An Old School Catholic Message Board

Today Rendered Me Utterly Speechless

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

So, as most of you know, a while ago (Wow, that was a triple rhyme!) I called the Franciscan Brothers Minor. As stated in the thread, I was very nervous about it as I stutter, but when the call came, my speech was pretty okay, and my conversation with Brother Fidelis Maria was the best I have ever had with a vocations director. We talked for about fifteen minutes, and he basically wrote down all of my private information. I figured that he would be like other vocations directors and not talk to me unless I called him. However, today proved that [i]false. [/i]He called me, and I was completely speechless. I was caught completely off-guard. I had to re-compose myself after the initial shock, and I was completely confused. I didn't even know vocations directors would call you after a while to see how you were doing. He asked me about my prayer life, if I was reading anything, how my discernment was going, etc. It was sort of ruined because my house phone kept messing up, and after a few times of trying to talk he gave up and didn't try to call me back, but it really makes me happy to know that there are vocations directors that really do care and will call to check up on you.

Sorry if I bored you, I just needed to share my shock of the year.

BarbTherese

Really great news! You could always ring him back if still interested in the Franciscan Brothers Minor and explain/apologize for the bad phone connection, it happens - or write surface mail, email.

Queen'sDaughter

The Franciscan Brothers Minor are the best!

Edited because I realized that the Bennies are. But the Brothers are a close second!

Edited by Queen'sDaughter

Wonderful! I would follow that call up with an old fashioned letter, just a friendly one thanking him for the call and responding to some of his questions.

AuthorOfMyLife

I'm very happy for you! Thank you for sharing this.
By the way, I stutter, too (especially when I am nervous), so I sympathize with you.

PhuturePriest

I did call him again today. I explained to him that I was having a bad connection yesterday, but I felt I should call him to explain further, and to ask a very important question. I anticipated it the entire day, and when it came time to call him, I breathed slowly and calmed myself down, I prayed, and then I called. I was so calm and I had it all planned out, and had a perfect plan on how not to stutter. Unfortunately for me, he didn't answer that time or the time after that. Instead, he called me back when I was completely off-guard again. I did well at first, but it kinda got bad in the middle. I don't really care though because he understood and all was well.

But really, Brother Fidelis Maria is a very great vocations director. He and a Salesian I talked to are a model for all vocations directors.

Indwelling Trinity

This is amesome FP! My contnued prayers for you!

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

BarbTherese

Re your post [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/119569-today-rendered-me-utterly-speechless/page__view__findpost__p__2398027"]HERE[/url] - I am so very happy for you. When I read that your calls back were not answered by Brother Fidelis Maria as you had hoped .......... and then that he called you back and totally unexpectedly on your part, I thought to myself "Aint the Holy Spirit grand!" - Our God of The Surprise. Wonderful news and thank you very much for sharing. My prayers are with you daily also in both petition and thanksgiving!.............Barb

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1331287946' post='2398159']
Re your post [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/119569-today-rendered-me-utterly-speechless/page__view__findpost__p__2398027"]HERE[/url] - I am so very happy for you. When I read that your calls back were not answered by Brother Fidelis Maria as you had hoped .......... and then that he called you back and totally unexpectedly on your part, I thought to myself "Aint the Holy Spirit grand!" - Our God of The Surprise. Wonderful news and thank you very much for sharing. My prayers are with you daily also in both petition and thanksgiving!.............Barb
[/quote]

Honestly, I could've done without the surprise. I was having a really hard time speaking.

BarbTherese

I really am sorry to read that the surprise was not a happy one and presented difficulties. I hope you can take some consolation knowing the Brother FM is now aware of the problem you can have and is staying in contact with you nontheless - that it does not seem to be presenting any sort of an impediment and if in doubt, you can always ask him. Being a good Vocation Director, I am sure that if your speech problem was some sort of impediment to entering the FBM, he would have let you know.
If during your conversations with him you had spoken outstandingly without any problems, you might now be wondering if his attitude would remain the same once he became aware that you could have problems with speech.

Do you think it might be a good idea with Brother aware of your problem to ask him outright would it be any sort of impediment to the Franciscan Brothers Minor and your entering the Order? The response would put your mind completely at rest I hope. Contacting a Vocation Director can be an anxious time and I am sure that Brother is aware of this.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1331354653' post='2398546']
I really am sorry to read that the surprise was not a happy one and presented difficulties. I hope you can take some consolation knowing the Brother FM is now aware of the problem you can have and is staying in contact with you nontheless - that it does not seem to be presenting any sort of an impediment and if in doubt, you can always ask him. Being a good Vocation Director, I am sure that if your speech problem was some sort of impediment to entering the FBM, he would have let you know.
If during your conversations with him you had spoken outstandingly without any problems, you might now be wondering if his attitude would remain the same once he became aware that you could have problems with speech.

Do you think it might be a good idea with Brother aware of your problem to ask him outright would it be any sort of impediment to the Franciscan Brothers Minor and your entering the Order? The response would put your mind completely at rest I hope. Contacting a Vocation Director can be an anxious time and I am sure that Brother is aware of this.
[/quote]

I told him about this the first time I spoke with him, as stated in my original thread. It isn't usually a problem, and it's not as if I can't fix it. I just need some classes to help me is all. King George VI stammered and he was still able to be King and deliver speeches. In fact, he was a much worse case than I am. Besides, this would definitely not be a problem for any Religious Community. If this was going to stop me from entering a Community, that Community should really question its eligibility requirements. It's not as if I can't speak, I simply hate talking on phones, as phones are very difficult for me, which is characteristic for people that stammer. If I knew him in person and was able to speak with him personally it wouldn't be half as bad. Last August at the Midwest Catholic Family Conference I spoke to tons of people (Religious in particular) and I didn't have a problem.