting time for this community. There is a little more about it on the blog, and a nice picture of one of the soon-to-be entrances with the novitiate Sisters. :)

Found out I will be visiting the Roswell Poor Clares to meet the community and learn of my (hopeful) acceptance on September 12-14, the 14th being the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, AKA Saint Francis' sacred stigmata! Please pray for me. :pray:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1346202602' post='2475498']
Found out I will be visiting the Roswell Poor Clares to meet the community and learn of my (hopeful) acceptance on September 12-14, the 14th being the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, AKA Saint Francis' sacred stigmata! Please pray for me. :pray:
[/quote]

Praise God! That's wonderful news! I pray that you will learn of your acceptance soon! :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1346216312' post='2475628']
Praise God! That's wonderful news! [b]I pray that you will learn of your acceptance soon![/b] :)
[/quote]

Be assured of my prayers for your own impending acceptance as well! :pray:

[/quote]

Lovely news....................prayers for your visit and eventual acceptance into the community.

Strictlyinkblot

[/quote]

Wonderful! Prayers for you that everything goes according to His will

VeniJesuAmorMi

[/quote]

Praised be Jesus Christ! Now and forever.

This is very exciting! I hope you would share with us about your visit. (I'm already excited to hear about it!) I will keep you in prayer, and please say a prayer for me as I continue my discernment to the cloister as well.