An Old School Catholic Message Board

These Pictures Capture Carmel

the171

[url="http://www.lilialmog.com/Lilis_Web_Site/Perfect_Intimacy.html#0"]http://www.lilialmog.com/Lilis_Web_Site/Perfect_Intimacy.html#0[/url]

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Oh yes they do... I can't wait!! Well, I can wait, because it's all in God's time, and I am so not ready yet. :)

CLAIREEE, I just fished up this old blog post that made me laugh. The first part is what got me. How far I've come... [url="http://luckily-catholic.blogspot.com/2011/04/sadly.html"]http://luckily-catholic.blogspot.com/2011/04/sadly.html[/url]

These photos are from Israel, btw. It is difficult to identify the Carmel, but I think most are from Jerusalem; some from Haifa.

BarbTherese

I loved the one with the elderly nun holding the profession crucifix, shows hands and crucifix only. Also the one with the nun looking up which gave me a smile "is it a bird, is it a plane, is it .......... "
I love the absolute stark simplicity too. And those pics that show that it is not a new building. When imagining myself in religious life pre religious life as a youngie, I always imagined myself in habit and very much in a starkly simple and old building.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1331010303' post='2396752']
These photos are from Israel, btw. It is difficult to identify the Carmel, but I think most are from Jerusalem; some from Haifa.
[/quote]

She took the photographs in Haifa, Port Tobacco, and the beautiful little monastery in Bethlehem. :) The Bethlehem nuns gave me a copy of this book, but sadly I lost it. I need to get another.

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1331010451' post='2396753']
I think the Carmel is PT (Port Tobacco)
[/quote]

The style of architecture in most of the pictures is particular to Jerusalem, [note the stonework and arched windows] and the nun who appears to be napping has the Jerusalem Post on her lap. Another picture shows olive trees through the window. Lili Almog [almog is coral in Hebrew, btw] is an Israeli photographer and artist. There is also a large Carmel house and church on Mt. Carmel overlooking the bay at Haifa. But there are one or two photographs that could have been taken elsewhere.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1331030371' post='2396797']
The style of architecture in most of the pictures is particular to Jerusalem, [note the stonework and arched windows] and the nun who appears to be napping has the Jerusalem Post on her lap. Another picture shows olive trees through the window. Lili Almog [almog is coral in Hebrew, btw] is an Israeli photographer and artist. There is also a large Carmel house and church on Mt. Carmel overlooking the bay at Haifa. But there are one or two photographs that could have been taken elsewhere.
[/quote]

Probably should note that if the photographs are from the Bethlehem Carmel, that's only 4 km from downtown Jerusalem. The building probably dates from the 19th century.

Bethlehem Carmel was built in 1875. It's quite a wonderful story of how it came about. The foundress, Maryam Baouardy, was originally from Galilee, but when she joined an active order of sisters she was sent to France for her formation. The community ended up telling her that she would be far more suited to life in a cloister, as they found her experiences in prayer a bit daunting. (Maryam had the stigmata, and like St Teresa she was prone to the occasional spot of levitation at inconvenient moments.) She transferred to Carmel, and was eventually able to fulfil a dream of founding a monastery in the town of Christ's birth. She chose the site herself - a hillside overlooking the Church of the Nativity. Buildings have grown taller since her day, and now the Church can no longer be seen, and the monastery is pretty-near impossible to find unless you have a team of sniffer dogs and a GPS. Or maybe that's just me. I was blundering around the back streets of Bethlehem for ages when the relics of St Therese were there, and whenever I asked people for directions to the convent, they would ask, "But which one?" There are about six convents per ordinary house (or so it feels) and I got directed to everyone from the Rosary Sisters to the Brigittines before I eventually found poor Therese. :P